TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Will Tesla “ever” give early Reservation holders priority over new S/X owners?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by aronth5, Feb 25, 2017.

1. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Not a new topic since Tesla has clearly stated delivery priority goes to Tesla and Space X employees, then California and the left coast before moving eastward. And I'm not even getting into the prioritization process for the rest of the world.

My question is three fold and lets use my situation as an example but this applies to many others. I made my reservation at the Hingham, Ma store at 10:15am on 3/31. I'm hoping delivery would be sometime in Q1 2018. So based on Tesla's statement someone on the east coast who takes delivery of a Model S/X in Q1 of 2018 would get priority on a Model 3.

First, do you believe it is fair that someone in the US who takes delivery nearly 2 years after a day 1 reservation should get priority? I certainly get the priority that early Model X/S owners take precedence. After all they helped make the Model 3 even possible. And my apologies to folks in Canada, Europe and elsewhere who will have an even longer wait.

Second, do you think Tesla should eventually draw a line in the sand and say that after "X" date early reservation holds take precedence over new Model S/X owners?

Third, do you think Tesla will ever do it and if they do what cut off date would make sense?

2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

o_O

Not a chance.

Your second question doesn't apply... see answer 1.

someone who takes delivery in Q1 2018 didn't help fund the design, engineer, or manufacture the Model 3 up to that point.

They will, I suggested in another post in another thread how they could do this fairly while also not over burdening the service centers. In addition, current owners make up a small percentage of res holders.

There's not going to be one cut off date... likely many cut off dates. For example March 31st alone has enough reservations to keep them busy for months. March 31st probably also had a few Model S/X or Roadster owners. It wouldn't be fair to fill all West coast reservations for the past year before moving East. That would backlog the service centers for deliveries and would be unfair to everyone else. My thought is that it will go in waves. (employees, March 31st owners on west coast, March 31st non-owners, March 31st midwest owners, non-owners,... etc) That and April 1st is enough to keep them busy through January.

• Like x 1
  3. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I can't imagine a really late Model S/X reservation holder would get priority over an early Model 3 reservation holder. It's probably going to have a lot more to do with location/country, and when the reservation was made.

I'm a Model S owner and I haven't read anything that suggests that the priority will be anything, but a very minor one. Like if we reserved roughly around the same time period.

I haven't even reserved yet. Why would I when I have something that works great, and Tesla hasn't even shown us what the interior will look like for real. If I didn't have it I would certainly have a reservation hold in place.

For Tesla is makes sense to offer some priority to Model S/X owners to reward them, but at the same time it's in their best interest to get new buyers into a Tesla.

4. doublebo7

doublebo7 Member

I gave tesla $5000 back in Jan 2015 for a unseen, not driven model 90 D X. It's not delivered as it's in bits in Tilburg. I would think that getting 100D spec fitted would possible and a nice gesture for waiting so long, but no, stuff you our patient customer who paying $120000!

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. strider

strider Active Member

The cut off will be the start of production. After that all reservations will be treated the same. Of course they will still prioritize production based on option load, geography, etc. as you stated.

Also there is another reason for Tesla prioritizing existing owners that has nothing to do w/ "getting Tesla to where they are today." Early Model 3's will have problems. LOTS of problems. Existing owners will give the company more slack to fix problems. Also they already know the drill for dealing w/ their Service Center and all. This way they can work out the kinks w/ a favorable audience (first employees then existing owners) before they get to new customers.

• Like x 3
  6. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I think just about everyone could come up with reasons that they should have a higher priority.

Roadster owners could claim priority over Model S Sig holders.
    Model S Sig over other Model S owners...and so on with the X
    New owners could claim they should come first, since they'd be putting a new EV onto the road (and others have already gotten their deduction).

Imo, @strider got it right above. The earliest Model 3s will go to the people who built them, then to their colleagues, and then finally to existing owners who will be more understanding than someone who has never owned an EV before. And when you think of all the handholding that has to be done with most new EV owners, that overnight level of customer service could crush Tesla.

They're doing it right.

• Like x 4
  7. aronth5

Agree in principle but the question is not about existing owners but a new EV owner early next year. That is why the threads title included the word "ever". Should they also get priority?

• Like x 1
  8. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

If it's sitting in Tilford, then it already has a battery pack. The 100D isn't just a firmware thing, it's a totally different battery pack with a different internal design and a bunch more cells. If Tesla gave you an upgrade, you'd have to wait still more months for a new pack to get sent out from the factory, and they'd have to do something with the pack that's sitting in Tilford.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but I'm not surprised that they said no under the circumstances.

