Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will range increase substantially on model s in 2015?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A 100kWh pack would be great. There are still many legs without Superchargers. It also extends your say trip range without even needed a charge.

Looking at the future map for SCs, there seem to be no plans whatsoever for eastern or central Oregon. OK, there's not much there, but we have relatives from the Canada line down thru Spokane, down thru Ontario, then it's a mighty 385 mile leap over to Sisters, with several elevation changes. Luckily there is, right in the middle, the tiny town of Burns, with an RV park with a pie shop a mile away. Last time we did that, it was snowing. We charged for 4 hours and got in with one mile. This year we are going when it's not cold, and may make it easier.

For some reason, the Bend ski area gets no love. There is nothing up thru Klamath Falls to the Bend area. Oh, sorry, there is another RV place where you might be able to charge at 30 amps if they are open.

Yeah, it's not Las Vegas. But even a HPWC in Burns would help, and another in Klamath would be nice. Superchargers are beyond my dreams, though.

Some from Tesla said that if there are hotels or businesses that are willing to host a HPWC to let them know. I believe they donate the HPWC but the hotel is responsible for installation.

Looking at the future map for SCs, there seem to be no plans whatsoever for eastern or central Oregon. OK, there's not much there, but we have relatives from the Canada line down thru Spokane, down thru Ontario, then it's a mighty 385 mile leap over to Sisters, with several elevation changes. Luckily there is, right in the middle, the tiny town of Burns, with an RV park with a pie shop a mile away. Last time we did that, it was snowing. We charged for 4 hours and got in with one mile. This year we are going when it's not cold, and may make it easier.

For some reason, the Bend ski area gets no love. There is nothing up thru Klamath Falls to the Bend area. Oh, sorry, there is another RV place where you might be able to charge at 30 amps if they are open.

Yeah, it's not Las Vegas. But even a HPWC in Burns would help, and another in Klamath would be nice. Superchargers are beyond my dreams, though.

From 100 Supercharger Stations | Blog | Tesla Motors:

Meanwhile, we’re building a network that will ultimately mean drivers will never be more than 100 miles from a Supercharger. By the end of next year, we’ll have 98 percent of the U.S. population covered.

It may take a few years, but this is a pretty bold statement, even for the 48-states of the U.S.

For places like Burns, OR; Ely, NV; Lake City, CO; Grangeville, ID; etc, I bet it will be many, many years before they are within 100 miles of a Supercharger...

From 100 Supercharger Stations | Blog | Tesla Motors:

It may take a few years, but this is a pretty bold statement, even for the 48-states of the U.S.

For places like Burns, OR; Ely, NV; Lake City, CO; Grangeville, ID; etc, I bet it will be many, many years before they are within 100 miles of a Supercharger...
Grangeville, ID is about 70 miles from Lewiston, ID. I think there is a planned SC in Lewiston this year.

I think, based on common sense, but also on things that Elon has specifically stated, that there will eventually be even bigger battery packs with even longer range. For all the fuss we make about the range being "enough", it's really hard to say that with a straight face to people who like to do road trips when the range is only 1/2 - 2/3 of that of the average ICE vehicle.
However there is also no way it will happen in 2015. Tesla's biggest constraint holding back production right now is battery cell availability. They aren't going to jeopardize shipping more cars just to satisfy the relatively few people who want the bigger battery. This is something that won't happen until the gigafactory is pumping out cells.

With a rolled out SC network, longer range batteries wouldn't be a necessity.

There will be many routes for the foreseeable future that won't have a handy Supercharger. The Plains states and Prairie provinces will have sparse Supercharging (or in some cases, just charging) for many years to come. Not everyone lives in California.

There are many places where a supercharger will never be. There are places I drive my ICE vehicle and it can barely make it there and back on a tank of fuel, and where there are ZERO gas stations on the route, it will be a VERY long time before we see MORE superchargers than there currently are gas stations.
I live in a province that is one and a half times the size of california, with less than one tenth the population, there is no conceivable future where there will be supercharges covering every back road up to a place with a population of less than a dozen people.

