Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will service replace old door open buttons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, im wondering if anyone knows if service will replace the older door open buttons that just have the one line on them, with the new door open buttons that actually have the open door icon on them?

So far everyone that has gotten in my car cant figure out which button opens the door and would front the cost to just do it.

Hi, im wondering if anyone knows if service will replace the older door open buttons that just have the one line on them, with the new door open buttons that actually have the open door icon on them?

So far everyone that has gotten in my car cant figure out which button opens the door and would front the cost to just do it.

If you open your wallet, I believe they will replace anything you want.

Alternatively, you could order a few "open" door icons or vinyl lettering from eBay, and just apply them to the existing buttons!
There is also a whole bunch of custom vinyl lettering vendors out there, who should be able to make any button covers you want (e.g.: of CF look, etc, etc). Here is a link to one of them:

HTH,
a

If you open your wallet, I believe they will replace anything you want.

Alternatively, you could order a few "open" door icons or vinyl lettering from eBay, and just apply them to the existing buttons!
There is also a whole bunch of custom vinyl lettering vendors out there, who should be able to make any button covers you want (e.g.: of CF look, etc, etc). Here is a link to one of them:

HTH,
a
thanks but i'd rather have an actual OEM part that will sell with the vehicle. Also, the ambient lights do light up the button and stickers will not ha.

thanks but i'd rather have an actual OEM part that will sell with the vehicle. Also, the ambient lights do light up the button and stickers will not ha.

In general terms, car dealers / manufacturers are usually very hesitant to install parts from "the new model" onto "the old model" unless those parts for "the old model" dont exist any longer. You would need to contact tesla and see, and then when you do that, let us know how it goes so if someone else has the same question there is precident.

My gut feeling says "no, they will not do that, you would need to either order the parts and do it yourself, or find a tesla approved body shop that had access to the parts to do it for you, for $$ or $$$", but I dont know for sure.

I have the stickers and they are transparent. While they don't illuminate the entire sticker you can still see the outline of the vehicle with the door open, in the dark. You can hardly tell they are not OEM. $6 on Amazon! So far, everyone has opened the door correctly! Changing those pieces will, I think, be quite expensive to swap out

Last edited:
I don't think they will replace them free unless a recall or the part is found to not be compliant with safety standards.

I think there was a US manufacturer that had to replace some vehicles' horn buttons, because a "universal horn symbol" was not printed/embossed/etc on the horn button.

There is probably no such existing standard for door buttons, as they're kind of a new thing. Most cars still use handles to open doors.

I have the new buttons but it did not stop my wife's uncle from pulling the emergency release. Hence my new policy. To be fair that emergency release is in the most logical place for a door opener.

It is, yes. Any time anyone who is not familiar with my car rides as a passenger, as I am pulling into a parking space I just casually remind them "oh the button to open the door is up there on the handle". I dont think graphics or lack of them will prevent people from wanting to pull the emergency release. Its the most obvious location for something to open the door.

In fact, I believe thats why the emergency release is where it is. In a panic, thats where someone would look to find something to get out of the car.

Reactions: rpiotro