TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will Tesla be Ready for 500,000 Model 3's?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Sharkbait, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

#1 Sharkbait, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    I struggled where to place this post.

Like many here, I own a Model S and have a Model 3 reserved. I took ownership of my S 75 on the last day of September, last Friday. Did I screw up? On the second day of ownership, I started receiving “Driver Assistance Features Unavailable” (DAFU) errors when powering up the vehicle. Over the weekend, I found telephone support pretty much useless. (If the two button reboot doesn’t work or a complete power down didn’t work, the technician wants to call a flatbed.) While the technician on phone never heard of DAFU errors, they have been very well documented in these forums. Is Tesla’s knowledge-base lacking?

The vehicle is still drivable but features like cruise control and Autopilot are disabled, not to mention the constant DAFU error message tones. A couple days later, my local service center in Buena Park, CA tried applying an OTA fix but it did nothing to address the problem. This morning I drove to my other home, the one closest to the service center. I called Tesla’s Service department in Buena Park at 11:45 am and got a recording asking me to leave a message and somebody would call me back. WTF?

I guarantee you if I called Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, or even Cadillac, somebody in Service would have answered the phone at 11:45 am. Hell, even Chevy service would have answered the phone (good for potential Bolt owners). I left my message, along with my telephone number and waited. By 1:08 pm nobody had returned my call so I called them again. I got an attendant on the phone and asked her if I could speak to the Service Manager. Naturally, he was “unavailable”. She took my number and said he would call me back. He eventually did around 4:30 pm. That's ok, he's a busy person.

What the hell will Tesla service be like when 500,000 M 3s are on the road? Sure, Tesla has to ramp up service but if they can’t efficiently handle a Model S owner’s problem now, how the hell will they handle service issues for all models in 2018? Will Tesla ration service? Will Tesla relegate M 3 owners to the back of the line behind Model X and Model S owners or will Tesla give priority service to M 3 owners that also own other Tesla models?

This should be a major concern for current owners and potential owners of any new Tesla, not to mention not being able to speak to a live person in service during the middle of the business day. More to come.

• Informative x 7
    • Like x 4
    • Dislike x 3
  2. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

My concern as well, they cannot take care of existing customers how will they deal with another 500,000. I'm not seeing the build out of service centers that needs to be done to handle the future mass market customers. You can be sure that someone buying the model 3 will not be as forgiving as the early adopters. Elon, stop thinking about Mars and take care of your current problems.

• Like x 8
  3. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

DAFU problems aside, I am really loving my Model S these first few days. The S 75 is a great car with excellent acceleration. At 70 years old, any "L" equipped model would probably kill me. However, I'll most likely be taking a one time deferral to configure my M3 if this whole service thing isn't fixed, along with more service centers and superchargers. Superchargers are important but not nearly as important as excellent service centers!

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  4. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

Could be a sensor issue, make sure the camera and radar are both clean. The service center will probably end up replacing or recalibrating one of the sensors.

I highly doubt I'd have the same problem of overcrowding here in the midwest. I would wager that most of the nation will not be as affected as California.

• Like x 2
  5. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

Indeed, the focus will be on the camera (no pun intended) and sensor calibration. Windshield was immaculate and front sensors were also very clean, no dirt, no bugs, no tumbleweeds. I've been assured that my car will be the first to be worked on tomorrow morning. They also offered to take me out to breakfast but would not offer a P100DL as a loaner if the car has to stay :(

• Like x 3
  6. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Active Member

I agree whole heartily. Elon hasn't even mentioned the M3 lately. All of this mars stuff is on the forefront. Of course Elon does not have to please me at all, however I believe the two of us aren't the only ones feeling this way.

• Like x 2
  7. Garlan Garner

It does not matter what the problem is. Tesla should really fix this issue quickly, however the service center backlog is huge at most locations.

• Like x 1
  8. Jopo43

Jopo43 Member

a little model 3 news would be nice

• Like x 1
  9. Garlan Garner

Absolutely...It certainly would.

I would simply like for anyone at Tesla to say ANYTHING about the M3.

• Funny x 1
  10. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

LOL! Thanks for the warm and fuzzy Garlan. A huge service backlog is not good news for Tesla service moving forward. Smart shareholders or potential TSLA stock buyers would be wise to keep a finger on the pulse of how well Tesla is doing in the service bay. If my car has to stay for a few days, and they can't loan me a P100DL, I might enjoy a Chevy Bolt loaner or screw it and go back to ICE. At 70, I have little patience for incompetence or poor support.

• Like x 1
  11. diamond.g

diamond.g Member

At some point Tesla is going to have to build more service centers. If they are in states that are not allowing that (cough VA, NC) then their only recourse is to sue. Assuming it takes a couple years to get the suit through the legal system, we still won't have a resolution in time for the Model 3.

It is almost as if Tesla will have to give in and go with franchised dealers (making the cars even more expensive) if they want to be able to grow their service footprint in time.

12. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Why are you entitled to a P100DL as a loaner?

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  13. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Elon announced at the Model 3 reveal that over the next year Tesla was going to double the number of service centers (and Superchargers). Now, in reality Tesla may not achieve that goal, but clearly they are going to greatly increase them over what they have now.

• Like x 2
  14. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Yes, when was the model 3 reveal and how many new service centers have been built. Does anyone have the numbers.

15. jonnyg

jonnyg Member

I didn't realize there were states not allowing service centers, I thought it was just the store where they sell cars that states are objecting to (I realize that frequently they put in a store and service center in the same location). But they should be allowed to build as many service center only locations as they want wherever they want, right?

• Like x 1
  16. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

They're called showrooms.

And technically Tesla doesn't sell cars there. You buy the car online (you have the option to buy it online in-store, but it's still considered an online purchase).

17. LectrikPower

LectrikPower Member

#17 LectrikPower, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    I share people's anxiety about the service sender issues. The 3's success is critical. I'm sure Musk knows this so I assume it will be addressed.

It does make me nervous though. I really want Tesla to succeed.

• Like x 4
  18. RDoc

RDoc S85D

I totally agree with the OP. The 2 service centers in MA are slammed and I cannot imagine what's going to happen once the Model 3 starts selling in volume. A related issue is the availability of parts. Waiting many weeks for a part, such as a suspension bushing in my case, doesn't seem unusual.

Unfortunately Teslas require a lot of service compared to most cars but have far fewer service centers and far worse parts availability.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  19. Jurnimon

Jurnimon Member

I had this problem when I first got the car. I noticed that I got this message I was charging on a pretty sketchy 110v outlet. It worked itself out after about 10 minutes of driving. It did not impair my ability to drive the car safely so I didn't bother. I think most of us are willing to look past some of these issues because we are all still technically early adopters. I think the Model 3 will be a different form of customer that will not have as much patience for these issues. I agree Tesla will need to make sure they have more trained techs and folks that can troubleshoot and quickly get to the bottom of issues on a consistent basis.

• Like x 1
  20. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

The other issue is parts availability, they will need to stock some of the more common parts that are used more frequently. You cannot do what they are doing now which is make the appointment you bring the car in, they then determine what needs to be done and order the appropriate parts. Can you imagine what this would mean for not only storage of the cars waiting for parts but wait time for repairs. The operations system they use now will not work on a larger scale, in fact it is not working now. Elon, do you have a plan?

• Like x 2