Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will RWD go extinct too?

Will RWD be gone in Model S in the future?

• Yes, very likely.

Votes: 59 50.0%
  • No, not likely.

Votes: 59 50.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am pretty sure RWD 85 will go like 270 miles on highway alone. EPA 265 is from avg of highway and city driving which is supposed to worse than the highway reading.

But then who knows... It is only 77 kwh for 85

As someone who doesn't hypermile and owns a P85, I can tell you that the RWD 85 only gets about 240 miles on the highway. That said, I seriously doubt the claim that a 60D can do the same. I'll believe that when I see it with my own eyes.

As someone who doesn't hypermile and owns a P85, I can tell you that the RWD 85 only gets about 240 miles on the highway. That said, I seriously doubt the claim that a 60D can do the same. I'll believe that when I see it with my own eyes.
I have done it many, many times as well as several others. The 60D/75D at highway speeds consumes ~240 wh/m under normal driving conditions where the 85 RWD consumes ~310 wh/m.

Reactions: croman
No, the motor back in P100D is the same as the motor in P85. If you order a 75 you will get the same motor as Tesla use in 60 and 85 from the beginning but this is not the same motor as in P85. Model S P85 had 420 hp and 609 Nm while Model S 70 had 315 hp and 441 Nm, Model S 75 maybe have little better but not that mush.
You're confusing the max output of the motor with the max output of the battery. There are only two Tesla motors, the large one, which is in all the RWD cars, and the PXXDs and the small one which is the front motor in all Ds and the rear in the small battery Ds.

The increase in range with a heavier dual motor car that is more reliant on 4 wheel dynamic (under tension) alignment is not an engineered feature. Hate to call it a mistake, but a lighter car with RWD-only should achieve superior efficiency.
The small motor is more efficient than the large motor, so on the Ds they can sleep the large motor on the highway and take advantage of that greater efficiency. It is certainly an engineered feature, not an accident.

Reactions: SM18
You're confusing the max output of the motor with the max output of the battery. There are only two Tesla motors, the large one, which is in all the RWD cars, and the PXXDs and the small one which is the front motor in all Ds and the rear in the small battery Ds.

The small motor is more efficient than the large motor, so on the Ds they can sleep the large motor on the highway and take advantage of that greater efficiency. It is certainly an engineered feature, not an accident.
So what is the differens between P85 and 85 then?

I recall three different sizes in Tesla's images: the original 60/85 motor, the Performance rear motor as well as the small dual-motor engine used in back of non-Performance dual-motors and front of all dual-motor cars.

See this image for example, showing a larger RWD 60 motor while the AWD version has two smaller motors. Assuming these images mean, anything, of course.

And I agree it is of course possible I remember wrong and that big motor on the 60 is the same one as Performance models have.

Tesla-Model-S-60.png

I hope not. In fact I hope they bring back P's with RWD so that eventually when I move on from my P85+ there will be something for my taste.

I know I'm in the minority with this opinion, but RWD is just personal preference. :)
You're not alone. RWD feels dynamically superior in dry conditions. If there was true torque vectoring on all 4 wheels, that might convince me otherwise.

Interesting thread. My P90DL consumes 20% more energy than my P85 - that's right 20% !!!

Before I handed my P85 to my wife, my lifetime average (2.5 years, 30K miles) for the P85 was 315 Wh/mi. On long trips I calculated my range was ca. 285 miles - that was with 4 occupants, A/C turned on, but keeping the highway speed to ca. 60 mph.

Switching to the dual-motor P90DL was a bit of a shock: on exactly the same routes, with exactly the same driving conditions, the car used almost exactly 20% more energy. Switching to "Range Mode" didn't really make much different - despite Tesla's claims. Sure, the car is about 5% heavier and sure I have stickier tyres (21" instead of 20"), but I had been hoping that, for longer trips, these would be offset by the Torque Sleep in "Range Mode".

(All the more reason to keep pushing Tesla to deliver their promised - and so far failed - upgrade to the 100 kWh battery pack.)

• Informative
Reactions: DIL
In all honesty, I don't think so if you cater to the warmer climate parts of the world like ours there is no reason to have all wheel drive unless you are going off road, but then again if Tesla can sell a 4 wheel drive vehicle for the same price as the 2wheel drive I doubt anyone is going to complain.

Interesting thread. My P90DL consumes 20% more energy than my P85 - that's right 20% !!!

Before I handed my P85 to my wife, my lifetime average (2.5 years, 30K miles) for the P85 was 315 Wh/mi. On long trips I calculated my range was ca. 285 miles - that was with 4 occupants, A/C turned on, but keeping the highway speed to ca. 60 mph.

Switching to the dual-motor P90DL was a bit of a shock: on exactly the same routes, with exactly the same driving conditions, the car used almost exactly 20% more energy. Switching to "Range Mode" didn't really make much different - despite Tesla's claims. Sure, the car is about 5% heavier and sure I have stickier tyres (21" instead of 20"), but I had been hoping that, for longer trips, these would be offset by the Torque Sleep in "Range Mode".

(All the more reason to keep pushing Tesla to deliver their promised - and so far failed - upgrade to the 100 kWh battery pack.)
My lifetime running average in my 75D (formally 60D) is 280 wh/m over ~20k miles. Expressway trips (usually around 70+ MPH or so) usually run ~240 wh/m.