Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla cut prices on its Model Y in 2021 with three more factories open?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And thats were you are very wrong.
Tesla deliveries in Norway 2020 is only a few % of the total BEV deliveries. The competition is totally crushing Tesla here now. If this is already happening here it will also start happening elsewere soon.
There is just no way Tesla can compete with the big brands because they just dont have the capacity, Tesla building 2 new factories in 2021 is good, but to play in the big league they would need to make that into 20 new factories.

Norway is going on big government incentives to buy EVs. In the US no one would buy those mini cars.

Reactions: DanCar
Tesla deliveries in Norway 2020 is only a few % of the total BEV deliveries. The competition is totally crushing Tesla here now. If this is already happening here it will also start happening elsewere soon.
There is just no way Tesla can compete with the big brands because they just dont have the capacity, Tesla building 2 new factories in 2021 is good, but to play in the big league they would need to make that into 20 new factories.
In Norway: is it a possibility that the there is not enough model 3 this past quarter? ie. Demand exceeds supply?

M3 and MY are too big for european market. When tesla produce a smaller hatchback for european market, that’s when the competition will heat up.

i don’t think tesla is being crushed by other ev player, they are just in different segment.

On the top that, tesla sale in europe is still strong in its price and size segment.

M3 and MY are too big for european market. When tesla produce a smaller hatchback for european market, that’s when the competition will heat up.

i don’t think tesla is being crushed by other ev player, they are just in different segment.

On the top that, tesla sale in europe is still strong in its price and size segment.

They are not at all too big.
Perhaps for some people living in old cities in italy or something.
The S/X is "too big" because its too wide for parking spots but thats about it.

Reactions: DanCar
In Norway: is it a possibility that the there is not enough model 3 this past quarter? ie. Demand exceeds supply?

No. The wait to get a new Model 3 is quite short and has been all year.
They only do deliveries once a quarter here but you will definately get one on the next boat if you want one.

Q4 was pretty good here, but thats because they sweetened the deal quite a lot. 0.25% interest loans, lower price, minor improvements to the car.
The other quaters quite a few Teslas were delivered here in 2020, sales are definately dropping and they are dropping fast.

A lot of people here are just tired of the quality issues, the service bullshit and also a lot of people just dont want a Tesla. They want the same brand of car they have always been buying like VW, Audi, BMW and so on.

Another pretty big reason is that the Model 3 is too small if you have a family of young kids and a lot of people here want a bigger SUV type of car. The Model X is big enough but that car has issues and its been the same car for 5(?) years now so thats just boring.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
This is the same weak FUD that's been peddled for years.

Sooooo Tesla bankwupt in 2021?
The other OEMs are just getting warmed up and are totally going to crush Tesla, right? Right?

This is the same weak FUD that's been peddled for years.

Sooooo Tesla bankwupt in 2021?
The other OEMs are just getting warmed up and are totally going to crush Tesla, right? Right?

Tesla is doing fine, they will not go bankcrupt in 2021.
They are done warming up, they are already doing better(collectively) than Tesla.
In the start Tesla had almost all EV sales globally, now others are also selling so Tesla only sells what, 15%? or so of EV sales in for example Europe.
Others are ramping up so much faster then Tesla so 2021 Tesla sales might only be 5% of total.. then what, 2% next year?
Its just going to go down because Tesla simpy does not increase output fast enough.

Tesla sales will still go up and they will probably do fine as a smaller company, but even if they get to 1M.. 2M cars in a few years thats still just a drop of sand in the ocean.

Well, there are a LOT more BEV's available to Europeans than in the US. VW has 2, ID.3 and ID.4, Renault Zoe, MG ZS and others from SEAT, Opel, etc. In addition to almost everything that's available here. Some of these (like the VW's and Zoe) are brand new or significantly updated, and may be more the size that many Europeans prefer. So it's understandable that Tesla's sales may be impacted. The good news (for Tesla) is that they've only scratched the surface of markets like China and India, so there is plenty of growth available for them.

The Audi E-tron is a mini car? Its certainly a lot bigger than the Tesla Model 3 and that seems to sell well in usa.

E-tron looks nice. In the U.S. you will have some difficulty with it as your only car due to their L3 network being weaker, but most families here have at least 2 cars so that's fine.

It remains to be seen if these extra EV cars have any impact on Tesla sales at all. BEV is still less than 1% of worldwide sales. Is it possible that the purchasers of the E-Tron:
a) were never Tesla customers
b) never considered purchasing a Tesla
c) never owned an EV
d) previously owned an Audi
e) will now consider a Tesla for their next car
f) will encourage others to "go electric"

That's the theory by Elon Musk, and I think its got a lot of plausibility. Everyone said that Apple would be destroyed by cheap alternatives, but they ended up with a nice 40% market share in U.S. and 13% globally. I read an article the other day that they are taking in 80% of the worldwide profit on smartphones, meaning that many of the Android producers lost money. They also didn't lower their prices, though they have gone up and down.

Norway is a different market. Almost no high speed highways from what I understand and most trips are much shorter distances than in the US. So a smaller car with shorter range will do. When Tesla comes out with their $25k car, they will clean up in Europe. Most people wouldn't ever drive a Zoe in the US. Different markets.

How much profit have these other OEMs been making? Tesla had a slide during battery day that showed every other manufacturer lost money last year.

Tesla is doing fine, they will not go bankcrupt in 2021.
They are done warming up, they are already doing better(collectively) than Tesla.

Tesla sells virtually everything that they build and they're building as fast as possible. Tesla is essentially in a race with itself.

BEV total addressable market (TAM) is expanding. Tesla is helping expand that TAM and taking a significant portion.
Gasser TAM is shrinking. OEMs are absorbing significant losses and that's not going to help with their transition to BEVs.

In the start Tesla had almost all EV sales globally, now others are also selling so Tesla only sells what, 15%? or so of EV sales in for example Europe.
Others are ramping up so much faster then Tesla so 2021 Tesla sales might only be 5% of total.. then what, 2% next year?
Its just going to go down because Tesla simpy does not increase output fast enough.

Tesla sales will still go up and they will probably do fine as a smaller company, but even if they get to 1M.. 2M cars in a few years thats still just a drop of sand in the ocean.

No. The wait to get a new Model 3 is quite short and has been all year.
They only do deliveries once a quarter here but you will definately get one on the next boat if you want one.

Q4 was pretty good here, but thats because they sweetened the deal quite a lot. 0.25% interest loans, lower price, minor improvements to the car.
The other quaters quite a few Teslas were delivered here in 2020, sales are definately dropping and they are dropping fast.

A lot of people here are just tired of the quality issues, the service bullshit and also a lot of people just dont want a Tesla. They want the same brand of car they have always been buying like VW, Audi, BMW and so on.

Another pretty big reason is that the Model 3 is too small if you have a family of young kids and a lot of people here want a bigger SUV type of car. The Model X is big enough but that car has issues and its been the same car for 5(?) years now so thats just boring.
Do you think once Giga Berlin Model Y ramps up and fully released, it won't sell as well in Norway vs. let's say the VAG trio (Enyaq, ID4,and Q4 Etron)? My opinion only: the VAG trio might be cheaper, but the performance and brand recognition is better with the Model Y.
-I didn't know Tesla Norway lowered the price and had those 0.25% loans.

Norway is a different market. Almost no high speed highways from what I understand and most trips are much shorter distances than in the US. So a smaller car with shorter range will do. When Tesla comes out with their $25k car, they will clean up in Europe. Most people wouldn't ever drive a Zoe in the US. Different markets.

Guess I was wrong. Model 3 was the highest selling EV car in Norway in December and for all of 2020.

Its all about customer service and Service department.
Buyers will not buy vehicle with only one service center in city with 4 million people.
Tesla continue with their lies, they promised new service center will be built every week now, but we can see its not true.
And Tesla will never be successful in Europe, they can play bad service game only in US, europeans dont care about stock,Space X or fart mode

• Disagree
Reactions: DanDi58
Guess I was wrong. Model 3 was the highest selling EV car in Norway in December and for all of 2020.

Could you link where you found this data? curious to see numbers. I was able to see these two data points:

1. Shows some interesting numbers at the bottom of the article. It lists the numbers of Tesla vehicles sold (it gives two numbers, one is number of model 3's, and the second is total Teslas) against VW ID3 and Audi e-tron. It seems like Audi sold more etron in November than Tesla did.
Tesla Sales Have Fallen Off A Cliff In Europe’s “Greenest” Car Markets In 2020

2. Here's some data from 2019 showing raw numbers of registrations in Norway by brand.
Norway: best selling car brands 2019 | Statista

Could you link where you found this data? curious to see numbers. I was able to see these two data points:

1. Shows some interesting numbers at the bottom of the article. It lists the numbers of Tesla vehicles sold (it gives two numbers, one is number of model 3's, and the second is total Teslas) against VW ID3 and Audi e-tron. It seems like Audi sold more etron in November than Tesla did.
Tesla Sales Have Fallen Off A Cliff In Europe’s “Greenest” Car Markets In 2020

2. Here's some data from 2019 showing raw numbers of registrations in Norway by brand.
Norway: best selling car brands 2019 | Statista
Tesla reigns as #2 EV maker in Norway as EVs overtake gas cars in market share

Norway: Massive EV Sales Record In December, Tesla Model 3 Beats VW ID.3

BTW, my first post was incorrect. Highest selling EV is the etron for all of 2020.

Reactions: tomagucci
Oh crap... You're a troll and I totally bit on your bait. :mad:

I wonder when the epic burn of the century will be finished and what the tally will be. $38B in losses last year. Another $1B or so after two trading days in 2021.

Its all about customer service and Service department.
Buyers will not buy vehicle with only one service center in city with 4 million people.
Tesla continue with their lies, they promised new service center will be built every week now, but we can see its not true.
And Tesla will never be successful in Europe, they can play bad service game only in US, europeans dont care about stock,Space X or fart mode