Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla hold on to its SC network or sell to a consortium?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am only speaking about "imposed" legislation here, something Tesla would have no control over.
I just pray that it doesn't happen but as I mentioned, gov't intervention could kill free charges. I would say to not count on free Tesla charges forever even though the car maker implicitly says it will be free forever. If they had a choice, yes, it would be free but future governments could change that and I think that is a strong unwanted possibility!

Is this along the lines of the government is coming take our guns?

When we reach a point that 50% of the cars are electric (I hope I'm still alive for that) how will we continue to fund both the state and federal highway system without a "fuel" tax on the electrics? For California, state and federal taxes on a gallon of gas is $0.64, how much longer we will get a pass on these taxes?

Officer, we will see a road tax-equivalent on our BEVs long before the 50% threshold is attained. The public is starting to notice that we avoid any tax on our usage of the highways and roads. The method used to assess and collect our fair share is going to be up for debate for awhile until some sort of consensus approach is agreed-upon. Whether an annual tax at registration or a kWh assessment obtained from our cars' logs, or odometer readings at the DMV or any law enforcement agency, the states and feds will get their money.

The most difficult part of determining how much to assess is that many people drive out-of-state where the state and local taxes vary--sometimes substantially. It might be problematic to charge in-state taxes to someone who does 80% of his driving across state lines.

My pure out-and-out guess will be that we will see a road-tax equivalent assessment for us sometime towards the end of this decade--2019.

Officer, we will see a road tax-equivalent on our BEVs long before the 50% threshold is attained. The public is starting to notice that we avoid any tax on our usage of the highways and roads. The method used to assess and collect our fair share is going to be up for debate for awhile until some sort of consensus approach is agreed-upon.

I'm hoping for odometer reading at the time of required annual inspection. Both proportional to usage, and *simple*.