Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will preowned Model S' with free supercharger access go up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently picked up my parents model S with AP2 and I was very impressed so now I'm considering purchasing a CPO model S for my wife. I want to wait for my lease on my MDX to be completed (Sept 17) before I buy but the Tesla sales advisor said that Tesla was speculating that preowned cars will actually go up in value over the 6-9 months because they have supercharger access grandfathered in and the new Model S' will be charged a fee to use the superchargers. Personally I'm skeptical that a used car will actually appreciate but wanted to see what others think.

I could certainly see AP2 grandfathered cars going up in value.

But, I can't see an AP1 car going up by much in the near future. I'm pretty skeptical on that one until there are a lot more superchargers. At that point the free supercharging might add 5-10% onto the value of the car.

Perhaps. The AP2 cars are most likely. But...

If I saw 2 cars, one with unlimited interstate refueling, one with pay as you go interstate refueling, it would actually be decided by other features or color. Traveling interstate is not cheap. Fuel costs are a fraction of total costs. Time, food, hotels, shopping are each bigger than fuel costs which is no higher than #5

Reactions: Manzacoty
I could see the value of grandfathered CPO vehicles going up a bit but not that much. People buy Teslas for a lot of different reasons. The crowd that travels 750-1000+ miles a week looking to save on gas is who I think might pay a little more for a grandfathered car.

I've read that some people actually use the supercharger as the primary fuel source but honestly, I can't see it for myself. It's already a PITA to go to the gas station to fuel up for 5 min so finding supercharger to fuel up for 20-30 min would be pretty much unbearable. If I did a lot of long distance traveling then I could see it being a selling point.

Maybe the more important question is new v. used.

I'm not really interested in breaking the lease. Currently I've got 3 cars (GTR, MDX and CT200h). The GTR and CT are both paid off and I've got 9 mo. left on MDX lease. My plan is to wait for the end of the lease and trade in the CT and purchase a used MS for my wife. But I've considered getting rid of my GTR and buying a used MS (for myself) which would be close to an even trade. Trading the CT and paying the difference isn't an option since I'm still paying on the MDX and don't want 2 car payments.

From what I've been told, CPO cars sold after 1/1 will NOT have non-metered SuC. Tesla will remove that feature, thereby reclaiming part of that cost. As a result, Tesla can choose to reduce the price of the car, or increase the margin/profit when they resell it. Remember, supercharging isn't "free" to customers. The expected cost of charging for the lifetime of the car was baked into the original price. We can debate if Tesla's original models were accurate, but it wasn't free to the customer. It was not-metered. Now it is.

Cars sold privately will maintain unlimited (non-metered) charging.

You haven't been around here long -- things "stated" by Tesla employees, while well-meaning and honest, are only the result of their intentionally limited real knowledge of future company policies.
Correct I am new as we plan to buy a CPO in Janunary. not new to the car game as its #51 that I have bought.

So, are they doing/saying things just to make a sale?

I don't want to get into a 60+k car and have tons of issues, no support, etc. free charging is a plus as they are opening a SC station about 5 miles from me.

Correct I am new as we plan to buy a CPO in Janunary. not new to the car game as its #51 that I have bought.

So, are they doing/saying things just to make a sale?

I don't want to get into a 60+k car and have tons of issues, no support, etc. free charging is a plus as they are opening a SC station about 5 miles from me.

No, I don't think they are just trying to make a sale. If that were the case, they'd be telling you to hurry up and buy now before included Supercharging expires.

Tesla employees are historically kept in the dark. In my opinion,(and I have little to base this on other than a day spent in a Gallery, listening to conversations), sales personnel spend spare time discussing among themselves, and perhaps local supervisors, the future of the company and its products. I think they come up with things that sound reasonable and fair. It is natural for some employees to take the speculation of more experienced personnel as "fact", when it is actually just speculation.

Get something in writing if it is important to you. I suspect they will not give you anything if it isn't a part of a publicly published policy. Even having an email doesn't constitute a valid policy statement. It needs to be a policy statement from Tesla, not a well-meaning employee.

Having a local supercharger is a bad reason to buy. The ability to use local Superchargers without payment is in danger of being cancelled at any time.

Reactions: Indpowr