Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Porsche Mission E be the right vehicle for me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have postponed buying a Tesla for more than 1.5 years now. Though the Model S and 3 are attractive in terms of technology and exterior design, I don't like their interior design and build quality. I also like the car to handle better than current Tesla cars. More like a sports car.

Mission E will be full electric, have awesome Porsche design (both interior and exterior) and better driving dynamics than a Model S / 3. The only issue with this car would be the charging infrastructure. Hopefully Porsche's planned ultra-fast charging stations are available in decent numbers by end of next year in US. Also it may lag behind tesla in terms of autopilot. But, I don't need full self driving. Just TACC, lane keeping and parking. TACC should work even in stop and go traffic.

I have to decide if I would buy a Model S or 3 now (Can order 3 in March / April according tot he estimator) or just stick with my current Audi A4 and wait for mission E.

Last edited:
The only issue with this car would be the charging infrastructure

I'd also be concerned about whether they can create a pure-EV right-first-time, and would not want to be an early adopter. Hasn't stopped people buying new Tesla models off-the-drawing-board though ...

Hopefully Porsche's planned ultra-fast charging stations are available in decent numbers by end of next year in US

I'll eat my hat ... :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Texas
Will Porsche Mission E be the right vehicle for me?

It depends on how old you are. If you are a teenager, then sure. By they time you can financially support yourself and get the money to buy yourself a Porsche, Mission E will be in the market. But if you are in the 40s or 50s then it all depends on your life expectancy. Average life expectancy is what 70+ in the US? Not sure if you will see one before you die.

I think there are a lot of unanswered questions with the Mission E Porsche at this point. The newer model S handles better than the old. The best suspension in a model S was the P85+. I still have a Boxster in the garage-the buttons are awfully small but I still enjoy the sports car feel once in a while. I like the minimalist design of Tesla's interiors. As others have mentioned you can get a tesla today.

If you want a long distance electric car the only way to go is a Tesla.

FWIW: my wife drives a Porsche and although is enjoyable to drive but comes nowhere near my Tesla X. Very complicated dash too.

Her 3 is right around the corner (AWD version) and the Porsche will be "retired".
Does 3 dirve better than a Porsche? That would be a surprise. I know the EV drivetrain will make a difference, but a Porsche and an EV combined should be better.

The torque of EV and the handling of Porsche is what I want.

• Disagree
Reactions: X Fan
By the time Porsche and other manufacturer's cars proliferate to EV's I would think that superchargers would follow suit, seeing that they already have gazillions of dealerships all over the US. Gas station will have to convert to 'EV', or the more generic 'Filling', stations too. And electricity is already available there. So one could wait until then and have more competitive choices or by a Tesla now and enjoy it right away,

Does 3 dirve better than a Porsche? That would be a surprise. I know the EV drivetrain will make a difference, but a Porsche and an EV combined should be better. The torque of EV and the handling of Porsche is what I want.
Looks like Porsche has purchased a Model 3 and is sending it to Stuttgart for some reverse engineering... :cool:
I am a long-term Porsche owner and I would take the current Model S over the Mission E... not the Model 3.
Tesla Model 3 vehicles spotted on their way to Germany, presumably to be reverse-engineered
Two Tesla Model 3 vehicles were spotted in air freight inbound for Germany – presumably to be reverse-engineered. It wouldn’t be the first time. Last year, Mercedes benchmarked and dismantled a Tesla Model X in the weirdest way ahead of launching its own electric SUV. A year earlier, Audi did the same thing to the Model X, but they did it by buying their own Model X in the US before it was available in Europe.

