TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Will Tesla do a press conference or a media event for the Alphbuild?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Fr23shjive, Dec 20, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Thanks for setting me straight. I also see he has a Model S Alpha build t-shirt.

2. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

The biggest worry I'd have with a swappable-pack isn't theft of the pack itself (due to the weight) but the theft of the bolts holding the pack in place as a way to cause mischief.

3. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

Jacking up a car to take bolts out(assuming the car doesn't have a 4x4 stance) is a lot of work to go through to cause mischief. Lug nuts would be much easier and quicker.

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

taking it further, it's not like you can't pop the hood of a conventional ICE and pop out the battery or any number of other things.

5. JRod0802

JRod0802 Member

I see on the NAIAS site that the show is on the following dates:

January 10-11: Press Preview
    January 12-13: Industry Preview
    January 14: Charity Preview
    January 15-23: Public Show

Does this mean that we'll be getting info on the Model S on January 10th (since that's when the press is there), or on January 15th (since that's when it's public)?

Does anyone know?

6. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

Hopefully on the 10th.

7. JRod0802

JRod0802 Member

#27 JRod0802, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
    According to this thread the Model S might make an even earlier appearance at CES (which begins on the 6th).

From the press release:
    "CES 2011 attendees will be able to view the Model S outside the Las Vegas Convention Center in the Central Plaza, booth # CP7."

Considering it'll be showing off an upgraded infotainment / navigation system, I wonder if it'll be the alpha build...

8. Fr23shjive

Fr23shjive Member

I assumed it was going to be the Alpha build. The prototype had a navigation system but IIRC it wasnt working and was mostly for looks only, no function. They said they were going to be finished with the alpha build at the end of 2010 so I would think they're going to start making the rounds of big shows. First the CES and then the Detroit auto show.

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

10. JRod0802

JRod0802 Member

I looked a little more at the NAIAS site, and found the date/time of the Tesla Press Conference.

From the Article:
    Monday, January 10, 2011
    3:30-3:55 pm MINI
    4:05-4:30 pm Tesla
    4:35-5:00 pm Jeep

11. JRod0802

JRod0802 Member

In case there was any doubt, this link confirms that the alpha build will be at the Detroit Auto Show.

From the Article:
    Elon Musk’s upstart automaker rolls into the Detroit auto show with an “alpha build” of the Model S sedan.