Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will PG&E switch me from NEM1 to NEM2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 5 year old NEM1 PV system in PG&E territory, and last year I added (2) Powerwalls. I did my own interconnection, and was able to retain NEM1. I had the option to go to NEM2, but as I was only adding storage and not adding PV, NEM2 was not mandatory. Whether Tesla will do as good a job on processing your interconnection, I can't stay.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks Wayne, what do you mean by doing your own interconnection.

I mean that I handled the administrative process with PG&E to describe the equipment I was connecting to the grid and get my Permission To Operate from PG&E. Usually the contractor handles that, but it can be done by the customer. The process is done via the web portal at egi-pge.com. It was not self-explanatory, I had to get some guidance from someone at PG&E on how to describe adding storage (Powerwalls) to an existing system with PV. That is the NEM Paired Storage interconnection option.

Cheers, Wayne

My Powerwall PTO is 7/31/2018, so I don't really know if there were any changes subsequent to that. But the FAQ on this webpage still includes the following:

WHAT IF I MAKE MODIFICATIONS TO MY NEM1 SYSTEM?

If the renewable generator is modified or repaired during the "grandfathering" period, the customer will remain eligible only if the NEM1 system does not increase in size more than 10 percent of the generating capacity in the original PTO letter, or 1 kW, whichever is greater.

. . .

That's the same as when I did my interconnection. The interpretation at that time was that adding NEM paired storage is not increasing the size of the NEM1 system, so you can stay on NEM1. It's possible that interpretation has changed, although I'd be surprised.

Cheers, Wayne

I think the interpretation is on the basis of inverter capacity. They're apparently now treating the Powerwall inverters as additional generating capacity.

My information is second-hand, so I can only report what my brother told me. He definitely was switched off of his grandfathered rate, though.

I think the interpretation is on the basis of inverter capacity. They're apparently now treating the Powerwall inverters as additional generating capacity.

My information is second-hand, so I can only report what my brother told me. He definitely was switched off of his grandfathered rate, though.
Leave it to Pacific Graft and Extortion to figure a way to screw you, how can the powerwall inverter increase your generating capacity over 10%. My solar only generates so much electricity and I’m not adding any panels, so if your generations goes to the powerwall or the grid how does that increase your generation.

To be fair to them, it does increase the amount of power the system can generate, even if it doesn't increase the amount of energy the system can generate. That presumably does have an impact on their infrastructure since they have to be able to handle the additional power if it ever is exported.

@wwhitney would know better than me, but I was under the impression that there are different options for the Interconnect Agreement, one of which is Non-Export Paired Storage. This implies to me that the system would be configured so that the batteries never export power to the grid, only reduce or eliminate consumption, allowing only the existing solar to be exported. If this option is selected, then your installation should have no increased impact on the utility infrastructure. That should allow you to remain on NEM1. However, there may be other options for Interconnection which could logically lead to you losing your grandfathered status and push you into NEM2.

• Helpful
Reactions: Kant.Ing
I am answering my own question. I reached out to my contractor that is going to be installing the Powerwalls to my existing NEM1 PV system in SDG&E territory. He said that the new Powerwalls will not affect the NEM1 status.

Anyone with SDG&E in San Diego know about this? Does the addition of only a PW2 to an existing PV system installed years ago cause a forced change from NEM1 to NEM2?

• Helpful
Reactions: Kant.Ing
In PG&E area I’m being told that anytime there is an interconnection you get bumped. My system works because peak is 1pm to 7pm and before E6 I was on E7 and that was the best so to go to 3pm to 8pm I would lose hours of peak credit.

Merrill, I'v had solar panels since 2015 with SCE under NEM-1. I installed a Powerwall 2 last July and altered my Tiered pricing to TOU last December as I'm using the PW2 in Cost Savings mode which uses battery power during Peak periods. I contacted SCE yesterday as I had a question about Feed In Tariffs (the amount that SCE pays me to provide them with power versus what I pay to use during equal time periods - turns out it's one for one) and I asked them if I was now NEM-2 due to going TOU (or installing a PW2).

They told me, NO, I'm still NEM-1 which means I pay no fees whatsoever for tying my system to the grid. NEM-2 folks do pay a continuing fee but I'm grandfathered in. You likely are ALSO grandfathered as the NEM-1 designation is a State thing, not a utility thing.