Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla be introducing CarPlay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While we've been strong Tesla supporters - with two Model S already and two Model 3 reservations, if Audi (or someone else) produces a long range EV, with support for a long distance charging network - unless Tesla gets their act together with the onboard software, it may be harder for us to push "order" on the Tesla site in a few years...

I recollect Elon suggesting that they were working on app mirroring a few months before I got my Model S in August 2016. The delivery rep also told me that the feature would be available in six months, echoing a tweet from Elon, which means last February. So obviously not on the horizon.

Logan5 - yes. He also made similar statements about other missing features - like the app store, 3rd party API, improved kernel, improved browser, improved media player, improved navigation, customizable user interface, ...

And then there's the AP2 running at AP1 levels, which was projected for December 2016 - and still not here yet...

Overall our Tesla Model S cars - are great cars to drive - just wish the software was at the same level as the hardware...

I recollect Elon suggesting that they were working on app mirroring a few months before I got my Model S in August 2016. The delivery rep also told me that the feature would be available in six months, echoing a tweet from Elon, which means last February. So obviously not on the horizon.

There are a few upgrades that are confirmed to be coming:
- new Linux version (confirmed by EM)
- bunch of new UI features (confirmed by EM, and supposed to be out months ago)
- new MCU processor (certainly in the Model 3, and I can't imagine that it won't migrate to the S).

I suspect that we're going to see these things at the same time. I also suspect that you'll see some features that won't be implemented on the old MCU, simply because they can't get it to run acceptably. That may be a large part of why we've seen the delay in the new OS and the new UI.

I am not sure that CarPlay is more important than building more Superchargers or service centers so we can travel the country stress free.....and we already have free internet and free Slacker that will play any song you can think of......and by the way isn't texting while driving a no-no? Come to think of it, all those little Hondas and Toyotas don't have any of this.
adding carplay is a whole different thing than superchargers...and Come to think of it my wifes toyota has text reading and on screen display (when parked) in addition to a better audio system