• Like x 1
  9. Canuck1966

Canuck1966 Member

Below is a quote from Tesla website. Last I checked Canada is part of North America and my home town is Vancouver is on the West Coast.

When will my Model 3 be delivered?

Model 3 production is scheduled to begin in mid 2017. At this time, the delivery estimate for new reservations is mid 2018 or later, depending on country of delivery. Once production begins, we will begin deliveries in North America starting on the West Coast, moving east. As we continue to ramp production, we will begin deliveries in Europe, APAC and right-hand drive markets. As we get closer to production, we will have more details to share with you.

10. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Priority over who?

I think I answered it in the last part of my response. Most new EV owners require a lot of handholding - the amount of bandwidth they could consume with early deliveries that require, ummm, "a bit of patience" would crush any company. I'd rather Tesla focus on line efficiency & quality improvements before a new EV owner gets their Model 3. At that point manuals will be robust, early owners will have youtube videos online explaining various aspects, etc.

11. timk225

timk225 Member

I got my 3 reservation in the first 10 minutes on 3/31, and yes, I would like to have my 3 as soon as possible.

However.... I don't mind letting the previous Tesla owners and employees go ahead of me in line and get their 3's first, so if there any problems discovered, or Tesla has to correct manufacturing issues that are discovered later, there's a better chance that my 3 will be made after those problems are fixed. Let the people in a big hurry be the guinea pigs for me, so my 3 should have less chance of a problem! :)

I can wait a couple extra months for that.

• Like x 6
  12. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

I'm with
    #11timk225
    I can wait a little longer (not that I have a choice) There WILL be bugs and please work them out prior to delivering my 3 :)
    Good points made here on prior owners being familiar with and maybe more patient with issues. I have had nothing but positive experiences with the service center. Of course I am only 11 miles from one and I stop by to charge and talk Tesla. :)

• Like x 1
  13. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

I'm almost with you - except I really, really want my Model 3 :)
    There have been many rumors developing about how the rollout will happen and which models will arrive first. Its that part that is just as interesting and relevant for me.
    One suggestion was that the first cars would be large battery with RWD and not the top of the range. I'm assuming that's because they are expecting that config to be popular, maybe based on current S75 sales?
    Who knows, but one thing is for sure, we will find out this year :)

• Like x 1
  14. electracity

electracity Active Member

"Fair"? Tesla is not mommy. They create an aura of exclusivity by rewarding S/X buyers. The ordering of a Model 3 queue is a marketing decision.

"Jumping the queue" by a model S/X purchase this year encourages sales.

15. aronth5

The initial example I gave was priority of a first day reservation holder compared to someone who buys an X/S for the first time next year. Second example is someone from Europe who was a first reservation day holder getting bumped by someone In the US who buys their first X/S in 2019. That just doesn't feel warranted so the question I am raising is at what point should Tesla adjust their policy?

16. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Member

Aren't the employees the ones to figure out all the flaws, keep it behind closed doors, and then get great cars to market faster than a regular launch would have allowed? Employees can access the internal feedback system much better than buying customers would, I'm sure. One thousand employees would get som many bugs out within the first few weeks...or the whole employees first thing is an utter fail.

17. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

True, they are banking on that conversion rate. As of May last year only 7% of the res holders were current owners. If that's still the case even with current reservation numbers, then in my region, owners would account for less than a week's worth of production.

Giving owners priority no matter when they reserved would still only put me behind by a week or less.

18. Frank Schwab

Frank Schwab Member

"aura of exclusivity" wasn't promised; loyalty was. I think Tesla could choose to deliver Model 3's to Tesla owners as of the date of the Model 3 reveal first,and stay true to Elon's tweet. I think they could also choose to decide that Tesla owners always had priority - if someone came in and bought a Model S in June of 2018, they could put a deposit down on a Model 3 whose delivery would immediately have priority.
    We don't have any insight into how they're going to make this decision. But everything I've seen says they try to make good, fair decisions, and the 7% or so of reservations that are to current owners aren't going to make a big difference to when anyone gets their car.

19. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

We actually do have insight... I've found this gem in the q1 2016 call

• Informative x 1
  20. azred

azred Member

I noticed that once again the alt news continues that some X and S owners probably won't get Model 3 purchase priority due to a future or past cutoff date. That is pure speculation that no one in authority at Tesla has ever even suggested.