Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will such hospitality among Tesla owner last?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in So Cal and the friendly wave is just not here. I also have a Subaru WRX and those guys are properly nice and always wave. With other Tesla owners in So Cal I try the wave but instead get what feels like snooty drivers most of the time.

I'll wave to you if I see you. I grew up in Menifee and will be receiving my Model S around Thanksgiving. It's nice to see someone else from Menifee on here. What color is your Model S?

I'll wave to you if I see you. I grew up in Menifee and will be receiving my Model S around Thanksgiving. It's nice to see someone else from Menifee on here. What color is your Model S?

I have a white 85 D. You can't miss it because it's got some red on it. I did a new owners post last night if you want to see a couple of pictures of it u see new owner 45 days and 6000 miles

Still lots of waving and light-flashing here around Boston.

One thing I've noticed: an increase in the number of *oblivious* Tesla drivers. Maybe later buyers have more on their minds than us folks who bought in '13 and before. :) Anyway, I think some lack of waving is (a) obliviousness and/or (b) delayed reactions.

Had a party at my house recently and we think something like 70-80 Tesla owners showed up (lost count -- problems at the checkin table). So I think the spirit is alive!

Alan

As an ealier buyer (took delivery May '13) I think we saw ourselves as pioneers of a new technology and took great pride in owning and driving a Model S. I think there's now a a much larger segment of buyers for whom the car is just another status symbol. With all due respect, they're not merely oblivious, but many of them have thier noses so far in the air that waving is beneath them. And they'e not the type that will be attracted to the affinity groups like TeslaRoadTrip or events like TMC Connect.

So I've been chatting with another forum member and this individual introduced me to an app some like to use to track/share positions when doing trips. I looked into it and though I would try it out on a road trip I am on now. The GPS ties back to web address that you can share with others so they can follow your progress. I decided to share the link with this forum member and now I know true hospitality!

On day one of the trip, I got a helper who chit-chatted with me to help pass the time and shared key milestone. For instance, I got a messages when I crossed a state line. When I approached a Supercharger (I had shared I am going to ones I've never visited before), I got directions on how to find the Chargers and tips on things around there. In one case, I got the warning to grab food before I stopped at a specific location unless I wanted McD, BK, or Wendy's as there wasn't anything else around.

When I stopped randomly, off path, I got a message making sure I was ok. When I got stuck in traffic, I got help in finding an alternate route. When I ended up having to split my trip over two days and crash somewhere for the night, I got help in looking up and determining charging.

This goes above and beyond hospitality and want to express deep thanks for this. My road trip has had a couple bumps along the way, but I knew I had someone looking out for me and I wasn't alone on the back roads of an unfamiliar area! I hope his camaraderie between Tesla owners never ends!

I live in Bellevue, on the eastside across the lake from Seattle. Teslas are pretty common now but I always try to wave if I see them. Most people seem to wave back/say hello. My kids (age 3,5,7) think it is hilarious. Who was that dad, one of your Tesla friends? Yep

I started to read this. and thought....

F' it! skip.

I'm gonna wave, acknowledge, salute, thumbs up, high-five, whatever!!!

If you don't wave, whatever. I still know you bought a Tesla for at least a few reasons I did. Therefore, I'll give you an unreciprocated acknowledged salute.

But,

If you do wave, gesture, nod, smile, wink or even high-five.... I know you "know".

So, in this case, "its not what you don't know, its what you know."

I'm gonna at least smile, and you'll know, I know.

We get as many waves and smiles from non-Tesla drivers as we do from other Teslas. We always wave and smile back!

A couple of days ago we were on a short road trip to Dallas and on the way home a guy travelling along in a convertible Maserati spotted us and started waving and thumbs-upping us very enthusiastically. We waved back. Then he hit the gas and made some of the most heart-stopping and risky maneuvers I've ever seen on the road, zooming in and out through heavy traffic until we lost sight of him! I guess he thought we'd be super impressed, but we were horrified to think he'd done that for our benefit.

Anyway, I love the camaraderie.

Cyclone, what is this app are you referring to? Sounds amazing!

So I've been chatting with another forum member and this individual introduced me to an app some like to use to track/share positions when doing trips. I looked into it and though I would try it out on a road trip I am on now. The GPS ties back to web address that you can share with others so they can follow your progress. I decided to share the link with this forum member and now I know true hospitality!

On day one of the trip, I got a helper who chit-chatted with me to help pass the time and shared key milestone. For instance, I got a messages when I crossed a state line. When I approached a Supercharger (I had shared I am going to ones I've never visited before), I got directions on how to find the Chargers and tips on things around there. In one case, I got the warning to grab food before I stopped at a specific location unless I wanted McD, BK, or Wendy's as there wasn't anything else around.

When I stopped randomly, off path, I got a message making sure I was ok. When I got stuck in traffic, I got help in finding an alternate route. When I ended up having to split my trip over two days and crash somewhere for the night, I got help in looking up and determining charging.

This goes above and beyond hospitality and want to express deep thanks for this. My road trip has had a couple bumps along the way, but I knew I had someone looking out for me and I wasn't alone on the back roads of an unfamiliar area! I hope his camaraderie between Tesla owners never ends!
:biggrin: And it wasn't stalkery at ALL. LOL

I don't even own an EV yet, but having just electrified all 3 garages, I made sure to install an extra NEMA 14-50 outlet in a box on an outside wall, and published it on Plugshare to help other nerds in need.

Last edited:
Cyclone, what is this app are you referring to? Sounds amazing!
I'm extrapolating that it was "LocaToWeb" from info in others' posts.
Yup, that's the app

Yes indeed! And finally, after over 750 miles, many detours, and a friend who provide me a warm place to lay my head for the night, I'm finally in South Florida and brough tears to my mother's face when she opened the door and saw me standing there unannounced. Made the whole trip worth it!

They are being more and more popular in our area. Few drivers do wave, most do not.

My wife and I were having an interesting convo on our last roadtrip based on Tesla hospitality to each other:
Her: If you saw a Tesla pulled over on the side of the road, what would you do?
Me: I dunno, keep driving?
Her: I'd stop. What if something were wrong?
Me: Maybe they're taking a nap. Or had to use the shoulder as a restroom. Would you stop for another car?
Her: No, only Tesla.
Agreed. I would absolutely be more inclined to stop for another Tesla owner than not. I feel like we're in a "Tesla fraternity/sorority." Maybe that feeling will wear off after I've had the car longer - but I hope not.

Me, I throw peace signs at other Tesla drivers. Most people don't notice because they are busy doing their thing. Those that do usually laugh to themselves and wave back. People seem more inclined to notice driving around town or at stop lights. I did exchange a "two handed" wave with another AP driver last weekend. We were both grinning from ear to ear.

Simply put, the last time I felt this way about driving a car was the first time I drove a car after getting my driver's license. I don't think I'm the only person who feels that way.