Remember, I'm a huge EV fan, and an even bigger Tesla fan, but we can't gloss over this. The current range is enough for most people, most of the time, but it's not enough for everybody, all of the time. We will need a bigger battery option for some people (I'm on the fence right now as to if 85kw is enough for me or not, there's absolutely no way I could go with 60, but 85 is just barely possible)

On the bright side, Elon himself has already admitted that it needs addressing, and I'm sure it will happen... After the gigafactory solves their cell shortage.

Why is there no doubt? Source? I thinks it's more like wishful thinking...

There are already better batteries on the market then the ones Tesla's putting in our cars. In fact, the batteries Tesla's putting in their cars are of an old deign, but they're cheap and in great supply (compared to the available alternatives). Other batteries are either to expensive, not being produced in the quantities Tesla needs, or the patent holder is a competitor like GM.

Newer Laptops (for example) use flat batteries while Tesla's still using the cylindrical ones. They COULD switch to the flat batteries which would allow them to "fill in the gaps" and maximize the space in the pack. The cylindrical batteries they're using now create unavoidable gaps between each cell. If they were able to fill in those gaps using flat batteries, that alone would increase capacity. However, manufactures are only making enough of those batteries to meet demand for laptops, cell phones, and tablets. Not enough for Tesla to build thousands of cars with.

Another technology is Lithium-air batteries. I'm not sure where the world is with that technology. But the last I read about it they were having wear problems. The cells were dying twice as fast as their Lithium-ion counterparts which means they're not ready for primetime yet. But still, I think someone on here did the math on Lithium-air and the range we could expect from a Li-air battery in a Model S, and it came out to something crazy like 980 miles of range. Lithium-air batteries can store 3 times more energy then Lithium-ion AND they're significantly lighter (which means less weight to carry around). So IF that technology matures, we should see P800+ in our future.

Another technology is Large Format NiMH batteries. Chevron and a company called Energy Conversion Devices (ECD) are supposedly holding a patent on a game changing "Large Format" NiMH battery. But Chevron and ECD are apparently suing each other over it. GM's trying to buy it, but its been locked up in litigation since 2007 I think. The inventor is also making things difficult because he wants to be the sole manufacturer of the battery (or something like that). That and apparently he's demanding that the batteries be bought in such crazy quantities that Toyota can't even afford it. I don't know, but apparently that battery is a game changer but since the patent is locked up in litigation, no one is being allowed to build it. Several companies have tried to build a better NiMH battery without using that patent, but have failed. So when that mess gets worked out I guess we'll see a move to NiMH.

...bottom line; better battery technology already exists. Tesla is just choosing to use an older/less efficient battery because they're inexpensive and widely available. They could (in theory) build a pack with flat batteries right now that would offer greater range. But they would only be able to make a hand full of them, and like Vger said "you really do not need more range!" I've put 15k miles on my Tesla in the last 4 months, and I've only gotten close to 0 a handful of times. The Supercharger network really does negate the need for it.

As for the OP's original questions: They might offer a special pack with greater range... I think they defiantly could offer special pack... but I doubt they will. Unless they're looking to make headlines, I don't see a good reason for them to change a formula that's working out so well for them now. Maybe in 2020, but not now.

Note: I've have not added a source to any of the information I have provided because it is all widely available with a simple Google search. I encourage you to Google and read up as my information is old and the cobwebs in my head are many 0_o

Last edited:
There are already better batteries on the market then the ones Tesla's putting in our cars. In fact, the batteries Tesla's putting in their cars are of an old deign, but they're cheap and in great supply (compared to the available alternatives). Other batteries are either to expensive, not being produced in the quantities Tesla needs, or the patent holder is a competitor like GM.

I don't know where you are getting this information from - what battery chemistry are you talking about?

Newer Laptops (for example) use flat batteries while Tesla's still using the cylindrical ones. They COULD switch to the flat batteries which would allow them to "fill in the gaps" and maximize the space in the pack. The cylindrical batteries they're using now create unavoidable gaps between each cell. If they were able to fill in those gaps using flat batteries, that alone would increase capacity.

