Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Sensors Work When Covered by PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read a few short threads about covering or not covering sensors when wrapping. What is your current experience? Do sensors function as intended or does the wrap need to be removed for accuracy?. Thanks!

I don't have Xpel but covered the sensors with some remnant film as an experiment and it definitely affected the sensors. It made them less sensitive, so that the edge of the garage that was 1 ft away was sensed to be about 3 feet away.

I have PPF on the front with no issues so far. I saw two M3s the other day, both wrapped and PPF'd. Both owners said they have had no issues with sensors for parking or AP either. Lots of owners have had one or both done to their cars so far and none have mentioned an issue. Not exactly a scientifically valid sample but film doesn't seem to have much, if any, affect.

my installer cut out the holes where the sensors are suposed to be at.

im fairly sure you are not supposed to cover them,

There is still a cutout but the sensor itself is covered with small round piece of wrap. You can't have it in one piece because there's a gap between the sensor and the bumper which would turn out white. (unsticked wrap)

I am lost in this statement.
My bumper was one piece.
Im fairly sure those circles you see are the location of the sensors.
Im also fairly sure the holes were cut out to avoid issues with sensors.

20180908_163203.jpg

Or did you mean, that you need to have the hole cut out because if it was covered entirely with xpel it would form an air gap and bulge around the sensor?

Last edited:
Or did you mean, that you need to have the hole cut out because if it was covered entirely with xpel it would form an air gap and bulge around the sensor?

Correct.

But you have clear xpel, so there is no reason to cover the sensors. I do have however the xpel stealth so sticking small round piece of xpel stealth helps to improve the overall look so that the original glossy paint doesn't stick out from the overall satin look. There is no negative influence of the sensors

I don't have Xpel but covered the sensors with some remnant film as an experiment and it definitely affected the sensors. It made them less sensitive, so that the edge of the garage that was 1 ft away was sensed to be about 3 feet away.

Yes, this reminds me of the issue I had. Immediately after Xpel, I noticed a difference in the sensitivity of a couple sensors to nearby objects. I told the installer not to cover those sensors by recommendation of a repair tech, but he did it anyway. When I went back and had him cut circles around the sensors, everything went back to normal.

Sooooo, the folks that say they have no problem might be true or might just be they haven't noticed the reduced sensitivity.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO
I put Xpel on the front end myself, and cut out the fender sensors but left it on the front nosecone just to see if it would work first before cutting out the circles. AP1 works just fine; it follows other vehicles and adjusts speed perfectly. I have not varied objects from the front end and measured the distance versus what shows in the dash graphic. I guess the scientific approach would be to test them before and after and see if any sensitivity is lost.

It do recall having to replace one on the Infiniti as a small rock hit the dead centre of it. It was $300 to replace it; I wonder how much it would be through Tesla? That is not a warranty item. This alone will convince me to leave them covered.

I put Xpel on the front end myself, and cut out the fender sensors but left it on the front nosecone just to see if it would work first before cutting out the circles. AP1 works just fine; it follows other vehicles and adjusts speed perfectly. I have not varied objects from the front end and measured the distance versus what shows in the dash graphic. I guess the scientific approach would be to test them before and after and see if any sensitivity is lost.

It do recall having to replace one on the Infiniti as a small rock hit the dead centre of it. It was $300 to replace it; I wonder how much it would be through Tesla? That is not a warranty item. This alone will convince me to leave them covered.
Just had one of my Tesla Model Y sensor replaced due to a small nick caused by a small rock and it cost me $400 total. If wrap doesn’t impact the sensors I would wrap it.