Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla ever do LIDAR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did I misunderstand @Bladerskb ? I thought he said that the no lidar announcement was related to ProPilot 2 and the FSD cars would use LIDAR per the marketing info.

this is what he said:
"So much for Tesla being 3+ years ahead."

in my understanding this means that "Tesla is X years ahead of others" where X < 3+

while you said: "he tried to claim that Tesla is years behind"

Reactions: Bladerskb
so after November 13th, 2018 (end of CA Disengagement reportable date, less than 6 months ago). They all of a sudden decided to drop Lidar? did they also pull their DeNa robot taxi test fleets picking up passengers from japan?
The logic some of you tesla fans employ is absolutely amazing. Facts don't matter to you people, Tesla continues to be the breeding ground of every myths.

The only one propagating myths here is you. You attempted to pass off a slick advertising video using actors acting like customers for a mythical service planned for some unannounced future date in 2020 and claim LIDAR is already being used by Nissan to pick up actual customers autonomously! Really? Based on a marketing video for a planned service at some nebulous later date? And then you used that claim to disparage those who had the correct info!

It doesn't matter whether this is a purposeful misrepresentation of the facts or a complete lack of ability to separate slick marketing from reality, the unavoidable result is a complete and total lack of credibility. It looks ridiculous when you claim others are "breeding myths".

2) Yesterday, Tetsuya Iijima, general manager of advanced technology development for automated driving at Nissan said, "At the moment, lidar lacks the capabilities to exceed the capabilities of the latest technology in radar and cameras, it would be fantastic if lidar technology was at the level that we could use it in our systems, but it's not."

3) Vaporware is "tested" all the time. The Nissan video was from 2017, Nissan has learned a lot since then about the limitations of LIDAR.

4) I think Nissan's General Manager of advanced technology development for automated driving knows what the capabilities of LIDAR are by now. He is the one who made the above quote and the same man in charge of Nissan's autonomy program.

Yes, I know they were made in the context of rolling out ProPilot version 2.0 (not full autonomy). If you are going to take exception and belittle my knowledge, please be more specific as to what you are taking exception to.

You and the Musk media took a comment out of context and ran with it yet you don't want to be called out for it?

No, Nissan's Position On Lidar Is Not The Same As Elon Musk's

Ummm....You are trying to "call out" someone by quoting an article by Edward Niedermeyer, the author of the short-sellers blog "Tesla Death Watch" from back in 2010?

I'm beyond speechless.

It is worth noting that there are a lot of legacy auto makers, and short sellers that are heavily invested in LIDAR as a solution to FSD. Billions of dollars are at stake. So they have very strong business interests in wanting to see Tesla fail.

• Informative
Reactions: StealthP3D
It is worth noting that there are a lot of legacy auto makers, and short sellers that are heavily invested in LIDAR as a solution to FSD. Billions of dollars are at stake. So they have very strong business interests in wanting to see Tesla fail.

And obviously, some of them are implanted right here at TeslaMotorsClub.com. I could understand this if they were all Chinese, Russian or Iranian, but many of them appear to be Americans. These are the same people who were rooting for America's answer to the Toyota Prius, the Chevy Volt, to fail. People like Rush Limbaugh endlessly derided Chevy's answer to the Prius and now have turned their attention to America's latest answer to the decline of the American auto industry, Tesla. They want Tesla to fail. It's so un-American I don't know how these people can live with themselves.

Reactions: diplomat33

Ummm....You are trying to "call out" someone by quoting an article by Edward Niedermeyer, the author of the short-sellers blog "Tesla Death Watch" from back in 2010?

I'm beyond speechless.

This is why Tesla fans are the worst fanbase of anything of ALL TIMES. You people don't care about facts, you absolutely hate it.

"speaking with The Drive, Nissan spokesman Nicholas Maxfield confirmed that Nakaguro and Iijima's comments were referring to ProPILOT 2.0 and similar limited-domain automated driving systems that can be marketed on private sale cars today, rather than a blanket disparagement of lidar technology for all future automated driving systems. Nissan has not ruled out the use of lidar for any fully autonomous shared vehicles the company may be developing, he said."

This is why Tesla fans are the worst fanbase of anything of ALL TIMES. You people don't care about facts, you absolutely hate it.

"speaking with The Drive, Nissan spokesman Nicholas Maxfield confirmed that Nakaguro and Iijima's comments were referring to ProPILOT 2.0 and similar limited-domain automated driving systems that can be marketed on private sale cars today, rather than a blanket disparagement of lidar technology for all future automated driving systems. Nissan has not ruled out the use of lidar for any fully autonomous shared vehicles the company may be developing, he said."

Again with the blanket personal attacks against all Tesla fans!!! It is false and uncalled for. Stop it!! :mad:

I posted the facts. See below where I posted twice about how ProPilot 2 won't use LIDAR but Nissan will use LIDAR for their fully autonomous vehicles:

So Nissan will not use LIDAR for ProPilot 2 but does plan to use LIDAR for their L4 autonomous cars. Makes sense. No need to launch personal attacks against Tesla and all Tesla fans. Generalizing to an entire group is bad, ya know.

Did I misunderstand @Bladerskb ? I thought he said that the no lidar announcement was related to ProPilot 2 and the FSD cars would use LIDAR per the marketing info.