It’s clear that German luxury automakers are interested in what Tesla is doing since the Model S has been seriously disrupting a car segment that they had been dominating for decades. Now Thomas Walther shared pictures on Twitter of two Tesla Model 3 vehicles in air freight apparently inbound for Germany: Walther shared the images with the hashtag “Leipzig”, which is a hub for BMW in Germany, but there’s also a DHL sticker referencing Stuttgart, which is home to Mercedes-Benz and Porsche.
model-3-leipzig-1.jpeg

Reactions: bhzmark
Looks like Porsche has purchased a Model 3 and is sending it to Stuttgart for some reverse engineering... :cool:
I am a long-term Porsche owner and I would take the current Model S over the Mission E... not the Model 3.

The Model S has so much body roll. Not sure how it can compare to a Porsche. I know the EV torque makes acceleration awesome, but handling is still an issue since the Model S is so large.

Learning from competitors cars is nothing new. The Model 3 was tested with BMW and Maserati. There was a video about it.

The Model S has so much body roll. Not sure how it can compare to a Porsche. I know the EV torque makes acceleration awesome, but handling is still an issue since the Model S is so large.

Learning from competitors cars is nothing new. The Model 3 was tested with BMW and Maserati. There was a video about it.

Yes, 2 different demographics ... I view the Model S as a more direct competitor with the Panamera (only 18 Pana-SE were sold in 2018).
The Mission E is really designed to be a 4 door sports car that you can drive to the track. Not as fast as the Model S, but more capable in handling, balance, and continuous hard driving. I use the Model S as a high performance daily driver and keep the P-cars as track tools for the weekend.:cool:
More information here: Porsche Mission E to start at ~$75,000 with three performance trims, report says
Porsche apparently aims for its powertrain to be able to sustain power for long periods of time without overheating – long enough to manage some laps at the track or high-speeds on the autobahn. Lastly, the publication also claims that they are going for a “real-world range of 300 miles” on a single charge.

Yes, 2 different demographics ... I view the Model S as a more direct competitor with the Panamera (only 18 Pana-SE were sold in 2018).
The Mission E is really designed to be a 4 door sports car that you can drive to the track. Not as fast as the Model S, but more capable in handling, balance, and continuous hard driving. I use the Model S as a high performance daily driver and keep the P-cars as track tools for the weekend.:cool:
More information here: Porsche Mission E to start at ~$75,000 with three performance trims, report says
Porsche apparently aims for its powertrain to be able to sustain power for long periods of time without overheating – long enough to manage some laps at the track or high-speeds on the autobahn. Lastly, the publication also claims that they are going for a “real-world range of 300 miles” on a single charge.
All of that info is just speculation. Frankly, I cannot see the Misson E starting anywhere below six figures.

• Disagree
Reactions: gowthamn
All of that info is just speculation. Frankly, I cannot see the Misson E starting anywhere below six figures.
Porsche has confirmed the based price, however, it is common to more than double the base with options... everything is A-la-carte :cool:
The price is not really surprising since Porsche has made it clear that they are going after the Tesla Model S with this new vehicle.

The German automaker’s CEO recently admitted that Tesla is stealing away some customers and Mission E test mules were spotted being benchmarked against Tesla vehicles. We expected the vehicle to start around the same price as the Model S or a little higher with options pushing pricing to around $140,000-$150,000, like the Model S P100D.

comparison opinions with Model S v Porsche:

Driving experience And although they’re surprisingly similarly matched in terms of acceleration, it’s the Tesla that often feels the faster, because its electric motors respond so instantly. The surge you feel when you press the accelerator is genuinely thrilling. It’s less impressive through corners though, and it’s here where the breeding of the Porsche comes to the fore. The Panamera is simply on another level, with brilliant agility, never-ending grip and loads of feedback to engage the driver. Yet it does all this with a good ride quality too, proving smoother than the Model S’ easily-irritated suspension. Over broken surfaces, the difference between the two is stark. The Telsa is very refined, mainly thanks to its vibration-free electric drivetrain. At all times, it’s quieter than the Porsche, whose eight-speed gearbox can also be jerky at low speeds, again in contrast to the super-silky Model S. Another big wow factor with the Tesla is its massive 17-inch central touchscreen, through which you mastermind virtually the entire car. It takes a bit of getting used to but is a real talking point.

