Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla do a press conference or a media event for the Alphbuild?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for posting this. 30+ bolts? How can a battery swap be done in 1 minute?

I do lots of work on my vehicles; but would not attempt a battery swap. The pack weight is enough to flatten a person. At least this bodes well for battery pack anti-theft protection. :biggrin:

The biggest worry I'd have with a swappable-pack isn't theft of the pack itself (due to the weight) but the theft of the bolts holding the pack in place as a way to cause mischief.

The biggest worry I'd have with a swappable-pack isn't theft of the pack itself (due to the weight) but the theft of the bolts holding the pack in place as a way to cause mischief.

Jacking up a car to take bolts out(assuming the car doesn't have a 4x4 stance) is a lot of work to go through to cause mischief. Lug nuts would be much easier and quicker.

Jacking up a car to take bolts out(assuming the car doesn't have a 4x4 stance) is a lot of work to go through to cause mischief. Lug nuts would be much easier and quicker.

taking it further, it's not like you can't pop the hood of a conventional ICE and pop out the battery or any number of other things.

Any updates on the alpha build release? Two weeks before NAIAS is open to the public.

I see on the NAIAS site that the show is on the following dates:

January 10-11: Press Preview
January 12-13: Industry Preview
January 14: Charity Preview
January 15-23: Public Show

Does this mean that we'll be getting info on the Model S on January 10th (since that's when the press is there), or on January 15th (since that's when it's public)?

Does anyone know?

According to this thread the Model S might make an even earlier appearance at CES (which begins on the 6th).

From the press release:
"CES 2011 attendees will be able to view the Model S outside the Las Vegas Convention Center in the Central Plaza, booth # CP7."

Considering it'll be showing off an upgraded infotainment / navigation system, I wonder if it'll be the alpha build...

Last edited:
According to this thread the Model S might make an even earlier appearance at CES (which begins on the 6th).

From the press release:
"CES 2011 attendees will be able to view the Model S outside the Las Vegas Convention Center in the Central Plaza, booth # CP7."

Considering it'll be showing off an upgraded infotainment / navigation system, I wonder if it'll be the alpha build...

I assumed it was going to be the Alpha build. The prototype had a navigation system but IIRC it wasnt working and was mostly for looks only, no function. They said they were going to be finished with the alpha build at the end of 2010 so I would think they're going to start making the rounds of big shows. First the CES and then the Detroit auto show.

They may not show "Alpha build" until Detroit.

I think CES may have the familiar early (red) prototype with updated screen hardware.

http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/01/checking-in-from-ces-2011-in-las-vegas/
At CES:
tesla-in-person.jpg

tesla-in-person-charging.jpg