Ah, no. The specific energy in Tesla's NCA cells is already 258 Wh/kg. The commonly used lithium polymer batteries made into flat pouches for the CE industry typically has far less specific energy and cannot tolerate the same levels of charge and discharge while retaining the same battery life cycles.

Another technology is Lithium-air batteries. ... So IF that technology matures, we should see P800+ in our future.

The state of the art lithium-air batteries have quite small life cycle characteristics in the lab, much less how long it would take to move that technology to mass market production.

...bottom line; better battery technology already exists. Tesla is just choosing to use an older/less efficient battery because they're inexpensive and widely available. They could (in theory) build a pack with flat batteries right now that would offer greater range.

Name one battery chemistry that has superior automotive application characteristics than Tesla's current NCA batteries. Tesla prefers the cylindrical format because of the way they've designed the cooling systems and the thermal runaway/fire suppression at the pack level. Typical prismatic automotive battery packs are not as good in this regard and therefore they use "safer" battery chemistry in their cells which also means far lower specific energy and volumetric density.

Name one battery chemistry that has superior automotive application characteristics than Tesla's current NCA batteries.

This is what I call a "religious question." A question that no matter how its answered, people will argue the points to great length yet never reach a conclusion.

I am not and will not advocate for one battery over the other (ill leave that for others to argue). The point I was making is that Tesla has options. There are a lot of different batteries on the market, a lot of different technologies and chemistries, all of which have some superior attribute(s) over the battery Tesla is currently using. But Tesla chose their battery because it met (I would assume) all the right criteria; price, reliability, longevity, availability, good enough capacity, licensing, etc.. Not because it would get them the greatest density, but because it was the best all around battery.

I don't think there's any question that Tesla could build a higher density battery. But they would have to sacrifice something on their list of criteria to get it, and with the current design I don't think there's any reason to.

I don't know where you are getting this information from - what battery chemistry are you talking about?

I'm a Marine. When I was still in (been out since June) I was part of a Communications team for over 6 years and we used all kinds of crazy batteries to power our gear. I think that experience has skewed my perception of what a better battery is and I think the problem with what I said was that these "better batteries" were "on the market" when in fact they're probably not. Just like the Larger Format NiMH batteries, its not for sale and/or no one is licensed to build them.

As for the question about the chemistry: One battery I worked with was a Zinc-air battery which had a 350 Wh/kg ratio and the other was a Air-alkaline battery which had a 377 Wh/kg ratio. There was another battery that was Lithium-sulfur which I was told had a 500-700 Wh/kg ratio. However, we had other, much better, batteries. For the last 8 years, our military has been investing a lot of resources in finding ways to reduce its consumption of fossil fuels. Solar power and efficient, high density, batteries are a big part of that push. So I personally spent a great deal of time being a test case for a lot of that new gear. Which is why my perception on Tesla's 258 Wh/kg NCA cell is a bit off. So forgive me.

Last edited:
There are a lot of different batteries on the market, a lot of different technologies and chemistries, all of which have some superior attribute(s) over the battery Tesla is currently using. But Tesla chose their battery because it met (I would assume) all the right criteria; price, reliability, longevity, availability, good enough capacity, licensing, etc.. Not because it would get them the greatest density, but because it was the best all around battery.

Right, the NCA cells appear to be the best balance for a successful product. ARPA-E has been sponsoring research in this regard and while there are promising technologies in the lab, translating such technology to actual production and performance in real automotive applications is very tough. Tesla's batteries have to show long cycle life (1500-3000+ cycles) even under large charge and discharge currents (around 1.75C) and operate under a variety of temperature and vibration conditions while having one of the highest specific energy densities of mass production rechargeable batteries and cost less than $250/kWh in bulk. If any one of these characteristics is substantially worse than the current Tesla NCA cells, the product wouldn't work. Therefore, I don't believe Tesla has other options right now, other than the existing development path.