Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will RWD go extinct too?

Will RWD be gone in Model S in the future?

• Yes, very likely.

Votes: 59 50.0%
  • No, not likely.

Votes: 59 50.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope not. In fact I hope they bring back P's with RWD so that eventually when I move on from my P85+ there will be something for my taste.

I know I'm in the minority with this opinion, but RWD is just personal preference. :)

I am pretty sure you can turn off the front motor and make a AWD into a RWD if you want. I have an RWD, but I am pretty sure on my test drive they could make P90D I was driving mimic a 75. Someone else can correct me if I am wrong. I am S60 owner so it isn't something I can test in my own car.

I am pretty sure you can turn off the front motor and make a AWD into a RWD if you want. I have an RWD, but I am pretty sure on my test drive they could make P90D I was driving mimic a 75. Someone else can correct me if I am wrong. I am S60 owner so it isn't something I can test in my own car.

You can have it mimic a 75 RWD, but not a 90 RWD.

Think a poll should be created for owners of Model S or X out in California, Arizona, Fla, ect where winter is a non factor. If people can save $$ getting rear wheel drive I don't see it going away. Should be interesting to see how many order the RWD after the AWD is available with the Model 3.....

Ha, last time I checked the poll was 18 vs 18 (50%-50%).

Now I see more leaning toward not cancelling. Interesting results.

That's just the EPA rating. In the real world you get about 25% better range at highway speeds. When my Model S was still a 60D I could go the exact same distance at expressway speed as a RWD 85.

:eek: Your 60D goes 265 miles? I think I can pull about 60D for 240 miles.
I am assuming you are driving like 55 mph on highway?

Reactions: pedriscoll
I am pretty sure RWD 85 will go like 270 miles on highway alone. EPA 265 is from avg of highway and city driving which is supposed to worse than the highway reading.

But then who knows... It is only 77 kwh for 85
I have driven thousands of miles in the 85 that we have at work and hundreds with the loaner that I have had and they never get more than 240 or so at highway speeds.

It is where the 12V battery is now

I believe in addition to the 12V battery, the massive HEPA filter sits (or has place reserved when not installed) in the way of that old frunk "microwave" area. So it makes sense they took it out, but I agree it sucks. That "microwave" certainly made the frunk cavernous.

My Model X frunk seems crap compared to my old Model S frunk. It fits a trend because its trunk is also crap compared to the Model S trunk. :D Luckily the car in-between has improved, though...

• Funny
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Well, to the speculation will RWD be gone...

I think we have to remember that back in late 2014, with the P85D and 85D and the subsequently 70D and 90D in early 2015, the signs were that Tesla would go all-AWD. Indeed, for a while I recall that they did go all-AWD.

Then they brought back, was it the 70 non-D and of course eventually the 60/75 non-D, to create a sales demand lever. I think the D-only strategy was proving difficult from a sales point of view. They needed the lower pricepoints to keep the cars moving.

Now, with the Model 3 soon expected to take over those lower pricepoints, certainly going all-AWD on Model S seems possible. But I'd say it depends wholly on how many Model S sales Tesla feels it needs to show on its quarterly report. If they need more, keeping RWD makes sense. If they can afforts to move the product up-stream, that separation might make sense.

I doubt there is that much of a performance purchasing scene for the RWD, hence there is no P100 for example, so this is purely about price-point and sales numbers IMO...

Don't forget that the performance cars have the same big motor in back that the RWD cars use. I don't know that partially reducing production would end up being worth any potential savings. Especially as it makes for a more accessible base trim.

Given that the rear motor is the P's rear motor they aren't going to stop making the motor. Unless demand for the S75R falls so much that it's not worth the hassle of the extra model, I do not see them cancelling.

No, the motor back in P100D is the same as the motor in P85. If you order a 75 you will get the same motor as Tesla use in 60 and 85 from the beginning but this is not the same motor as in P85. Model S P85 had 420 hp and 609 Nm while Model S 70 had 315 hp and 441 Nm, Model S 75 maybe have little better but not that mush.

Tesla Model S - Wikipedia

It's likely Tesla may offer RWD in early production runs for new models (likely to happen with the Model 3, like the Model S), and could offer RWD for the lower priced entry versions of each Model, which Tesla has been doing with the Model S.

We have a late 2012 S P85 and new S 100D, and while the two cars provide the same 0-60 performance, we can notice the difference in range. While we see longer range from the battery pack size, it appears the dual motor configuration may be providing around 10% more range at typical highway speeds (70-80MPH) - which is significant.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
It's likely Tesla may offer RWD in early production runs for new models (likely to happen with the Model 3, like the Model S), and could offer RWD for the lower priced entry versions of each Model, which Tesla has been doing with the Model S.

We have a late 2012 S P85 and new S 100D, and while the two cars provide the same 0-60 performance, we can notice the difference in range. While we see longer range from the battery pack size, it appears the dual motor configuration may be providing around 10% more range at typical highway speeds (70-80MPH) - which is significant.

Basically the dual-motor setup allows for running a smaller motor much of the time, as opposed to running a bigger motor all of the time. Things even out, of course, when (e.g. not in motorway driving) both axles are needed/wanted to move the car.

I can see @bob_p's report happening, certainly.