Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will regular autopilot 1.0 driving keep pace with 2.5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About to pull the trigger on a CPO 2015 Model S 70D. Was wondering, do you think Tesla is going to keep updating the auto pilot 1.0 on these vehicles? From what I have learned in searches, they will never be able to do self driving, but regular autopilot driving be on par with the advancing AP of 2.5 Model S's and 3's?

...updating the auto pilot 1.0...

Firmware updates will continue for AP1.

But AP1 hardware can only do so much while AP2 hardware is more robust, more cameras, more sensor ranges, more processing power.

As a matter of fact, my former conventional 2012 Model S with no AP hardware also got firmware updates along with others who have Autopilot.

But its updates were just as good as its hardware which is having no AP hardware at all.

So when Autopilot owners were showing off their summon, my car suddenly could show off its ability to automatically open my garage door when I come home and automatically close it when I leave home.

Firmware updates will continue for AP1.

But AP1 hardware can only do so much while AP2 hardware is more robust, more cameras, more sensor ranges, more processing power.

As a matter of fact, my former conventional 2012 Model S with no AP hardware also got firmware updates along with others who have Autopilot.

But its updates were just as good as its hardware which is having no AP hardware at all.

So when Autopilot owners were showing off their summon, my car suddenly could show off its ability to automatically open my garage door when I come home and automatically close it when I leave home.
You’re answering a different question than what the OP asked. Yes cars with AP1 will get firmware updates. No it will not improve the autopilot.

Reactions: brkaus
You’re answering a different question than what the OP asked. Yes cars with AP1 will get firmware updates. No it will not improve the autopilot.

I expect AP1 will continue to get firmware updates to improve its current autopilot skills but up to its AP1 hardware limitations.

That means AP1 monocular vision will not beat AP2 trifocal vision.

AP1 is limited by hardware. 8 cameras > 2 cameras, always. AP2/2.5 will continue to improve while AP1 has peaked.

Actually it’s more like 8>1 because the rear facing camera on AP1 isn’t used by the AP system.

AP1 might not continue to improve, but, properly used, it’s still a very useful driver assistance system. IMHO.

Bruce.

Tesla will continue to update AP1 where they can, but eAP with HW2 and 2.5 will gain features AP! cars will never get, like the ability to change lanes without you telling it to (AP1 can't see to the rear beyond the ultrasonics, newer cars can easily.)

No, I don't believe Tesla will touch AP1 much aside from fiddling with nags.

But, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Let's say you decided against AP1, and went for an AP2.5 car. As luck would have it Tesla would then introduce AP3, and then you'd be behind once again.

There are lots of things missing with AP2.5

There is no rear cross radar
There is no rear radar at all
It has multiple front cameras, but as far as I can tell they aren't configured in an easy way to get time-sync'd stereo vision. You really can't get good distance calculations on a consistent basis without it (unless you have a human like brain).

For the near-term future AP1 is superior in some ways to AP2/AP2.5, and inferior in other ways.

One of the key items that it's superior at is there is less false braking events with AP1. With AP1 it's based on the tried and true MobileEye system.

I currently have an AP1 vehicle, and I don't see any compelling reasons from an AP standpoint to upgrade to a new Tesla. Things might or might not get exciting in the AP2 camp within the next 3-6 months. I'm hoping AP2/AP2.5 will get some features that truly set it apart from AP1.

Tesla will continue to update AP1 where they can, but eAP with HW2 and 2.5 will gain features AP! cars will never get, like the ability to change lanes without you telling it to (AP1 can't see to the rear beyond the ultrasonics, newer cars can easily.)

There are two compelling things AP2 should be capable of doing that AP1 can't do.

This is one of them, and that would be enough to convince me to upgrade. It's absolutely maddening how many people in the PNW area won't move over to the right. Although it would be interesting to see if the car would pass on the right given the fact that you're not really supposed to pass on the right. You can legally, and all that (in the US), But, it's just not a best practices kind of thing.

The other compelling thing is side/blind spot monitoring that works. I firmly believe (with zero evidence) that this will be introduced in Augustt (or firmware 9). Where it uses the side cameras to detect if a vehicle is there.

Reactions: CSFTN
AP1 remains superior to AP2 today, and will be just fine going forward. It will be years yet before there's robust FSD. Tesla still needs to finish up their own SoC, which should be pretty sweet, and there's the matter of 10cm GPS - just to name 2 hurdles.

I will be very happy to revert to an AP1 car by year's end for the next 2-3 years, at which point I will probably transition into a Model 3 (won't be much point buying an S by then) or perhaps the Tesla pickup, which could be all kinds of innovative - not to mention an F350-killer.

Buying an AP2 car based upon the misinformation that was promulgated at the time several different ways was a mistake.

AP1 is still getting better, but there is a limit.
It has become smoother, better at following a front car, better lane changes.
But the AP 2 cars will eventually have full self driving capabilities (allegedly), which AP1 cars will never have.

Reactions: bhzmark