Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will pre-cameras Model S be easier to retrofit now with vision only FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd have to vote for doubtful though I'm not an engineer. From my perspective the 3 front cameras would have to be replaced; the side markers would have to be replaced; and, I'm uncertain how you would mount the B pillar cameras. They appear to be form fitted into the pillars on cars built after 2016 or so. Unless one just loves challenges it seem overall more sensible to just buy a car with the camera locations already defined.
And, if the goal is FSD, you might want to explore and research some more. I own a 2016 with AP1 and a 2021 with FSD. FSD was a mistake purchase which I will freely acknowledge. I now think it will take yet another iteration of hardware and the software isn't ready either. IMHO.
My 2016 does everything I need on road trips with only the Mobileye. I have not updated to v11 software so my sensors and radar still work and I am happy as a clam. With the 2021, not so much.

Reactions: IslandHydro
Beyond adding 7 cameras, you also need new vehicle harnesses (which are very difficult to replace), and a new AP3 processor. The entire braking system changed as well, so all the brake system components need to be replaced. The steering rack should also be replaced, as it now has redundant power (although early FSD cars didn't have this). Need a new windshield for the cameras, and new side pillar glass on both sides. I'm likely missing something else that is needed, as so much changed between the pre-refresh 2016 and the post-refresh 2016.

You also need to pay for FSD ($15K) and get it activated. If possible, I'd expect the cost to greatly exceed the price difference between your old car and a used car with FSD.

• Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec
To be fair, folks have added AP1 to these cars (much easier than AP2) , And I can see an enthusiast gutting the car and retrofitting cameras and brains into these classics just for the challenge and satisfaction. Of course, it would take so much time and money that this cannot be a plan to replicate

Reactions: dbldwn02