Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla have a SUV version of the Truck platform?

Will Tesla make a SUV version of the pickup truck from day one?

• Yes

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • No

Votes: 58 73.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they will show 3 or more versions like Rivian. Tesla is about to loose that segment to them if they don't have something quick. Showing the variants (including SUV) will undermine Rivian even if Tesla only starts with one initially. Those couple more prototypes are worth it just to crush competitor dreams. Ford can expect that rivalry too.

You could be right about showing an SUV and there is some logic to showing both at once (and maybe other variants too).

They may even start producing an SUV at the same time as the pickup but I doubt it since it is easier to get to high volumes first with the pickup and then introduce a variation (like the SUV) and then maybe other variations (different pickup and SUV sizes).

Either way I don't think there is much risk of losing the pickup/truck-based SUV segment to Rivian given its pricing and other factors, although I do hope Rivian is able to get a decent number of sales since we need more EV companies to enter the market.

Reactions: Rusty1
The cybertruck may introduce a new skateboard that can be used by the refreshed Model S/X or Roadster. Probably the same batteries as the Model 3, but with more area for the batteries. The 600 miles range of the Roadster would provide about 300 to a large truck. The Roadster will have two motors in back and that would provide vectoring and amazing performance for the truck. Even better would be two motors up front like the Rivian competition offers. At that point, put 4 motors in the Roadster too.

Interesting, I had the same theory too, that the platform will go under the S/X replacement and Roadster possibly. The SUV version of the truck will be easier to build than the present X, so I see it getting replaced. Which leaves the S and Roadster, which makes sense to use the platform. But do not know if its worth the certification R&D and tooling costs to move the S to the platform.

Always thought when EM stated the Plaid will be available next year, he meant ready to order, not produce.

02367f2bab2aad8911c8031fc1803dac17bc3262b16bdee02ffe79be471f74ac.jpg

If they released a SUV version like that, the Model X would be relegated to Taxi / Limo duty. Presuming three rows of seating with fold flat, I would put down a deposit today. Solar roof too please.

Business tax write-offs would make this a run away hit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Talguy
Cybertruck based SUV would not compete with Model X
1.They would look so dramatically different.
2. Model X is the luxury SUV like Cayenne. Cyber-SUV would more budget and compete against Armada or Suburban.

If they offered a SUV based on Cybertruck I would put down $1000 today.
Here is my poor attempt at a render.

Attachments

• cyertruck-SUV.jpg
    cyertruck-SUV.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 135
Reactions: Talguy and Reeler
Cybertruck based SUV would not compete with Model X
1.They would look so dramatically different.
2. Model X is the luxury SUV like Cayenne. Cyber-SUV would more budget and compete against Armada or Suburban.

If they offered a SUV based on Cybertruck I would put down $1000 today.
Here is my poor attempt at a render.

Nothing to stop Tesla from putting in a luxurious interior and making crazy profit margins on a still distinctive but easier to produce Cyber SUV.

Nothing to stop Tesla from putting in a luxurious interior and making crazy profit margins on a still distinctive but easier to produce Cyber SUV.

I agree that Tesla offering its first luxury interior is a good idea. Not my style, but many will expect that with Jag, Porsche, Audi all offering EVs with luxury included. I doubt it since the current CyberTruck is fake leather with a paper dash.

Well I guess I was wrong they came out with the SUV first. To me it sucks as a truck but is a great SUV as is. This fixes the issue I have with most SUV not having enough storage for the number of seats, however it isn't usable as a pickup for me.

Reactions: Reeler
Reactions: DanCar