Review: Porsche Panamera v Tesla Model S head-to-head

"Slalom: Unreal. How Porsche engineered a car of this size and weight to feel like a compact sport sedan is beyond me. Crisp turn-in, zero yaw delay, precise steering, gentle oversteer and predictable reactions when going to the throttle all add up to an amazing and memorable slalom exercise. Nearly the same freedom allowed with PSM on, but I noticed it most at the exit where it disallowed throttle until the steering wheel was more or less straight. Still, it feels like a car half its size and weight.
Porsche Panamera GTS vs. Tesla Model S Track Test

But on the Model 3:

"What’s blanching, though, is the car’s ride and handling. If anybody was expecting a typical boring electric sedan here, nope. The ride is Alfa Giulia (maybe even Quadrifoglio)–firm, and quickly, I’m carving Stunt Road like a Sochi Olympics giant slalomer, micrometering my swipes at the apexes. I glance at Franz—this OK? “Go for it,” he nods. The Model 3 is so unexpected scalpel-like, I’m sputtering for adjectives. The steering ratio is quick, the effort is light (for me), but there’s enough light tremble against your fingers to hear the cornering negotiations between Stunt Road and these 235/40R19 tires (Continental ProContact RX m+s’s). And to mention body roll is to have already said too much about it. Sure, that battery is low, way down under the floor. But unlike the aluminum Model S, the Tesla Model 3 is composed of steel, too, and this car’s glass ceiling can’t be helping the center of gravity’s height. Nearly-nil body roll? Magic, I’m telling you. Magic. And this is the single-motor, rear-wheel-drive starting point. The already boggled mind boggles further at the mention of Dual Motor and Ludicrous." Exclusive: Tesla Model 3 First Drive Review - Motor Trend

"The car’s low battery location, fast steering, and firm springing give it a go-kart quality, and it quickly points to the right with a fraction of the expected body roll. On most laps it relaxes into a mild understeer, 0.87g cornering stance. But a few times I chuck it in and use its 3,902 pounds to rotate into brief drifts. Its lap is a crisp 25.7 seconds. This is a very digital car to drive: Brake, dial in one single steering angle, wait for the corner to end, and tidily accelerate. Most sedans are a conga line of steering corrections and throttle stabs. After thinking about it, perhaps just the Porsche Cayman and Boxster and the Honda Civic Type R that were on hand today drive this precisely."
First Model 3 Instrumented Test Reveals Go-Kart-like Handling, Beats BMW 330i

If a car is “right” for an individual is a very subjective question that depends upon dozens of variables to one degree or another.
I can tell you the Porsche isn’t the car for me, but I don’t know if it is the car for you.

From what you have said, it sounds like the Model 3 would be a better driving experience for you. And since you are ok waiting for the Mission E, wait until you can test drive a Model 3. You will then have at least half the information available to you.

I have postponed buying a Tesla for more than 1.5 years now. Though the Model S and 3 are attractive in terms of technology and exterior design, I don't like their interior design and build quality. I also like the car to handle better than current Tesla cars. More like a sports car.

Mission E will be full electric, have awesome Porsche design (both interior and exterior) and better driving dynamics than a Model S / 3. The only issue with this car would be the charging infrastructure. Hopefully Porsche's planned ultra-fast charging stations are available in decent numbers by end of next year in US. Also it may lag behind tesla in terms of autopilot. But, I don't need full self driving. Just TACC, lane keeping and parking. TACC should work even in stop and go traffic.

I have to decide if I would buy a Model S or 3 now (Can order 3 in March / April according tot he estimator) or just stick with my current Audi A4 and wait for mission E.

When it comes to cars, waiting is pretty much always the most sensible option. And if you don't have a problem buying Volkswagens, then it's fine to wait for the Mission E.