Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla be introducing CarPlay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's needed for model 3 launch.
Yeah, I was reading about that earlier today. Apparently carplay is now a core NHTSA requirement.

What's that? You say it's not a requirement or even a make or break feature? Whoa

Seriously though, calm down. I agree that the media features are somewhat lacking but at this point I think we all know there's not much focus on improving that area. If it's a deal breaker then you'll have the option of your next car not being a Tesla.

Who cares about Car Play. Pay attention to your driving and leave the Fruit toys for stationary activity.
The biggest item on my wish list for the media features is better phone integration providing an option for text messages to be displayed on the center screen. I don't even care about the ability to reply. Basically, I just think it would be nice to be able to quickly glance at the text message and see if it's something urgent or if it can be ignored.

I do find it sad that my 10 year old BMW 3 series has better phone and audio connectivity (oh , and SOUND)
"I've got you beat, my daughters Honda Civic has better phone and audio connectivity by far than my Tesla. Tesla is about 2 generations behind state of the art in infotainment. When I got my MS 2.5 years ago it was an annoyance. Now it's just embarrassing.

The biggest item on my wish list for the media features is better phone integration providing an option for text messages to be displayed on the center screen. I don't even care about the ability to reply. Basically, I just think it would be nice to be able to quickly glance at the text message and see if it's something urgent or if it can be ignored.

That is what smart watches are for. I can turn my wrist slightly on the wheel when a text comes in and glance at it. Then I can call back using the car voice commands.

From reading around here about this multiple times, there is a hardware component that is missing for this to happen in current cars.
I totally want it though. Any time I go on a trip and get a Chevy/Hyundai rental car with CarPlay, I just get all geeky in love.

Us guys that spent over $100k on our S & X's would also like comparable features that other car companies give on 20k cars but it is what it is and I have just about giving up on complaining about this stuff. Car Play, Android Auto, Heck there are tons of things our systems are lacking. I would love my car to read my text messages but no such luck with Tesla. In my opinion Tesla does not care about us folks since they already got our money and they are only focusing on what will bring them new revenue at the moment.

That is what smart watches are for. I can turn my wrist slightly on the wheel when a text comes in and glance at it. Then I can call back using the car voice commands.

Customer: Can your car display text messages on the big ass screen in the middle of the dash?
Tesla: No but for only $399 you can have this lovely miniature screen on your wrist that provides a lot of the features our car should! Just don't forget to charge it every night and if you go with the Samsung model we'll even toss in a free burn-proof wrist protector!

Us guys that spent over $100k on our S & X's would also like comparable features that other car companies give on 20k cars but it is what it is and I have just about giving up on complaining about this stuff.
Yep. That was my point above. We should definitely have these features by now but it's also obvious that it's not on the the agenda over at Tesla. So might as well forget about and be surprised if it ever happens.

A Reus Audio upgrade resolves the sound quality, but the audio interface in general along with the public nature (outside the car) of private conversations would be indeed offputting.

As in unimpressive to a Model 3 reservation holder not completely sold who spent the weekend experiencing my AP2 Model S.

Between AP2 and the poor audio interface, I don't expect she'll get a Tesla. Instead, Audi will probably get her business.

I've stopped recommending new Teslas to friends and family. I now recommend CPO AP1 cars for a 2-3 year period until things get sorted out by, say, 2020 (bring on the Model Y!).

One would think the audio interface would be low-hanging fruit. Or not.

I am not sure that CarPlay is more important than building more Superchargers or service centers so we can travel the country stress free.....and we already have free internet and free Slacker that will play any song you can think of......and by the way isn't texting while driving a no-no? Come to think of it, all those little Hondas and Toyotas don't have any of this.

Since the media player was first introduced 5 years ago - most of the changes since then have been to the user interface - improving the appearance, even when it reduced functionality (such as the temporary removal of the first letter scroll bar, or the XM station slider - which is still missing).

Musk indicated a few years ago that Tesla would have screen mirroring, comparable to Apple CarPlay or Android Auto - but instead of that, we got the "improvements" in 8.0, which left a trail of bugs that still haven't been fixed (other threads document the USB and XM bugs). And then 8.1 was supposed to be additional improvements (fixing what was wrong with 8.0) - and that didn't happen.

It is disappointing when we rent a car on vacation, and those cars have better smartphone integration - such as text to audio for incoming text messages and e-mail. Though, they don't have the beautiful 17" touchscreen for the interface...

Surprisingly Model S and X owners have been pretty patient - willing to give Tesla time to get the media player & navigation software right. Though - it's been 5 years - and since the first media player and navigation apps were released, we really haven't seen much improvement - and still miss obvious features - such as playlists, waypoints or route customization.

Even at the lower price point, Model 3 owners may not be as understanding. The Chevy Bolt has better smartphone integration - and as other manufacturers bring out competing long range EVs, Tesla does risk having their onboard software become an impediment for sales.

Can't we at least get the bugs fixed??? (Still don't see the XM station list...)

Reactions: Petra and Matias
Hard to agree with this.

50% of the time Slacker doesn't play what I asked for, and instead plays some selection of allegedly similar songs.

And, if I want to start a song again or back it up a few seconds to catch some lyrics, Nope Slacker cannot seek backwards or forwards in songs. What?? It can only start a song again when you didn't ask for that, like when you start driving after parking your car. Right, Slacker cannot resume playback.

Annoying, and would never happen if I could just use Apple Music or Spotify via CarPlay.

CarPlay texting is just text to speech and vice versa. It's actually a great way to prevent texting while driving for those less safety conscious.

Plus with CarPlay you'd be able to use your phone's navigation. The Tesla navigation often tells us weird (wrong) routes. Like this one, that involves driving a few miles backwards and then around and back, instead of taking the obvious shorter route ahead and left. Never happens with Google Navigation.

IMG_7947.JPG

Adding CarPlay would actually let owners have the best experience in the car without having to invest in keeping up with the state of the art in all functional areas. It would let Tesla focus on the core product without compromising the features.

I am not sure that CarPlay is more important than building more Superchargers or service centers so we can travel the country stress free.....and we already have free internet and free Slacker that will play any song you can think of......and by the way isn't texting while driving a no-no? Come to think of it, all those little Hondas and Toyotas don't have any of this.