Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will stock M3P rotors be able to withstand the bites from Carbotech Xp24/Xp20 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Track day's coming up in 2 weeks, I recently purchased Carbotech's XP24 (front) / XP 20 (rear) for my 2021 M3P for the local track.

I had Drew from Carbotech take a look at the track layout and he recommended me those high end brake pads.

I emailed him back 2 days ago asking him whether or not the stock rotors would be able to stand the bite from such pads but havent had any luck getting speedy response (perhaps it's the weekend or perhaps they are just generally very slow at responding customer's questions). So, I'm turning to the community for help. Will M3P stock rotors be able to handle XP24/XP20?

Thanks guys.

Tesla rotors are of good quality, albeit too small for the weight of the car, especially for track duty. Many of us have used aggressive aftermarket pads with stock rotors. Given the thermal capacity of stock, rotors aren't really meant for the high temperature of the XP24/20, the system will run hotter and wear faster. Just monitor your brake fade, you should be fine with XP24/20 with stock rotors.

Reactions: butterscotch
I’ve used XP24’s very hard on track in a Renault Megane RS Cup, with the standard Brembo discs, and the discs were fine in regards to wear. They did suffer a bit in regards to heat, as did the calipers that were permanently discoloured after one full trackday. As with all discs and high performance pads, just make sure you bring the discs up to temperature slowly, ie, don’t just hammer them from cold. Thermal shock causes a lot of damage to brake discs.

Tesla rotors are of good quality, albeit too small for the weight of the car, especially for track duty. Many of us have used aggressive aftermarket pads with stock rotors. Given the thermal capacity of stock, rotors aren't really meant for the high temperature of the XP24/20, the system will run hotter and wear faster. Just monitor your brake fade, you should be fine with XP24/20 with stock rotors.

I will be only tracking for 5-6 laps, I'd imagine it should be fine right? Will I have to worry about replacing the rotors after track abuse?

I’ve used XP24’s very hard on track in a Renault Megane RS Cup, with the standard Brembo discs, and the discs were fine in regards to wear. They did suffer a bit in regards to heat, as did the calipers that were permanently discoloured after one full trackday. As with all discs and high performance pads, just make sure you bring the discs up to temperature slowly, ie, don’t just hammer them from cold. Thermal shock causes a lot of damage to brake discs.

Thanks for the feedback. I do plan on running 1-2 warmup laps to slowly bring the temperature up. What I'm worrying about is whether or not I should worry about replacing the rotor after 5-6 laps of track abuse.

If you want your pads/brakes to last, you need to learn to baby it a little. I don't mean driving slow, I just mean drive it hard for 2 laps. Cool it down for one before attacking again. I have not tried the XP24, but the older XP10/XP12 are known for pad build up, you will know when you feel the vibration after each track day.

How many laps did you run them on the stock rotors before you started experiencing brake fade?
It totally depends on the type of track you're on and how long you are on and off the brakes during a lap. I've not had any serious fade with XP10s at the tracks I've been, but they have got pretty hot. The advantange ofpads like those is the rotors can still get very hot without the pads giving in. You'll get much more life from the stock rotors than you think. I did several track days with mine before I upgraded to a BBK and the wear on the rotors was minimal when I took them off.