Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will PG&E switch me from NEM1 to NEM2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you applying for any PGE rebates or incentives? If not, I would say PGE needs to know diddly. Get your building permit, do the work and be done. The powerwall is nothing more than a BBS. You already have the solar grid tie agreement in place and powerwall doesnt push energy to the grid.
That's just me.

As far as I know, you do need an interconnect agreement to attach the battery since it theoretically can backfeed to the grid. In any case, Tesla definitely does it this way and I'd be surprised if you could find any certified installers who would do it without.

SGIP is not currently available through Tesla and it's hard to get a price that's competitive with Tesla from other installers (because they know Tesla can't get SGIP right now). You may find that Tesla gives you a better price even compared to getting SGIP from another installer.

I believe that the current rules when you get the Powerwall both will move you to NEM 2.0 and off of the E-6 rate. They no longer let you keep grandfathered plans when installing a Powerwall.

I believe you will stay on NEM 1. You are not increasing the size of your solar system so you should be fine.

My brother was switched off of E-6 and I believe switched to NEM 2 as well when he got his PTO for the Powerwall. The Powerwalls are considered part of the generating system, so even if you don't touch the PV part you get switched. They changed the rules some time last year. I was able to keep both NEM 1 and the E-6 rate with a PTO date of 7/26/18. I believe my brother's PTO was about a month later.

My brother was switched off of E-6 and I believe switched to NEM 2 as well when he got his PTO for the Powerwall. The Powerwalls are considered part of the generating system, so even if you don't touch the PV part you get switched. They changed the rules some time last year. I was able to keep both NEM 1 and the E-6 rate with a PTO date of 7/26/18. I believe my brother's PTO was about a month later.
I will be using as back-up only so i believe it doesn' t apply in my case. I will know in a few months.

Even in the other modes, my Powerwall doesn't export to the grid, so as far as PG&E is concerned I don't think backup-only is any different. I hope you are right, but I wouldn't recommend that somebody make a buying decision that depends on this being the case.

My PG&E PTO for the Powerwalls came in April 2018. I am still on NEM 1.

I have heard that people were kicked out of E-6 when they added Powerwalls. I don't know why that would happen, but it did. Maybe it was a selection by the installer and not forced by PG&E?? I don't know.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
What is the difference in NEM1 and nem2, I’m already on tou.
NEM 2.0 has Non-Bypassable Charges (NBC). What this means is that for every kWh you draw from the grid, there is a small charge, less than 1 cent per kWh that you have to pay every month outside of your true-up. IIRC, you have a separate meter for your EV charging on EV-B, so this is not so consequential for you. You could just run your Powerwall(s) in Self-Powered mode and you would have minimal NBCs except in Winter when your consumption is larger than your generation.

Even though E-6 is a TOU rate, it's now a closed rate. You probably will have to move off of E-6 if you get Powerwalls. The main impact this will have is that the peak hours for the newer TOU rates go later (until 8 or 9pm). This would probably reduce how much credit you get for solar generation.
Yes this is what I fear, not sure what rate they would move me to because I have a second meter on EVB so they will not give me EVA.

I had E-6 already and I was able to stay to it w/ Powerwalls and PG&E. This was a system that was installed a little over a year ago by Tesla w/ SGIP.

Yes, me too. However my brother got his PTO a month later than me and was told that he missed the cut-off to stay on a grandfathered rate. They apparently changed their policy last summer. My PTO was received at the end of July 2018.

I have a 5 year old NEM1 PV system in PG&E territory, and last year I added (2) Powerwalls. I did my own interconnection, and was able to retain NEM1. I had the option to go to NEM2, but as I was only adding storage and not adding PV, NEM2 was not mandatory. Whether Tesla will do as good a job on processing your interconnection, I can't stay.

Cheers, Wayne