Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla be able to deliver FSD with HW3.0 and current Model 3 sensor suite, ever?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in France and took delivery last week. Very disappointed. Stop signs, roundabouts, turn off at exit on autopilot nav..none working. Also, despite holding the steering wheel as if I'm strangling it, I'm required to move it slightly every 10 seconds. Uncomfortable and annoying.
The rest of the car is fine but I feel I've been blackmailed into enhanced autopilot

1. Try strangling it with one hand only!
Just joking, but do realise the steering sensor relies on torque, not grip strength. With elbow resting on windowsill the weight of one hand at 9 o'clock is enough to keep it happy.

2. Also, handling stop signs & roundabouts are not activated yet in Europe. (turn off at exit on NoAP works for me just about everywhere)
Stopping at stop signs is tentatively expected (per Elon Tweet) in Q3 of 2020.

3. If you took a new delivery last week you cannot have EAP; do you mean FSD?

What I take away from reading this is that if/when it does happen it is going to take cooperation at all levels, city, state, fed, civil, etc., and it is going to be slower than driving yourself.

Ideally it would be a great solution. But I guess FSD will be advanced enough already before it will ever happen. Regulators Tesla has to deal with now are federal, so we are talking about maybe 200 or so regulatory bodies worldwide. Now with city levels, we are talking about millions of entities to coordinate or cooperate with. So I guess it can only happen AFTER actual FSD is operational to a large extent, so cities will see benefits substantial enough to invest in major changes at the city level.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverString
1. Try strangling it with one hand only!
Just joking, but do realise the steering sensor relies on torque, not grip strength. With elbow resting on windowsill the weight of one hand at 9 o'clock is enough to keep it happy.

2. Also, handling stop signs & roundabouts are not activated yet in Europe. (turn off at exit on NoAP works for me just about everywhere)
Stopping at stop signs is tentatively expected (per Elon Tweet) in Q3 of 2020.

3. If you took a new delivery last week you cannot have EAP; do you mean FSD?
Having driven a great deal with AutoPilot and FSD I think there may be a bit of a shock when it gets turned on in other countries like in the US. Roundabouts in particular are scary, and there are many two lane roundabouts appearing - they are a recipe for a wreck with the best of human drivers - FSD is likely to enter and start screaming its head off, red screening you, and stop. I won't enter them except on FHD (Full Human Drive).

Having driven a great deal with AutoPilot and FSD I think there may be a bit of a shock when it gets turned on in other countries like in the US. Roundabouts in particular are scary, and there are many two lane roundabouts appearing - they are a recipe for a wreck with the best of human drivers - FSD is likely to enter and start screaming its head off, red screening you, and stop. I won't enter them except on FHD (Full Human Drive).

I will not attempt entering a two-lane roundabout in FSD mode, that is for sure! Great term you couned for FHD. We should probably invent something more distinctive from FSD, though.

It's been mentioned a bunch....

Most recent on the last investor call

Tesla will launch ride-sharing app with its own driver insurance - Electrek

They mention Elon "reiterated" his plan to release the Tesla network with human drivers (meaning he's said this before- I'm sure you can dig up the earlier references if interested in when he started saying it)

Forward-looking statements do not apply to me as FSD buyer ))

Also, human drivers will likely be in Tesla-owned cars, not something regular people own.

I think it is realistic to expect for a car with FSD to make turns on intersections, avoid potholes on the road, and do this in a city. This is definitely not happening right now.
Just to clarify:
There are weather systems that are just TOO big to fly around and that is why, even Commercial large Jet flights are delayed or cancelled. Sometimes because their destination airport is not safe to land at. So, yes, in most planes with a good glass cockpit and an IFR flight plan you can obtain permission from ATC to go above or around a smaller system, but we were talking about EXTREME weather conditions.
The kind that result in flight cancellations or delays and for small aircraft, general aviation, result in flights delayed or cancelled for that day.
As for potholes, I suspect that is going to take additional hardware and processing power to interpret and avoid. With a pothole, it is more than just avoidance, it involves awareness of your surroundings to allow avoidance and often split second decisions. This is why I talk about ideal conditions standing in the way of any FSD system.

A little bit dramatic there do you not think? A plane can simply just fly over or around a weather system in a lot of cases. Weather is valid because one moment you can be out and its fine the other moment you are in the back seat playing cards and the car is screaming at you to take over. The thing is this is about what was said it could do when you buy and if it will ever do what was said it could do within a reasonable time frame. Like within the decade.

Just to clarify:
There are weather systems that are just TOO big to fly around and that is why, even Commercial large Jet flights are delayed or cancelled. Sometimes because their destination airport is not safe to land at. So, yes, in most planes with a good glass cockpit and an IFR flight plan you can obtain permission from ATC to go above or around a smaller system, but we were talking about EXTREME weather conditions.
The kind that result in flight cancellations or delays and for small aircraft, general aviation, result in flights delayed or cancelled for that day.

Just to clarify:
As for potholes, I suspect that is going to take additional hardware and processing power to interpret and avoid. With a pothole, it is more than just avoidance, it involves awareness of your surroundings to allow avoidance and often split second decisions. This is why I talk about ideal conditions standing in the way of any FSD system.

I think Tesla's reaction time on HW3.0 is Ok. Should be enough to avoid objects on the road. No one asks to see a pothole in heavy rain (at least I don't). I think it is a combination of factors, but I certainly believe with better sensors, maybe slightly faster hardware and 10 or so years of advancements in software it will be possible. Just not soon enough for the current owners with current hardware. Size will not be a problem for sure. Cost maybe, but I guess in 10 years also less likely.

