Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla give me ANY trade-in on my junker?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car died today. Dead. Dead. Alternator and other issues. I read somewhere that when trading in with Tesla they seem to care more about the model, year, mileage and tire condition than if the thing really runs - that they pretty much haul it away on a flatbed.

While I don't want a dead car in my driveway if I could get $500 in trade-in come my M3 purchase in Aug-Oct I would be wiling to do that.

Anyone had any luck with trading in a car that is dead or has real problems? My guess is it would be used for parts no matter what.

My car died today. Dead. Dead. Alternator and other issues. I read somewhere that when trading in with Tesla they seem to care more about the model, year, mileage and tire condition than if the thing really runs - that they pretty much haul it away on a flatbed.

While I don't want a dead car in my driveway if I could get $500 in trade-in come my M3 purchase in Aug-Oct I would be wiling to do that.

Anyone had any luck with trading in a car that is dead or has real problems? My guess is it would be used for parts no matter what.

I can't speak for Tesla but it is extremely unlikely that they would give you any value for a non-working older car.

Keep in mind that Tesla has no used car business which means pretty much everything they take in trade they need to take to auction and then try to turn a profit on. The profit on flat-bedding a car at their cost to a junk yard or auction is probably negative equity.

You're honestly better off just calling salvage yards in your area, and seeing what they will pay you to come take it away.

I traded in a 12 year old car once. When we were ordering the new car, they valued it by saying, "it starts, we'll give you $750 for it."

Few weeks later, drove 100 miles back to dealer to pickup new car. When I got there, I hopped out with car running and went inside and said, "where do you want me to leave my trade - out front or in back or somewhere else?"

'Just leave it wherever it is.'

Well, turns out that was lucky. Because when I went back out, the car had turned itself off, and I couldn't restart it. Totally dead. I just shut the door, walked inside,traded the keys for the new cars keys and told them to have a great day! Never heard anything from them. Maybe it's still parked out in front of the dealership.

I traded in a 12 year old car once. When we were ordering the new car, they valued it by saying, "it starts, we'll give you $750 for it."

Few weeks later, drove 100 miles back to dealer to pickup new car. When I got there, I hopped out with car running and went inside and said, "where do you want me to leave my trade - out front or in back or somewhere else?"

'Just leave it wherever it is.'

Well, turns out that was lucky. Because when I went back out, the car had turned itself off, and I couldn't restart it. Totally dead. I just shut the door, walked inside,traded the keys for the new cars keys and told them to have a great day! Never heard anything from them. Maybe it's still parked out in front of the dealership.

They dug a hole and buried it right there under the parking lot.o_O They were wishing that you were still in it.:) The salesman, it's rumored, is still in the trunk.:eek:

I was offered $500 for my 16 (or was it 18 ?) year old Subaru when I bought a Honda a few years ago. I don't remember why, but the salesman agreed to come out to our home and pick up the car. A couple hours later he called and politely asked why I had not mentioned that the check engine light was on. I felt a little sheepish telling him that it did not occur to me to mention because it had been going on and off for years, never caused any problem, and was somehow dealt with by our dealership whenever a smog check was needed.

After the call I realized that I may have put them in a bind when it came to resale.

You can try checking with damagedcars.com aka carbrain.com. I had a 2005 4Runner (200k+ miles) that was no longer running due to leaking head gasket. They gave me $1400 and sent a tow truck to my house to pick it up. The whole process was pretty smooth.

You guys both did better than what I got offered. Tesla offered me $800 for my 2004 Mit. Endeavor AWD, 188k miles, original owner, clean title. KBB had it valued at $4,500. I would have easily accepted $2,000. For $800, I would rather keep it as a second car.

You can try checking with damagedcars.com aka carbrain.com. I had a 2005 4Runner (200k+ miles) that was no longer running due to leaking head gasket. They gave me $1400 and sent a tow truck to my house to pick it up. The whole process was pretty smooth.

Traded Tesla a 2009 VW Passat with 110K miles and a check-engine light on. They gave me $1500 (which was on the low end of the KBB value) so I took it.