Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Plaid 19s fit my ‘22 M3LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m getting my 3LR late Jan/early Feb. I’ll keep the stock 18s for winter use and am searching for 19s. I’d have gone the M3P route, but really don’t want the stiffer ride and 20s on our cruddy roads. I’ll, be adding the AB.

There’s a local guy who just got a Plaid and is selling his 19s with 285 40 Pzeros. I understand that the lug spacing is different, so I’d need spacers when using the 19s. I won’t be lowering the car, but I do like the idea of pushing the wheels out a bit, thinking they’ll look a bit nicer anyway. Does this make sense? Any idea what spacers?
252A0ED5-D139-4E8E-98B8-84C16A8E2357.jpeg

The issue is the width of the Model S wheels and tires. 285 is super wide for your Model 3. Hard to fit at all, and will kill your range. You have to space it out for sure to clear the suspension, but it will poke out as well and will look kinda silly. If that's still worth it:

You can make it fit technically. Lots of people run 15mm spacers to look better with stock wheels, but you probably need at least 25mm with a 285 tire.

The PCD of a Model 3 is 5x114.3 and Model S is 5x120.
Center bore is 64.1 for both. Both use 14x1.5mm lug nuts.
Only issue here might be a Model 3 Performance if you have one- it has a step in the bore that could be an issue.

I looked around quickly and didn't find any spacers quickly, mostly because the Tesla 14mm lugs are bigger than the standard 14mm lugs.

Why not? They make PCD changing spacers. The wheels are larger PCD than the Model 3 so it's not even hard.

Amazon has plenty of them. If these were 14mm lugs, they would be perfect. The car would juts look silly:
As I've said - not going to fit with spacers. I also believe it's a very bad idea to use spacers with pcd change on Tesla...

Reactions: Gasaraki
How is a PCD change spacer any different than any other spacer? Tons of people use the Blox spacers which work exactly the same, just drilled a few mm off. I'd be interested to know why the physics are so different.
That's a thick spacer going on oversized wheel. I didn't checked the math, but I believe it won't fit. And considering Tesla torque, I would not expect reliability of that solution - it's not like aluminum spacer is comparable to hard steel hub.

That's a thick spacer going on oversized wheel. I didn't checked the math, but I believe it won't fit. And considering Tesla torque, I would not expect reliability of that solution - it's not like aluminum spacer is comparable to hard steel hub.
You should head over to this 115 post thread and tell them that they are all wrong and their wheels are about to fall off:

I'd also be interested to know why aluminum wheels don't fail all the time given they are bolted to a hard steel hub.

I still don't see the "oversized" wheel here- this is a 19" wheel with 35mm offset, which is the same as a Model 3 LR. Moving from 114.3 to 120 PCD only moves each stud out 2.85mm. This isn't going to make any difference. The issue here is the width of the wheel- but people that actually race have run 285's and wider on Model 3's, as long as you are OK with a lot of the tire sticking out beyond the fender and huge range loss. That's just not what the OP wanted, which is why this won't work, not because you can't find a spacer to safely drive around on.

You need to run at least a 15mm adapter to change the PCD.

if the wheels are 19x8.5 et35, you'd be running a 19x8.5 et20 effectively on a 285.

To run a 285 on a model 3, you should be running a 9.5" et35-40 in the rear. A 8.5 ET20 is approx 9.5 et32.5 give or take. So you'd probably need some camber to clear this, although not excessive.

For the fronts, no way would you be running a 285 without camber arms for added camber. This is an aggressive-ish fit.

Now, the other problem is tires. Model S sidewall on a 19" 285 is a 40 series side wall. So if you're using a take-off set of wheels, the tires are much too tall in the first place. You need to run a 285/35/19 if anything.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Mash
You should head over to this 115 post thread and tell them that they are all wrong and their wheels are about to fall off:

I'd also be interested to know why aluminum wheels don't fail all the time given they are bolted to a hard steel hub.

I still don't see the "oversized" wheel here- this is a 19" wheel with 35mm offset, which is the same as a Model 3 LR. Moving from 114.3 to 120 PCD only moves each stud out 2.85mm. This isn't going to make any difference. The issue here is the width of the wheel- but people that actually race have run 285's and wider on Model 3's, as long as you are OK with a lot of the tire sticking out beyond the fender and huge range loss. That's just not what the OP wanted, which is why this won't work, not because you can't find a spacer to safely drive around on.
The wheels are 19x9.5 ET40 in the front and 19x10.5 ET40 in the rear. There is no way these are going to fit with a 15mm spacer on top of that without aggressive camber.

On top of that, as @ifung90 kind of pointed out, the tires are far too tall for the Model 3 (equivalent to a Model Y).

OP: Just put together a tire and wheel set that is known to fit your upcoming new car, there's tons of options.