Reactions: OPRCE
This has already been debunked earlier in the thread.

Forward-looking statement - Wikipedia

In United States business law, a forward-looking statement or safe harbor statement is a statement that cannot sustain itself as merely a historical fact. A forward-looking statement predicts, projects, or uses future events as expectations or possibilities. These statements can often be misleading, as they can be mistaken for factual statements, while they are actually speculation.

In other words- when Elon says on an investor call or meeting we "hope to do X by Y date" there's no legal obligation to actually meet that goal, nor even a requirement for them to update you if they later realize they can't meet it.

The description of what you are buying when you buy FSD is an obligation Tesla owes you.

What Elon says during an investor presentation as a forward looking statement is not

That's pretty black and white under the law.

This has not been debunked at all!
- Forward looking statement pretends only to a company's financials. It has nothing to do with marketing or expected product applications, consumer protection etc.
- it is an American law. So they could not even "hide" behind this outside the US

This has not been debunked at all!

Yes, it has though... Now let's watch as you misunderstand it again and get the basics wrong...

Th
- Forward looking statement pretends only to a company's financials. It has nothing to do with marketing or expected product applications, consumer protection etc.

This is 100% wrong.

You'd know if you'd bothered to actually read the link provided at least twice now in the thread where it mentions they include things like predictions about the future of products (like FSD!) and about future operations (not just financials).

If you'd like even more info see here:
Forward Looking Statements - Example of this Common Disclaimer

Where among the list of things you'd apply forward looking statement disclaimers to are:

"Completion of projects that are underway, in development or under consideration"

Like- FSD for example!

Or here-

Application Of The Safe Harbor For Forward-Looking Statements - FindLaw

Where among uses for forward looking statements they list "new product developments"

You know- like future FSD features.

- it is an American law. So they could not even "hide" behind this outside the US

Of course they can. Tesla is an american company, traded on an american exchange, and protected by american securities laws.

I see you're from Canada-

Hilariously- here's the Royal Bank of CANADA mentioning "hiding" behind the exact same protections-
Forward Looking Statements - Royal Bank of Canada

RBC said:
From time to time, we make written or oral forward-looking statements within the meaning of certain securities laws, including the “safe harbour” provisions of the United States Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 and any applicable Canadian securities legislation

Yes, it has though... Now let's watch as you misunderstand it again and get the basics wrong...

This is 100% wrong.

You'd know if you'd bothered to actually read the link provided at least twice now in the thread where it mentions they include things like predictions about the future of products (like FSD!) and about future operations (not just financials).

If you'd like even more info see here:
Forward Looking Statements - Example of this Common Disclaimer

Where among the list of things you'd apply forward looking statement disclaimers to are:

"Completion of projects that are underway, in development or under consideration"

Like- FSD for example!

Or here-

Application Of The Safe Harbor For Forward-Looking Statements - FindLaw

Where among uses for forward looking statements they list "new product developments"

You know- like future FSD features.

Of course they can. Tesla is an american company, traded on an american exchange, and protected by american securities laws.

I see you're from Canada-

Hilariously- here's the Royal Bank of CANADA mentioning "hiding" behind the exact same protections-
Forward Looking Statements - Royal Bank of Canada

Everything you write is nonsense. I will not go into it any further.

Yea, especially if you read that it is applicable for the trading of securities and has nothing to do with consumers buying products!

Indeed.

Things a guy says about future possibilities on an investor call have nothing to do with consumers buying products

Instead, the actual advertised features of the thing you are buying, especially those explicitly presented to you when you buy it, are the things they're actually legally obligated to provide to you.

Thanks for finally realizing that! Glad I could help!

I doubt if the problem with delivery of complete FSD is the sensor suite.

I think the problem is the thousands of edge cases which have to be successfully handled.

Let's talk about speed limits as an example:
- We currently have speed limits from a massive database, which is mostly accurate for static speed limits
- Adding sign reading will allow the database to be updated and allow more accuracy, but still static
- Edge case where GPS doesn't determine correct speed limit because car isn't sure which road its on (ex: 45mph on slip road vs 65 mph on freeway)
- Edge case for construction speed limits, but a static sign
- Edge case for variable speed limits from signs (common in Europe, not so much in USA)
- Edge for reading time-variable speed limits
---- School zone: Restrict speed when sign has flashing light
---- School zone: Restrict speed "whenever school is in session", which requires accurately knowing all the school schedules
---- Construction zone: Restrict speed "when workers present"

I could go on, but even an apparently simple job of figuring the current speed limit for whatever piece of road the vehicle is on, rapidly gets you into some difficult edge cases.
Interesting partial list of examples, which I agree with. What is becoming more clear to me is that the diversity of often nonstandard roadsigns out there, sometimes with conditional driving directions, means that recognizing a sign against a pattern may not be actually get us there. There may need to be text recognition and comprehension functions added to the AI in order to deal with these and other nefarious cases, given that sign creators seem to delight in inventing ever more edge cases for sign recognition.

Such examples also illustrate, I think, that relying on a remote database is unlikely to ever be a satisfactory solution. I can't think of any other technology but vision systems that will ever compete with the proliferation of states sign types, conditions, and especially with dynamic sign types (construction on this mile today, on the next mile next week, ...)

Duplicating the efficacy of human recognition and understanding (when the human is focused and not distracted, sleepy, or intoxicated) is no small task.