Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla hold my delivery if I can’t pick it up right away?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, I’d like to order a Model 3 Performance. According to the Tesla website, the current delivery timeframe is 8-12 weeks.

If I’m out of town and unable to pick up my car, will Tesla hold it for around 2 weeks at the most? Should I wait until after my trip to place my order?

Reactions: TBrownTX
Hello everyone, I’d like to order a Model 3 Performance. According to the Tesla website, the current delivery timeframe is 8-12 weeks.

If I’m out of town and unable to pick up my car, will Tesla hold it for around 2 weeks at the most? Should I wait until after my trip to place my order?

That depends on Tesla's mood. They have the right to sell your car to another owner who is ready to take the delivery if you are busy.

I would not change my lifestyle or vacation schedule because of that. When you come back from vacation, you can get another one sometimes without a wait sometimes with a wait.

Reactions: theothertom

No, they generally will not hold a car for two weeks. They generally will only hold a car for a few days. if you are unavailable to pick up they will assign that car to someone else and put you back in the queue (not generally at the end of the line but back in the queue).

If you are worried that it will be delivered in the next two weeks, I wouldn't. It's unlikely you will get one in 2 weeks time. If you are saying that you won't be back in town for another 8-12 weeks, then that's a tougher call. It seems most cars are delivered near the end of the quarter and as others have said, a few days, yes, but if you can't pick up for several weeks, they will assign it to someone else that can.

When you place your order, there are 3 links showed to you just before you pay the deposit:

By placing this order, I agree to the Model 3 Order Agreement, Terms of Use, and Privacy Notice.

As per the terms you agreed to when you placed your order if you can't pickup within 3 (three) days of the proposed date, Tesla reserves the right to give to car to another customer. 2nd page 1st paragraph of the Model 3 Order Agreement. Given demand these days, I would either accept having to go back in queue or make sure I can be made available at the time of delivery. I personally plan to be away for a couple of weeks this summer and I am willing to gamble delivery being outside those dates or at worst going back in queue.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
I had to delay delivery, twice, because I was out of town both times. Tesla was really nice but I had to go to the back of the line, which I expected. But, low and behold, they found a car within a couple of weeks and i took it. They said I had a year to pick up a car before I lost my deposit. Overall I was 4 months delayed from my original pickup date.

Reactions: TenTwo
If all your paperwork is done electronically, I have heard of a case where someone "took delivery" of their Tesla remotely by accepting it in the app while away on travel and picking it up upon return. You need to be comfortable accepting it sight unseen though.

I got my car in a week from ordering becuase I probably stole someone’s order lol
Thats how We got our MY7, someone order, didnt pick up in their window and we snatch it without waiting 😂

Attachments

• AAC0B8E8-73C7-4DD3-B597-16360712AD5E.jpeg
    AAC0B8E8-73C7-4DD3-B597-16360712AD5E.jpeg
    546.5 KB · Views: 913
Is that the case for Texas? I had to buy my car, site unseen, before it even shipped. The conditions are different for states where Tesla cannot directly sell cars (like Texas), not sure the three day rule applies, and rejecting could be interesting.

Tim

Is that the case for Texas? I had to buy my car, site unseen, before it even shipped. The conditions are different for states where Tesla cannot directly sell cars (like Texas), not sure the three day rule applies, and rejecting could be interesting.

Tim

I dont think someone from texas (or other states where tesla cant sell vehicles legally) can actually "reject" a vehicle, since tesla doesnt have a return policy on their cars any longer. The way tesla "gets around" those laws is selling you a car in another state, and delivering it to you after you already own it.

I dont think someone from texas (or other states where tesla cant sell vehicles legally) can actually "reject" a vehicle, since tesla doesnt have a return policy on their cars any longer. The way tesla "gets around" those laws is selling you a car in another state, and delivering it to you after you already own it.

Thats my understanding as well, and would also mean they probably can’t sell it from under you if you don’t take delivery in three days. But who knows! Maybe someone from Texas who has tried either, or both, will chime in.

Tim

Thats my understanding as well, and would also mean they probably can’t sell it from under you if you don’t take delivery in three days. But who knows! Maybe someone from Texas who has tried either, or both, will chime in.

Tim

Not after you actually pay for it, but they probably dont let you pay until the they contact you for delivery.

Not after you actually pay for it, but they probably dont let you pay until the they contact you for delivery.

Actually I paid before arranging delivery, same day the car gated. I was told by the local SA that failing to pay and insure quickly would result in a delay in delivery. They had already applied for temp tags ahead of it actually arriving at the SC. Very strange process, but pretty easy, given I was able to accept delivery right away and had no reason to reject the car.

Tim

• Informative
Actually I paid before arranging delivery, same day the car gated. I was told by the local SA that failing to pay and insure quickly would result in a delay in delivery. They had already applied for temp tags ahead of it actually arriving at the SC. Very strange process, but pretty easy, given I was able to accept delivery right away and had no reason to reject the car.

Tim

Thanks for the additional clarity from someone in state there in TX. The process is really different in CA (and was even more different in 2018 than it is now.)

Thanks for the additional clarity from someone in state there in TX. The process is really different in CA (and was even more different in 2018 than it is now.)
Unfortunately it doesn’t directly answer the OPs question, but more information to ponder as he waits. 😉

Until recently Tesla used to handle registration for you in Texas, now it’s moved to self registration.

Tim

• Informative
Unfortunately it doesn’t directly answer the OPs question, but more information to ponder as he waits. 😉

Until recently Tesla used to handle registration for you in Texas, now it’s moved to self registration.

Tim
If the buyer is handling registration themselves, are the registration and tax fees paid directly by the buyer to the State of Texas or does Tesla collect the fees as part of the purchase process?

If the buyer is handling registration themselves, are the registration and tax fees paid directly by the buyer to the State of Texas or does Tesla collect the fees as part of the purchase process?
If a state where Tesla has no stores, it's the later. That's how you can buy from California tax free and then only pay your state's tax (if you can't buy in your state, technically you are buying from California state).

The registration and tax fees are paid directly by the buyer, at the county tax office. You bring all the necessary information (Tesla sends you a packet), hand them a check, and they hand you plates, a sticker, and they file for a Texas title.

Tim