Reactions: Wdlfbio and Mash

I only want to say that wheels have thicker aluminium than spacers and MUCH larger surface contact of nut to seat vs stud to spacer. On top of that - Tesla has unusually high torque. We have lug nut torque specs 50% above standard. Those spacers are not designed for that. So it's just not a good idea.

But the main point, as others explained - it won't fit. And I'm on 275 daily and 295 on the track. It won't fit by height and it most probably won't fit by width. And it makes no sense from any perspective.

I only want to say that wheels have thicker aluminium than spacers and MUCH larger surface contact of nut to seat vs stud to spacer. On top of that - Tesla has unusually high torque. We have lug nut torque specs 50% above standard. Those spacers are not designed for that. So it's just not a good idea.

But the main point, as others explained - it won't fit. And I'm on 275 daily and 295 on the track. It won't fit by height and it most probably won't fit by width. And it makes no sense from any perspective.
Additionally, you would actually need the 15mm spacer up front just to clear the knuckle. But, again, you would then be rubbing on the fender without at least -2.5 degrees of camber.

Reactions: Mash
Then head over to the Blox thread and make sure everyone knows the spacers they are buying "weren't designed for that" and that the hundreds of people using them are in mortal danger.

I'm 100% with you that they won't fit- but the reason is they are too tall (which I missed originally too) not that you can't find spacers to put a 285 wide tire on a model 3.

Then head over to the Blox thread and make sure everyone knows the spacers they are buying "weren't designed for that" and that the hundreds of people using them are in mortal danger.

I'm 100% with you that they won't fit- but the reason is they are too tall (which I missed originally too) not that you can't find spacers to put a 285 wide tire on a model 3.
Why would I go to the church of spacers believers? I don't know what is the risk increase for catastrophic failure.

I've listed valid points why it's a bad idea for pcd shifting spacers on Tesla. Feel free to ignore those points, but telling me that there are many who are ok is not an argument. We live in the world where K&N made a fortune on believers, it doesn't make it a good idea.

I've listed valid points why it's a bad idea for pcd shifting spacers on Tesla.
No you didn't. You first said they won't fit (they will). Then you said it's a bad idea (no data). Then you say you didn't check the math but it won't fit, and that aluminum and steel don't mix, despite the fact that the stock wheels are aluminum, and a spacer has more AL in contact with the rotor that the stock wheels. Then you claim that spacers aren't designed to be spacers, and that our torques are unusual (they aren't for a 14mm stud). Lots of cars use 130 ft/lb torques:

Spacers with pcd change won't fit.
I also believe it's a very bad idea to use spacers with pcd change on Tesla...

This appears to prove that you have a deep affection for bad ideas😁. You cannot put a 285 Tire on the front of the model 3 with a spacer. It just won't fit. Particularly not in a 19 inch size 40 series. It won't clear the front steering knuckle irrespective of what you do with the spacer. And then as three experienced people have clarified, it's just not safe. But then again you know better!

You cannot put a 285 Tire on the front of the model 3 with a spacer. It just won't fit.
Weird. I've run 285 Hoosiers on a Mustang 18" wheel on my Model 3. It took a spacer to do it and fix the offset to clear the arm, but then it fit fine. I mean, saying you can't make something fit with a spacer as an absolute is silly- you can make a 10 foot spacer that keeps the tire completely away from the car.

Like I said in the post you quoted, of course it won't actually fit due to the overall diameter. But properly sized 285's do fit with the right suspension setup, and a spacer is just changing the offset of a given wheel you have. If you can't use a spacer to make a 285 fit, then you can't make 285's fit at all. It's not like we want more offset to fit a 285.

I believe what you meant to say was "you can't make a 285 fit on a stock model 3 suspension" which may be true. But you needed to focus on the irrelevant spacer so you could then focus on a person.

And then as three experienced people have clarified, it's just not safe.
Three? I see one person above discussing the spacer as unsafe (without any data). ifung90 and masterc17 didn't mention safety at all, they just had good inputs on why it won't fit (which had nothing to do with the spacer). Seems like you might be making up some stuff, kind of like:

Please do keep talking but only to yourself because I have you on ignore.

It's so odd that you could quote someone you had on ignore... TMC should really check their software, appears to have a bug.

No you didn't. You first said they won't fit (they will). Then you said it's a bad idea (no data). Then you say you didn't check the math but it won't fit, and that aluminum and steel don't mix, despite the fact that the stock wheels are aluminum, and a spacer has more AL in contact with the rotor that the stock wheels. Then you claim that spacers aren't designed to be spacers, and that our torques are unusual (they aren't for a 14mm stud). Lots of cars use 130 ft/lb torques:
I think that you're not reading what you're quoting and my English is not good enough to be more clear. I stand behind my words and not going to debate things I didn't say.