Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Superchargers be operational during/after a hurricane?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

systemcrashed

Please Reboot
Apr 7, 2016
USA
Just wondering if the superchargers run on emergency generators, or battery backup. Fuel is going to be in short supply before and after Matthew. Would be a great service and good publicity for Tesla to keep their SC network up.

They do not, if the local grid goes down they will as well.

That being said they tend to be on the trunk lines of the grid so they will be more reliable than say the power at your house.

There's reason to believe that Superchargers which have a battery pack will function for a few charges without the grid. Any that have solar canopies installed will last longer.

Other than that, they'll all be down until they get their grid back. Backup generators of the size needed are very expensive and heavy - not really practical.

None have backup (dirty diesel or other) generators that I know of. They all use local energy from the utility company so depends on if that part of the grid is up or down ultimately.

And you are not standing knee deep water while attempting a connection. I would suggest a full trip charge now while you can. If you are traveling on a trip thru the storm prone area, then I'd say it will be hit or miss. I'd be sure the SC destination is operable before striking out to depend on it for further travels...

Plus I thought we were supposed to get, or we actually did, real time supercharger status OTA now. Your MS/MX should know if one is down/up and skip it or you can avoid going at all.
this is not at all accurate, and even if it was, outside of SpC dense places like SoCal diverting to another SpC is not always feasible. as for not going at all, that doesn't offer the person in the middle of a trip any solace.

Plus I thought we were supposed to get, or we actually did, real time supercharger status OTA now. Your MS/MX should know if one is down/up and skip it or you can avoid going at all.
I do not know you source for that belief, but Tesla has never stated that is coming or is currently available. It has been extensively speculated about on TMC for a long time now, but that is simply speculation.