Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla continue to develop AP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you guys think/know that as Tesla continues to improve their autonomous technology they will continue to release updates for AP (no FSD), or will AP more or less stay where it is now and the improvements be reserved for FSD and HW 3.0? Currently AP seems buggy in certain situations - failure to stop for stationary objects, sudden braking, excessive acceleration, unsafe on winding roads..etc. Wondering if AP can be expected to improve with time on existing hardware.

• Funny
Reactions: fr100
I think OP may be referring to the new "basic" AP in HW2.5 and HW3 cars. Yes, the smoothness and accuracy of the new "basic" AP should improve as EAP and FSD improve. The new "basic" AP uses the same neural network and code for TACC and autosteer. It just has all the newer automatic lane changing features disabled.

I think OP may be referring to the new "basic" AP in HW2.5 and HW3 cars. Yes, the smoothness and accuracy of the new "basic" AP should improve as EAP and FSD improve. The new "basic" AP uses the same neural network and code for TACC and autosteer. It just has all the newer automatic lane changing features disabled.
Yes it has the same neural net...for now, but with the imminent hardware change, wouldn’t Tesla install a more sophisticated neural net for the new hardware. This makes me think that AP (non FSD) development might be left behind as focus shifts to using HW 3.0 to its full potential.

Last edited:
Maybe some small refinements in common functions like smoothing out TACC, or the way AP handles the right lane when there is merging lane.

I expect those things to get a bit better over time.

I don't believe either of those things are at an adequate stopping point.

Plus there is the false braking, and there is still too much false braking to be an adequate stopping point.

Maybe in 9-12 months will start to see s significant drop in improvements to basic AP.

Development on AP1 pretty much stopped at a point when it really really good considering the hardware. That's why some AP1 owners still insist that AP1 is better.

Yes it has the same neural net...for now, but with the imminent hardware change, wouldn’t Tesla install a more sophisticated neural net for the new hardware. This makes me think that AP (non FSD) development might be left behind as focus shifts to using HW 3.0 to its full potential.

Good point. So then folks with HW3 and basic AP may benefit from the new hardware.

It’s got to. It handles lanes being added and taken away pretty badly currently. It basically swerved over and acts like a total jerk when lanes merge as it stands today.

I also hope they allow us to go faster then 5 mph over the speed limit 7 or 9 would be nice. My daily commute often has me being the slowest car on the road way.

It’s got to. It handles lanes being added and taken away pretty badly currently. It basically swerved over and acts like a total jerk when lanes merge as it stands today.

I also hope they allow us to go faster then 5 mph over the speed limit 7 or 9 would be nice. My daily commute often has me being the slowest car on the road way.

If I turn my autopilot on while i am going 10 over it will stay on. If I try to turn it up to 10 over it wont let me.

That’s true on the interstate I can go 10 over. On local freeways or loops that are 45 for some reason where everyone else goes 55 or 60 I can only go 50.

Basic AP is only intended for use on limited-access highways- not local roads. There's nothing to "fix" there.

FSD is adding local road support later this year where I expect the speed limit thing will work like AP does on highways today, but that won't ever come to basic AP.

AutoPilot is a part of Full Self Driving. As FSD is tuned, AP gets tuned.
And yes, even without the new CPU, AP will get updated.

This...isn't really true though going forward.

Right now HW3 is running the same HW2.x NNs in emulation mode (and doing so slightly worse than 2.x is running them natively)

But in the future- and this was listed as a specific major advantage to HW3- the will be running FSD with much larger and more complex NNs that 2.x HW is incapable of running.

So is Tesla going to continue to devote time/resources to improvements in two codebases long term? Probably not. They sure didn't with AP1 vs AP2.

Do you guys think/know that as Tesla continues to improve their autonomous technology they will continue to release updates for AP (no FSD), or will AP more or less stay where it is now and the improvements be reserved for FSD and HW 3.0? Currently AP seems buggy in certain situations - failure to stop for stationary objects, sudden braking, excessive acceleration, unsafe on winding roads..etc. Wondering if AP can be expected to improve with time on existing hardware.
When you refer to “AP” I am not clear on what you are referring to. There are several hardware suite versions out there.

A few weeks ago Tesla revised the Auto Pilot option so that currently all cars come with a base version that includes TACC and Auto Steer, which is essentially just lane keeping (but is very useful!). So the base Auto Pilot will maintain a set speed and dynamically adjust for cars in front of you and will maintain position in a lane. It will not change lanes automatically or follow a nav route (on restricted access roads) or do Summon or Auto Park. Also, all cars come with standard safety features like Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)

I expect that Tesla will continue to refine TACC and Auto Steer but the improvements will be minor. AEB will certainly continue to improve as Tesla improves camera image recognition capability.

The FSDC option will continue to improve dramatically. Obviously that has to happen because right now the released version is only for use on restricted access roads, and even on those roads it has a ways to go before it achieves full autonomy.

All newly-built cars have the same hardware.
They will use the same software.
The difference is simply in enabled features.
AP is a limited subset of behaviors.

In these cars Autopilot should improve as all the software improves. Autopilot should get better at the "limited" things that it does.

Older cars will stagnate, however.