Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla build superchargers in cities?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reserved a Model 3, and like many, I live in a big city and don't rent or own a garage or parking space that could be outfitted with a charger. We park our current ICE-car in the street.

The purpose of superchargers is to make long-distance travel comfortable.

But I think, the components are almost complete to make supercharging in cities very useful:
1) Supercharger-abuse is (mostly) solved.
2) There is a fair pricing-model in place for supercharging.
3) Supercharging+ (>350 kW) will probably be introduced in the near future.

So: Putting Superchargers in cities would solve the charging problems for Tesla owners who park in the streets. They would pay for themselves and could be used like gas stations when the charging power is above 350 kW.
The lease for the lots will be higher, but slightly more expensive charging would be acceptable in cities, I think. Also, there may be deals to be made with current gas stations who will be able to lure more customers inside to buy coffee and such.

Of course, there already are other charging stations in our cities, but they are too slow to be convenient. Enhanced superchargers would make a big difference.

What do you think: Does that make sense for Tesla? Will they do it?

I'm new, BTW, so: Greetings from Berlin, Germany

Let me answer an implied question: will Tesla ever blanket all high-density living areas, like Berlin, such that there's copious charging opportunities for all the local, car-driving population who don't own a parking space to be able to charge?

I think the answer is no. There are just too many people and too many locations for Tesla to provide that service. However, once the ball is rolling, the invisible hand of market forces should lead to multiple companies building charging stations, blanketing the same areas to a reasonable supply to fulfill the demand. But, its a chicken and egg situation, and market forces have to be allowed (and in fact encouraged) to operate.

Government can't and shouldn't do it. They can induce the process, but shouldn't try do do it themselves. That inevitably distorts the process and then market forces aren't given the opportunity to work.

PS - you are aware that there are many chargers in Berlin, now, yes? Not anywhere near enough, but a start ... check out plugshare dot com

I predict that over the next several years, this whole supercharger thing will become a non-issue.

In many large cities there are already plans to add municipal and private high speed DC charging systems to encourage non-polluting vehicles fueling in their city centers.

I predict that over the next several years, this whole supercharger thing will become a non-issue.

In many large cities there are already plans to add municipal and private high speed DC charging systems to encourage non-polluting vehicles fueling in their city centers.
I hope your vision of the future is accurate. But until then, it amazes me that anyone would purchase an electric car without a home charging capability.

ELON MUSK:

We’re putting Superchargers in cities, not just between cities. And this is obviously important in places like, you know, Beijing, Shanghai, London, San Francisco, New York, where at times people may have a challenge with having a fixed parking space. It’s more like some of those people don’t have a definitive parking space. And they might have street parking or something, you know. London is particularly tricky one; where there’s – it’s got lot of high-end neighborhoods just have street parking.

Tesla Earnings Call Transcript Q1 2014 – Complete Conference Call - Insider Monkey

• Informative
Reactions: SpiceWare
I am sure this will be solved in time. The city I live in (Chengdu) has a population of over 12 million and Tesla have 5 SCs in the city which is plenty for now especially as most malls and upmarket hotels have a number of destination chargers. This is important as the vast majority of the population are apartment dwellers.

Although I charge at home I know this a problem for a lot of owners here but it is great that there are Tesla charging options all over town. There are quite a few commercial level 2 chargers about but no single app covers all or even most of these (maybe someone should get onto that).

I am confident that if there is a market and a commercial case Tesla or another company will fill the gap with extra facilities but not convinced it will just be with Superchargrs. The majority of drivers don't need super fast charging in town, it may be more convenient but is vastly more expensive for the installer/operator.

My biggest challenge is finding suitable charging out of town. 220V at 6a does not help when temperature in the mountains gets to below -10 C

I reserved a Model 3, and like many, I live in a big city and don't rent or own a garage or parking space
that could be outfitted with a charger. We park our current ICE-car in the street.

I'm in a similar situation and looking at the Tesla FindUs Map I noticed that the only alternative to Super Chargers
are the Destination Chargers, but those are reserved for patrons, like hotels.

Others maps such as PlugShare but most of those are for garage for which you need also to pay to park your car.
Obviously this is not s solution that you want to use every day, also some parking are closed at night.

In cities like San Francisco, the best alternative is to use the L2 DC Chargers accessible to most Whole Foods, at least you
don't have to pay for the parking but there are in general only two DC chargers available and one or two J1772 charger.

I hope your vision of the future is accurate.
But until then, it amazes me that anyone would purchase an electric car without a home charging capability.

When the Model 3 will start to be sold, unless you live in a house, recharging will become a real nightmare.

There are a lot of public parking not used at night (supermarkets, schools, churches...)
who could be use for charging car overnight using less expensive 220v 15A plugs than L2 chargers.

Also, the street parking meters are free after 6 pm but could be reserved at night to provide a place
for an EV plug overnight, may be using wireless charging to avoid vandalism.

To reduce pollution in cities, using EV is certainly a good option, so providing EV charging
for apartment dwellers
is a very important and crucial issue that need to be solved ASAP.

ELON MUSK:

We’re putting Superchargers in cities, not just between cities. And this is obviously important in places like, you know, Beijing, Shanghai, London, San Francisco, New York, where at times people may have a challenge with having a fixed parking space. It’s more like some of those people don’t have a definitive parking space. And they might have street parking or something, you know. London is particularly tricky one; where there’s – it’s got lot of high-end neighborhoods just have street parking.

Tesla Earnings Call Transcript Q1 2014 – Complete Conference Call - Insider Monkey
Love the quote, but at that time he was also stating free, unlimited supercharging forever. Reality has set in; the math just doesn't work. I respect your opinion but just like Exxon couldn't build that gas station on every major corner, Tesla won't either (but it does bring up the interesting concept of Tesla franchising Supercharging locations ... I like that idea! However, just like any other franchisee, there has to be some reasonable reassurance that the franchiser won't come along and bury you later on.)

And of course, I am not trying to negate the concept that charging stations (public or profit) will never be anywhere as frequent as gas stations, as electric is far easier to place where one parks.

ELON MUSK:

We’re putting Superchargers in cities, not just between cities. [...]

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware of it. Very interesting as a balance to Elon's statements that cars should be charged where you charge your phone - at home or at work, and that Superchargers are meant to facilitate long distance travel.

I am aware that there already are Superchargers in cities today. My understanding is however, that these are spread out metropolitan areas where Tesla is forced to put them in a metropolitan area to enable long distance travel. What I mean was very well paraphrased by CSFTN (thanks): Will Tesla populate cities with Superchargers to enable quick charging for people without garages.

Like I wrote: I am also aware of currently available chargers in my area. But charging at +350 kW (what I expect to be possible with the Model 3) would make it much easier to have an electric car without being able to charge at home, compared to having to use the current lame chargers.