Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla be able to deliver FSD with HW3.0 and current Model 3 sensor suite, ever?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just wonder why trains, especially freight trains, are not yet autonomous? I think that would be the first step to validate FSD.

Trains are running on tracks, they cannot change lane by them self, and use section areas which are the ultimate geo-fence model.
It's mainly financial interests and unions protecting jobs.

In asian countries train are very close to autonomous. Lots of light railways are unmanned (Dockland light rail, UK).

In the UK the biggest obstacle to autonomous trains is unions refusing to refusing to allow development or testing as it threatens their members jobs. 30 years ago I went to Singapore and found their city metro trains have air conditioned stations and glass walls on the platform edge. Back in London I asked a friend who drove London Tube trains why did we not do the same as it makes the stations much more pleasant and stops people jumping or being pushed in front of the trains. He said it's because the drivers can't manually stop accurately enough to align the train doors with the platform doors ( a few cm accuracy). Once you automate that it's clear you really don't need a driver, so we have had manual trains and lots of deaths for 25 years. Finally they are now fitting walls, but the main cause of accidents is still drivers ignoring red lights.

Still one of our rail networks keeps striking because they don't want the train guards designated as stewards because that makes them non essential. So to decide if it's safe to leave instead of a station operator with good local knowledge and lots of cameras we get an overpaid bloke leaning out of a door.

For a detailed example of how wrong things can go look at the New York subway
The Most Expensive Mile of Subway Track on Earth

Having said that unions also provide vital protection from exploitation of workers but sometimes they fail to find a balance.

Trains are not automatous because it is expensive to implement, and there is significant push back by the train trade unions to not automate away jobs.
That's an interesting take, but I'm not sure it makes financial sense. There are a whole lot fewer trains operating than there are cars. If every Tesla pays $7,000 and there are currently over 1,000,000 of them on the road, that's $7 Billion of development fees paid to develop self-driving cars. Maybe that's the real reason Tesla is starting with self-driving cars. Even if it cost half as much to develop self-driving trains, who's going to pay the $3.5 Billion to develop them and you'd still need a conductor until it was 100% safe.

As someone who placed a bet on FSD (with cash during purchase) and now is StUcK in HW 2.0 with Tesla telling me all the things they can't do....I belive the op is correct. Depressing. I bought my first Tesla in 2013 and fell in love with service promises MADE and ACHIEVED. Now with my second one things just look bleak........

The more I see how slow Tesla is at delivering new FSD features, the more I think it will never happen. Assuming current HW3.0 and sensor suite.

I mean - Ok, stop signs. Great. In 5 years development timeline? How long it will be before Tesla releases unprotected left turns on intersections? Another 5 years?

Bottom line - my prediction is Tesla will never be able to release FSD, even in USA, on HW3.0 and current sensor suite.

Now I guess 99% of the forum would disagree with me. I’m curious - is there anyone else who agrees with my prediction?

Going up $1000 end of the month is this a sign of a big release? That point, the value of FSD is probably somewhere in excess of $100,000. LOL!

EYVpEW9XQAMw_D5.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
As someone who placed a bet on FSD (with cash during purchase) and now is StUcK in HW 2.0 with Tesla telling me all the things they can't do....I belive the op is correct. Depressing. I bought my first Tesla in 2013 and fell in love with service promises MADE and ACHIEVED. Now with my second one things just look bleak........

You should be eligible to upgrade to HW3.0, right? At least you should do that.

It depends on your viewpoint of “never”. I am 67 years old, and I would put money on it that my Model 3 will “never” allow me to sit in the back seat and take me where I want to go. That’s why I didn’t give Elon a $6000 interest free loan when I bought the car. Now thirty-somethings may see it, so “never” may not be true in that case. IMHO, summon, lane changes, and TL and stop signs still isn’t worth $6000, never mind the $7000 it is now, and more likely in the near future. And EAP doesn’t work well on secondary roads on top of it all. I’m happy with it standard for use on long trips, free. Now that was a good deal.

My definition of "never" is "not going to happen at any point in the future". Assuming current HW3.0 and current sensor suite. I do believe it will happen, of course, sometime, for someone, just not with this particular hardware and sensor suite.

You have herky jerky stops? Maybe you need to stop talking bad about your car while you're in it. Mine stops super smoothly.
Yes, in the last couple of weeks with stoplight recognition, when my 3 comes to a red light, it stops with several jerks. Not smooth at all. Btw-- It doesn't respond to Stop signs at all.
So, you think it's because of the way I talk to my (seriously under-achieving) car?

Yes, in the last couple of weeks with stoplight recognition, when my 3 comes to a red light, it stops with several jerks. Not smooth at all. Btw-- It doesn't respond to Stop signs at all.
So, you think it's because of the way I talk to my (seriously under-achieving) car?

It's appallingly jerky and severe, and uses the friction brakes instead of regen. It's worse on any sort of decline, it's pretty clear the logic to determine the decel curve to the stop is very, very flawed.

I doubt it. Don't think the car has reached that level of AI yet ;-} But wouldn't it be nice if all it took when the car was acting up was just "Who's a pretty car? You Are!"

But it does appear something is funky with your car. My car stops super smoothly and hasn't missed a light or stop sign yet. Even on pretty steep hills.

• Funny
Reactions: Actaeon
Oh boy... The useful feature set between the now included autopilot and FSD isn't close to being worth 7k let alone 8k.

I wish they would allow you to buy parts of FSD for a lower cost but still sell FSD as a bundle

I wish they'd let you attach it to your Tesla profile so it doesn't get lost if some left of the bell curve genetic throwback douche canoe hits your car and totals it.

or if you just, you know, buy a new car because yours became old and decrepit and crappy while waiting for any of the FSD promises to materialize.

I doubt it. Don't think the car has reached that level of AI yet ;-} But wouldn't it be nice if all it took when the car was acting up was just "Who's a pretty car? You Are!"

But it does appear something is funky with your car. My car stops super smoothly and hasn't missed a light or stop sign yet. Even on pretty steep hills.
I do think you're right. Cause it's quite dramatic and disturbs passengers. This is so serious I would think the forums would be ranting about it. So, it's just my Tesla. Just my luck!