TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Will Tesla ever allow SR+ owners to upgrade to Premium Audio?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by badiban, Jan 3, 2020.

1. badiban

badiban Member

I love my M3 SR+, but the stock audio system is pretty underwhelming (lack of bass is most noticeable). I'm not even sure that turning on the "Immersive Sound" does anything since the tweeters are not wired up.

I'd be willing to pay $2,500 just to get the audio upgraded from Tesla. I'm worried about messing with the system myself or letting a shop do it because Teslas are not typical cars. I'm thinking it may be a possibility since they removed HomeLink but allow you to purchase as a separate upgrade, but I don't have my hopes very high. What are everyone's thoughts?

• Like x 1
  2. Kevy Baby

Kevy Baby Dis-Member

Don't give that money to Tesla: you can get something MUCH better from the guys at Reus Audio. While they are CA based, Cliff travels all the time.

3. badiban

badiban Member

I'd definitely be interested in the Reus Audio upgrade. I am in Texas, so unfortunately I'd have to wait for a group buy.

I notice you had the Level 2.5 system installed. Do you mind sharing what the process was like, how much money it cost, and if you're happy with the upgrade?

4. Kevy Baby

Kevy Baby Dis-Member

I don't know if there would be a group buy on that - just reach out to them and see if they have anything planned for your neck of the woods.

Process was fairly straightforward - did all my research, read lots of reviews and was mostly convinced before I even called them. Since I am local, I was able to stop by and talk with Rick for a while. He demo'd the drivers they designed for the Tesla (they aren't off-the-shelf) and went over some of the technical stuff which I was interested in. We then went and heard a car and I was convinced. The hardest part was waiting for my installation, and it was only a few days.

The actual installation took one day: dropped my car off with them in the morning and they gave me a ride to my office. A coworker lives nearby, so he gave me a ride at the end of the day to pick up my car.

They used my car as a demo at a recent show and we discovered a rattle so I need to bring it in for them to correct. It's nothing I hear when in the car, but you can hear it outside the car.

And I could not be any happier with my purchase. It is simply astounding. Super clear yet powerful enough to shake your insides if needed without even sounding loud. It is a joy to listen to music on the system.

• Like x 1
  5. 640k

640k Member

i'm not aware of many OEMs that will allow you to come in and purchase a better audio system after the fact. most of the time they tell you you're SOL and recommend aftermarket anyway.

as much as i would like the "easy path", these threads are plentiful and there are great resources on how to DIY.