Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Premium Connectivity come to the SR+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve heard this mentioned a few times, and referencing this Tesla support page:

Where can Premium Connectivity be purchased?
Tesla owners will be able to purchase Premium Connectivity through the in-car touchscreen. We anticipate rolling out this functionality later this year.

I wonder if they’re referring to any Model 3, or specifically those with the Premium Interior only (MR, LR, etc).

Looking to order my Model 3 in the coming month, and would really love to have Premium Connectivity (live traffic views, satellite maps, streaming audio, etc). Would be great if it becomes an upgrade / option for the SR+ at one point.

Thoughts?

I actually spend a lot of extra money for the LR because of those premium connectivity features. Tesla said that the features would not be available on the SR+, and would never be. That's why I bought the LR even though I didn't need the range. I'd be kinda pissed if they enable that option for SR+ owners anyway

I actually spend a lot of extra money for the LR because of those premium connectivity features. Tesla said that the features would not be available on the SR+, and would never be. That's why I bought the LR even though I didn't need the range. I'd be kinda pissed if they enable that option for SR+ owners anyway
If offered it will likely be 1K or so to add the package.

That’s the situation I’m in. I really don’t need LR or AWD (I’m coming from a 200km range RWD BEV), but would really prefer those connectivity features.

It was announced since July 2018 when it said "later this year" which is now last year.

Only if we could have a mind reader on Tesla!

Ahh, thanks - figured it was recent on the site. That’s good to know, I shouldn’t put much value into that being listed on the site.

If offered it will likely be 1K or so to add the package.

Given that the difference from SR+ to LR for me in Canada is $20K (SR+ receives a $5K government incentive where the LR does not), I’d happily pay $1K for that upgrade, lol. I can definitely appreciate the more significant differences in that upgrade though (larger battery, additional motor for AWD, faster performance).

I was told Sept time frame, monthly subscription.
This could be a better idea than a one time purchase. The only downsize is people might sign up and pay for a month to do a trip and then cancel for several months. Tesla could probably charge $75 to $100 for it so could be a good revenue model. Might even do something like a small up front price (to discourage monthly cancelers). Maybe something like $250 setup fee and then $75 a month. Be interesting to see what Tesla does. I considered a SR+ but did want the Premium connectivity so went AWD.

This could be a better idea than a one time purchase. The only downsize is people might sign up and pay for a month to do a trip and then cancel for several months. Tesla could probably charge $75 to $100 for it so could be a good revenue model. Might even do something like a small up front price (to discourage monthly cancelers). Maybe something like $250 setup fee and then $75 a month. Be interesting to see what Tesla does. I considered a SR+ but did want the Premium connectivity so went AWD.

Or even a lifetime subscription for a one time fee.

Fred

Ouch, $75 a month is way too much. Tesla said they would be charging "around" $100 annually for the premium subscription. If Tesla wants people to buy the SR+ over the SR they should require buyers to purchase or upgrade to the SR+ to get the premium connectivity.
You are conflating. After one year people who BOUGHT the Premium Interior (MR, LR, AWD & Performance) will have to pay $100 a year. This is to cover the cellular data cost to Tesla. If you have Premium Interior and don't pay you will lose Premium Connectivity. If Tesla offers the Premium Connection Package to SR (+) owners they better have to pay something for it since those who bought the Premium Interior paid a "premium" for these features. No way Tesla is going to just "give them away" for nothing.

Also the SR+ doesn't have Premium Connectivity. It is the same as the SR.

Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity
Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 3.49.43 PM.png

Last edited:
You are conflating. After one year people who BOUGHT the Premium Interior (MR, LR, AWD & Performance) will have to pay $100 a year. This is to cover the cellular data cost to Tesla. If you have Premium Interior and don't pay you will lose Premium Connectivity. If Tesla offers the Premium Connection Package to SR (+) owners they better have to pay something for it since those who bought the Premium Interior paid a "premium" for these features. No way Tesla is going to just "give them away" for nothing.

Also the SR+ doesn't have Premium Connectivity. It is the same as the SR.

Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity
View attachment 421018

That definitely sounds like its much more likely that SR+ won't get premium connectivity. I do agree though - if it were an option for SR+, there should be some sort of cost to it in addition to the annual $100 or wherever it ends up.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the LR model for this reason, though the larger battery capacity and dual motor are definitely nice as well (among a few other things).

From Tesla's FAQ page it suggests that cars that did not ship with Premium Connectivity will have the option to purchase it (or some variant) at some point. From their website:

Will there be a trial period for Premium Connectivity?
For all Model S and Model X cars ordered on or after July 1, 2018, Premium Connectivity will be complimentary for one year after delivery, as well as all Model 3 cars with Premium Interior. After the complimentary period ends, Standard Connectivity will be available for all cars at no cost, and Premium Connectivity will be available for purchase via the in-car touchscreen. Connectivity plans for Model 3 without Premium Interior will be announced later this year.

From Tesla's FAQ page it suggests that cars that did not ship with Premium Connectivity will have the option to purchase it (or some variant) at some point. From their website:

For all Model S and Model X cars ordered on or after July 1, 2018, Premium Connectivity will be complimentary for one year after delivery, as well as all Model 3 cars with Premium Interior. After the complimentary period ends, Standard Connectivity will be available for all cars at no cost, and Premium Connectivity will be available for purchase via the in-car touchscreen. Connectivity plans for Model 3 without Premium Interior will be announced later this year.

Nice - somehow missed that when I read it earlier. Though this was 2018 and still yet to see it happen.

Wait a minute, premium connectivity in my LR AWD is only for one year? Honestly, I do NOT remember it saying one year complimentary when I purchased. I know I compared the SR+, LR and Performance and I did not remember seeing it as one year only.

Reactions: JasonCinOtt
My SR+ rolled off the lot with premium connectivity, sat maps, browser, real time traffic, etc. Within 50kms it corrected itself and disappeared, but it's pretty obvious that it's just a simple software lock. Tesla is strapped for revenue and I wouldn't be shocked to see them rolling out this as an option for even us base model peasants. It's a good source of easy recurring revenue for them and will cost them nearly nothing to enable.

You think streaming radio and sat maps are worth thousands more? Nobody purchased LR or MR for the "premium streaming radio" they did it for the battery. Give me a break. If you don't think Tesla is going to charge $100 a year for every SR and SR+ owner you're delusional. That's free money for them and no reason why they wouldn't.

Wait a minute, premium connectivity in my LR AWD is only for one year? Honestly, I do NOT remember it saying one year complimentary when I purchased. I know I compared the SR+, LR and Performance and I did not remember seeing it as one year only.
It is about the cost of the cell data that Tesla has pay. Is it worth 27¢ a day to pay for the extra cell data to deliver the data intense Premium Connectivity features? If 27¢ a day is too much for you to pay then you will not continue to get the features.