Last edited:
Again with the blanket personal attacks against all Tesla fans!!! It is false and uncalled for. Stop it!! :mad:

I posted the facts. See below where I posted twice about how ProPilot 2 won't use LIDAR but Nissan will use LIDAR for their fully autonomous vehicles:

I was referring to the response to the article. No matter how yoiu feel about an author. You actually have to read the article and look at the facts in them. The disparaging remarks by @StealthP3D is par for course of what most tesla fans do when faced with opposing evidence/facts, they attack the author and say stuff about "ICE", "BIG OIL", "CONSPIRACY"

I was referring to the response to the article. No matter how yoiu feel about an author. You actually have to read the article and look at the facts in them. The disparaging remarks by @StealthP3D is par for course of what most tesla fans do when faced with opposing evidence/facts, they attack the author and say stuff about "ICE", "BIG OIL", "CONSPIRACY"

And I showed that I did read the article and did represent the facts correctly. I posted twice that Nissan is using LIDAR for their FSD vehicles and the "no lidar" is only for ProPilot2. You are deliberately ignoring my previous posts that were correct!

Are you denying there is a concerted effort by many interests to make Tesla fail? By spreading negativity, lies and deception? When these kind of disgusting people congregate in order to act in concert and time their attacks for maximum effect, well, that's the definition of a conspiracy.

But rather than attack me for pointing out these things, why don't you address your misleading information in this thread? Specifically, your contention that Nissan's autonomous taxi is currently up and running, picking up real passengers in Japan? The only evidence you posted of this was some actors pretending to be real passengers.

Are you denying there is a concerted effort by many interests to make Tesla fail? By spreading negativity, lies and deception? When these kind of disgusting people congregate in order to act in concert and time their attacks for maximum effect, well, that's the definition of a conspiracy.

But rather than attack me for pointing out these things, why don't you address your misleading information in this thread? Specifically, your contention that Nissan's autonomous taxi is currently up and running, picking up real passengers in Japan? The only evidence you posted of this was some actors pretending to be real passengers.

This short seller thing is a myth. First of all, Elon makes so many mistakes as a CEO that if there is any short seller wanting to push down the prices, they don't need to lie. Just tell the truth.

And maybe you can find lies from random people here or there, but that's not the majority. And Tesla/Elon lies too.

Tesla became a large company with no reliable profit. This makes the stock price volatile, and therefore it became a trading vehicle instead of an investing stock. So tons of people jump on the waves up or down. The people who shorted yesterday are long tomorrow.

This short seller thing is a myth. First of all, Elon makes so many mistakes as a CEO that if there is any short seller wanting to push down the prices, they don't need to lie. Just tell the truth.

And maybe you can find lies from random people here or there, but that's not the majority. And Tesla/Elon lies too.

Tesla became a large company with no reliable profit. This makes the stock price volatile, and therefore it became a trading vehicle instead of an investing stock. So tons of people jump on the waves up or down. The people who shorted yesterday are long tomorrow.

I'm not talking about normal short-sellers, if you think the stock is going down, go ahead and short it, I've no problem with that.

It's the people who short the stock and then run around spreading misinformation, lies and bogus stories in an attempt to actively try to discourage sales or cost Tesla money in other ways to increase the chances that their bet against the company will pay off.

And the misinformation and unfounded negativity is not only from short-sellers, it is drummed up by people who feel EV's threaten their livelihood, their investments or who simply don't want America to lead the EV revolution. China is trying hard to be the technological leader in EV's and their place in the industry would be much more secure without Tesla leading the way.

Can Tesla lead the way without using LIDAR? That remains to be seen but I have seen a lot of autonomy experts who have been actively working on autonomy take steps away from LIDAR in recent years and months. People are beginning to realize LIDAR is not the holy grail of autonomy that many experts assumed.

I'm not talking about normal short-sellers, if you think the stock is going down, go ahead and short it, I've no problem with that.

It's the people who short the stock and then run around spreading misinformation, lies and bogus stories in an attempt to actively try to discourage sales or cost Tesla money in other ways to increase the chances that their bet against the company will pay off.

And the misinformation and unfounded negativity is not only from short-sellers, it is drummed up by people who feel EV's threaten their livelihood, their investments or who simply don't want America to lead the EV revolution. China is trying hard to be the technological leader in EV's and their place in the industry would be much more secure without Tesla leading the way.

Can Tesla lead the way without using LIDAR? That remains to be seen but I have seen a lot of autonomy experts who have been actively working on autonomy take steps away from LIDAR in recent years and months. People are beginning to realize LIDAR is not the holy grail of autonomy that many experts assumed.

I'm thinking the lovers/haters club is coming from the fact that the company's CEO is very active on the social media, he is the face of the company and makes bold statements. This itself divides people into 2 groups. And what makes a team stronger is a strong enemy. So both sides became very active amplifying each other.

I'm thinking the lovers/haters club is coming from the fact that the company's CEO is very active on the social media, he is the face of the company and makes bold statements. This itself divides people into 2 groups. And what makes a team stronger is a strong enemy. So both sides became very active amplifying each other.

That probably explains part of it.

I like to focus on the products, not the CEO. And the product started out amazing (our first Model 3) and just keeps getting better! I love the raw performance of the P3D and the constant improvements with the over-the-air updates. That's what made me a fan, the functionality and quality of their products.