Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will running the AC on low consume less battery than running it on high?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning a trip and wondered if running the AC on low will consume less battery than running it on high. Or does it not matter and I should just crank it up if I'm gona use it? I realize keeping the AC off is best but it's the summer and it's hot.

Same question for ICE vehicles. Is gas consumed at a slower rate if the AC is running on low compared to high?

Set the temperature on what is comfortable for you and enjoy life. I live in Palm Springs ( 113F today), I set 71F on Auto and run the back fan too at times. I really don't see any power consumption difference to setting it at 85F and sweating to death. I found my window tinting of 3M Crystalline of Driver/Pax doors 35%, Back doors & rear window 20% and front windshield 70%, makes the biggest difference by far for the cooling requirements of the HAVAC system. Of course living in the desert, my car is white- another major heat factor.

I'm planning a trip and wondered if running the AC on low will consume less battery than running it on high. Or does it not matter and I should just crank it up if I'm gona use it? I realize keeping the AC off is best but it's the summer and it's hot.

Same question for ICE vehicles. Is gas consumed at a slower rate if the AC is running on low compared to high?
I think so.

In ICE, the engine turns the compressor with the belt: the harder the AC works, the harder the engine has to turns the belt.

In EV, the harder you AC works, the more electricity it consumes.

The energy savings from both ICE and EV systems might be not worthy of the discomfort.

Same question for ICE vehicles. Is gas consumed at a slower rate if the AC is running on high.

I think so.

In ICE, the engine turns the compressor with the belt: the harder the AC works, the harder the engine has to turns the belt.

In EV, the harder you AC works, the more electricity it consumes.

The energy savings from both ICE and EV systems might be not worthy of the discomfort.
I agree that logically, the AC parts would need to work harder at a higher blowing speed so it should consume more battery than at a lower blowing speed. But I've also heard from others who say that it makes no difference.

Reactions: CaptUAL