Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla’s Carbon Ceramic Brake Kit fit 20 inch wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Laddcruzer

Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2021
Santa Cruz
I just received an email from Tesla saying that they are launching their CC brake kit and wanted to know if I am still interested. If so then they will send me information about ordering the kit one day before the public launch to assure I will be able to get the limited production quantity. Their web site says the kit is only compatible with 21 inch Arachnids. Since I’ve put 20 inch Signature wheels on my Plaid I guess I’m out of luck. But wouldn’t they squeeze under my wheels.

Last edited:
If they need a 21" wheel to clear, it'd be interesting to know if they'll install on aftermarket ones that are not as chunky and heavy as the arachnids. Why upgrade the brakes only to hide them behind those SUV wheels?
Also wonder if the top speed unlock would stay intact if you had the brakes installed and then swapped out the wheels afterwards. Saw someone speculating they might use an RFID tag to ensure the proper equipment.

Reactions: Laddcruzer
I suspect they will rely on bluetooth equipped rubber to determine top speed unlock. While there are low quality wheels that won't stand up to those kinds of speeds, it's the tire speed rating that is most critical.

Tesla spec tires (T0, T1, etc) are already moving to being bluetooth equipped so that the car knows 1) the speed rating of the car is appropriate and 2) the tire inflation pressure is appropriate. I could even see them limiting top speed based on the age of the tire (old degraded rubber will not hold up to temp/load as well as fresh rubber).