Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Spotify come to US Tesla owners now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's just familiarity driving the opinions. I never used Spotify. Pandora and Google Play. Folks that have the Tesla account for free.. Comparing to a Spotify account for not-free...the Spotify account is better. If folks would go with a full premium Slacker, I think many would be pleased with how good it is.

The best feature? Slacker is in your car. Spotify is not
Err, I have a premium Slacker account. Otherwise you can't have single artist stations or single album playlists.
The only reason I have that (and the only reason I listen to Slacker) is because of the app integrated with the car. They are the worst of the choices, Pandora and Spotify have significantly better catalog and significantly better curated stations. And yes, my family has premium subscriptions to all three of them (don't ask).

Never had a song that I wanted... Not appear in the catalog. So as they say YMMV. And the curated stations...I think they are very good. So as they say, to each their own. And it's in the car. That one is a slam dunk. Not having Spotify certainly doesn't make me lose any sleep, nor does it leave me wanting something I can't get another way. That's just me though.

Spotify is far superior with marketing though. Not sure what happened to Rhapsody there.
Marketing? Meaning what exactly?

I grow tired of the Pandora-like playback of Slacker.

I've seen several people express a preference for Spotify over Slacker, but very few have explained why.

Yeah, I kind of need a, not exactly "Explain Like I'm Five" but rather, "Explain Like I've Never Used Pandora" - because I haven't. Or Rhapsody.

I've tried Amazon Prime Music and playing it over Bluetooth. Extra work because the car and phone conspire to play the iTunes stuff by default.

For someone without preexisting subscription, why does Spotify "cut" what Slacker fails to?

So yes, it's catalog, catalog, catalog. Plus the curation of many of the stations.
Okay, thanks!

Last edited:
Yeah, I kind of need a, not exactly "Explain Like I'm Five" but rather, "Explain Like I've Never Used Pandora" - because I haven't. Or Rhapsody.

I've tried Amazon Prime Music and playing it over Bluetooth. Extra work because the car and phone conspire to play the iTunes stuff by default.

For someone without preexisting subscription, why does Spotify "cut" what Slacker fails to?

Okay, thanks!

Pandora (at least the last time I used it) and Slacker allow you to select an artist, song or genre and then base a radio station off of that. If I tell the car to play Fall Out Boy (I'm apparently a 14 year old girl), it won't necessarily play Fall Out Boy. It might play Panic at The Disco or Jack White. It's picking music it things is similar to the band I chose. Mixed into that "station" will be Fall Out Boy songs but it's not like I can just queue up a specific song and hear it. I can't. In that respect, Elon's "any song, any time" claim is kind of a farce. I can tell it to play a specific song and it will show me that specific song but whether or not it plays that specific song is anyone's guess and more often than not, it doesn't.

Conversely, Spotify Premium allows me to listen to basically any song, on demand, whenever I want to hear it, as many times as I want to hear it. It is basically my song so long as I'm a Spotify account holder. It's so much my song that I stopped buying songs off of iTunes when I got Spotify. I don't know about you but if I want to hear a specific song I want to hear thatsong. Having that control is huge and it's Slacker's biggest undoing in my opinion.

Edit: In the interest of correcting my own misinformation, I just went out to check how many times the car played the exact song I asked it for and 10 out of 10 times it did. I really thought I remember it not giving me my exact song more often than not which is why I stopped using it. So I was apparently wrong on that. Still, I don't know the names of many of the songs in my Spotify playlists which means to queue them up in the car I'd need to read them off the Spotify app, tell the car to play them and then tell it to play each subsequent song in my Spotify playlist. It seems easier to just use Spotify on my phone at that point. But as far as cool factor goes, it's nice to know the car will play pretty much anything within reason on demand.

Last edited:
Google Music Anybody? I frickin love it. $8/mo (I'm grandfathered in), normally $10/mo. Though $15/mo gets you a family plan for 6 people. It also comes with YouTube Red for free! (ad free youtube).

I have found Google Music to be as good or superior to the other options in just about every respect. I only use slacker in the car, because its in the car.

I would rather have Spotify as well.... we haven't seen a new "app" for the car in 3 years.... so many possibilities if Tesla would allow access to a SDK...

What about the calendar!? (Yes, I'm being facetious.)

Try "Gershwin". "Eurythmics". Pretty much anything classical.
So yes, it's catalog, catalog, catalog. Plus the curation of many of the stations.

Thanks, I'm not a classical music fan, and tend to listen to mostly Top 40 stuff (from various decades), so that probably explains why I haven't noticed any catalog gaps.

Edit: In the interest of correcting my own misinformation, I just went out to check how many times the car played the exact song I asked it for and 10 out of 10 times it did. I really thought I remember it not giving me my exact song more often than not which is why I stopped using it. So I was apparently wrong on that. Still, I don't know the names of many of the songs in my Spotify playlists which means to queue them up in the car I'd need to read them off the Spotify app, tell the car to play them and then tell it to play each subsequent song in my Spotify playlist. It seems easier to just use Spotify on my phone at that point. But as far as cool factor goes, it's nice to know the car will play pretty much anything within reason on demand.

Thanks for correcting yourself. For what it's worth, I have at times experienced Slacker seemingly refusing to play requested songs, but I've also experienced successfully requesting several individual songs in a row. In short, it's a legitimate problem, but not easily reproducible. I suspect that possibly the non-standard Slacker account that Tesla has contracted for has some soft limit of on-demand songs, and we've occasionally run into that. With that said, I've heard that with a real Slacker Premium account, you can in fact create your own playlists, and listen to them in the car, but they have to be created/managed online (or perhaps in their phone app?). Granted, it'd be nice to have more options (ideally via Android Auto), but in the meantime, that could be a manageable workaround for some.

I am not impressed with slacker. I feel like it tends to play the same songs over and over. I have used pandora and like that much better. I'm planning to try using pandora via my phone and see how that works for a little bit.

This is a legitimate complaint. I feel like Slacker does better than the terrestrial radio stations in this regard, but that said, the curated stations tend to have a narrow focus and limited playlist. I try to switch around every week or two so I don't get tired of a station. On long road trips it can get annoying, but I'm also too lazy to curate my own library and/or playlists, so I willingly accept that limitation of Slacker.

Reactions: Caligula