Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Porsche Mission E be the right vehicle for me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well if it's worse than an A4, then I think someone would have said something by now. A kiddy-version Camaro will disembowel any A4 in the twisties and it's a $25k car. The track versions? Makes anything Audi sells cry... ;)
The A4 is a family car. More sporty than family cars costing less than 30k though. But Audi is more luxurious than Camaro.
It's the same reason I don't want to buy a Model S. It's not sporty. Don't know about Model 3. But Porsche drives awesome.

I'm sure it will be fantastic to drive, but there will be no Porsche supercharging network so you probably won't take it far. Tesla has a 6 year head start building the network and I doubt other large manufacturers would spend the money to put in stations at a similar or faster pace. Mission E will probably rely on 3rd party stations and that will be another hassle to deal with.
The network that Porsche will reply on in the US initially is one being built by.... Porsche (VW Group) doing business as Electrify America. In Europe, VW is involved in multiple efforts to install ultra-fast charging.

Their SC network will consist solely of fast chargers at Porsche stations and the existing public chademo network, exactly as Nissan did.
I suppose it’s possible that they could install some ultra-fast chargers at Porsche-specific locations, but they certainly won’t be relying on “the existing public chademo network”. Porsche is using CCS, not CHAdeMO.

Electrify America’s schedule calls for 50+ highway charging locations in California by late 2019 with between 4 and 10 charging stalls at each locations. All stalls will be 150 kW capable and about half will also be 350 kW capable.

Outside of California, they plan to build 150 highway charging locations by mid-2019 but with no specific promises for 350 kW charging. Another 90-100 locations would be in development by mid-2019 and likely completed in the next year or so.

This is the map of the initial ~300 locations. None of these are at or near Porsche or VW dealers and they are brand neutral. It is roughly similar is overall coverage density to where Tesla was in late 2015. The highlighted yellow areas are 17 metro areas that will additionally get community 240V L2 charging and some community fast charging plaza clusters.

C255DB64-CC20-4727-A191-F1BDCE338AA4.png

Last edited:
The network that Porsche will reply on in the US initially is one being built by.... Porsche (VW Group) doing business as Electrify America. In Europe, VW is involved in multiple efforts to install ultra-fast charging.

I suppose it’s possible that they could install some ultra-fast chargers at Porsche-specific locations, but they certainly won’t be relying on “the existing public chademo network”. Porsche is using CCS, not CHAdeMO.

Electrify America’s schedule calls for 50+ highway charging locations in California by late 2019 with between 4 and 10 charging stalls at each locations. All stalls will be 150 kW capable and about half will also be 350 kW capable.

Outside of California, they plan to build 150 highway charging locations by mid-2019 but with no specific promises for 350 kW charging. Another 90-100 locations would be in development by mid-2019 and likely completed in the next year or so.

This is the map of the initial ~300 locations. None of these are at or near Porsche or VW dealers and they are brand neutral. It is roughly similar is overall coverage density to where Tesla was in late 2015. The highlighted yellow areas are 17 metro areas that will additionally get community 240V L2 charging and some community fast charging plaza clusters.

View attachment 276858
How many plugs per location?

View attachment 276858
This is very useful information.

View attachment 276858
This is not a VW-Porsche network ... the Dieselgate settlement requires this infrastructure will be open to all brands :cool:

Do you own any P-cars ... if not, go for a drive on the track and see what it's all about :cool:

I don't drive on a track. I drive on a two lane mountain road. The S and the 3 handle it just fine. I pass P-cars going up hill. I don't understand the excitement, never did for 50 years. Not my choice of car.

Took a Porsche driver for a ride one rainy day. After 2 minutes he got it. Heard a couple months later that he'd sold his Porsche and bought a Tesla. To each his own, I guess.

I don't drive on a track. I drive on a two lane mountain road. The S and the 3 handle it just fine. I pass P-cars going up hill. I don't understand the excitement, never did for 50 years. Not my choice of car.

Took a Porsche driver for a ride one rainy day. After 2 minutes he got it. Heard a couple months later that he'd sold his Porsche and bought a Tesla. To each his own, I guess.

Yes. Some like acceleration and instant torque. They will like Tesla. If one wants handling and nimbleness, then they won't like the Model S.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark

You are missing half of the driving experience.
Both are great cars for different purposes on the track/street...the truth will set you free :cool:

You are missing half of the driving experience.
Both are great cars for different purposes on the track/street...the truth will set you free :cool:

Cars are so good today, that if somebody wants to 'feel' excitement, they are probably better off with something that isn't leading the pack.
Supercars aren't scary like they used to be even with all the babysitters off. The speeds required to get a modern supercar to it's limits aren't something practical for the street.

(my def of Supercar: under 100' from 60-0, more than 1.05g lateral, more than 175mph up top, will lap a track 10 laps without hurting it).

Last edited: