TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Will tesla discontinued S 60

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mrtian97, Oct 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mrtian97

mrtian97 Member

Looking at how they stop offering X60, do you think Tesla will do the same to the S60?
    I am waiting until my lease expire (next summer) before I can get the Model S, and looking at the basic S 60 to save on cost but would like to get the $7500 credit.

Thanks

2. TSLATed

TSLATed Member

Anything's possible, but I suspect it will stay around for the foreseeable future. The S60 is a good fit (in terms of price) for customers interested in M3 but don't want to wait until 2018. Base price for S60 is currently $66k - $1k referral credit = $65k, so after the federal tax credit the cost comes down to just $57.5k. In all likelihood, a nicely equipped M3 will be at least $57.5k, so I suspect several M3 reservation holders may opt to purchase the S60, especially if the M3 delivery timeline is slower than expected.

3. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

I'm worried also. I am holding out for the ventilated seats to become available in the 60 - but by then they might not even have the 60.

4. mrtian97

mrtian97 Member

I am one of those holder of M3 reservation, have the same thought of going with Model S instead, mainly I need larger car than Model 3.
    If I buy the Model S, most likely my reservation for Model 3 will move up, should I also buy and sell the Model 3 or just don't get the Model 3?

5. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

I hope not. I have a reservation for a 3 but if I'm not too thrilled with the final features/options/price I would consider a S60D.

6. Hrhkee

Hrhkee Doing research. Brb

I went the other way...Bird in the hand. I purchased a Model S60D while holding on to my model 3 reservation. Logic being, I'll compare and sell my S60D if the model 3 is nicer. If not I plant to sell my model 3 to the highest bidder and keep my S60. Smart? No?

7. luckyj

luckyj Member

Looking at the Model S Order sheet....the 60 and 60D seem to total around 50% of orders for the past two quarters. Based on that...seems unlikely they'd be discontinued unless the pricing structure changes. Unless that sheet is way off.

8. nuixy

nuixy Member

It's your lucky day. The ventilated seats just dropped in the S60 today

• Like x 1
  9. cmd_keen

cmd_keen Member

The one reason why I won't drive my wife's S is now resolved... we might just have to upgrade due to this one feature.

10. JRMW

JRMW Member

I wouldn't be surprised if they discontinue the S60 when the model 3 is up and running

They will want to have price differentiation between their products.

X is luxury CUV
    S is luxury sedan/liftback
    3 will be entry model

Don't want too many model 3 costing more than a model S.

I think they brought back the 60D for 2 reasons
    1. to convert model 3 reservation holders into buyers today (this worked marvelously, I am one of many who did this )
    2. because there isn't much room for growth if all of their offerings are $100k. they need to keep Wall Street happy until the model 3 launches. they would not make their numbers without the 60.

11. George Jetson

George Jetson Member

Of course. This was a shrewd marketing move. Your figures above from October now have to be revised for the post-November MS60 price increase (+$2,000). Still, lots of little nudges from Tesla (enhanced AP roll-out, price increase, unlimited supercharging, Model 3 delay rumors) were just enough to push that upper-middle class demographic over the edge from an M3 to an MS. I waited and waited and waited until I thought, "well this is it".

In retrospect I should have pulled the trigger a little earlier before the pano roof $ increase, but if I look at it now, a similarly equipped MS60 to the one I'm taking delivery on would be $2500 more than I paid. ;)

12. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Seems like they would only drop the S60 when they are able to sell a higher ranged Model S for under $70K. The S60/60D could be offered until they switch over to the new 2170 batteries and bring the price down for the S75 enough to justify dropping the S60.

With the Model 3 coming out starting at $35K (likely $55-60K fully loaded), a Model S in the $60K range should still be a useful price point to hit for their "bare" full-size cars.