Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla inhibit remarketing of Powerwall 2 referral prizes?

Will Tesla inhibit remarketing of referral Powerwall 2 prizes?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, here's my lead: Will Tesla permit remarketing of referral Powerall 2 prizes?

So, hear me out here... I think that there's several valid reasons why Tesla might have controls which would inhibit or prevent Powerwall 2 referral prize winners from remarketing or transferring ownership of the Powerwall 2.

Here's the factors which make me think Tesla might inhibit the Founders Edition Powerwall 2 gray market:
-To date, Tesla is only distributing the Powerwalls through their authorized/trained installer network. I dont see them being available through retailers so that an 'off the street' electrician could install it. Given that, how would a third party recipient of a prize Powerwall be able to install the Powerwall?
-Given that the Powerwall functionality is closely tied to your My Tesla account and the Tesla app, how would a third party recipient complete the 'setup' of the Powerwall?
-Given that there's a pretty hefty accessorial cost (materials, Gateway), labor, shipping, and inspections that Tesla will probably subsidize with this prize, I dont see Tesla incentivized heavily to facilitate a gray market which would only serve to attrit their actual retail sales.
-This prize is fundamentally different from most of the prior prizes in that this prize directly competes with multiple Tesla / Solar City profit centers.

Emails about the Powerwall from the referral program have started to go out. This was posted on the Facebook forum I think last week.

Attachments

• screen-shot-2017-09-28-at-7-13-56-am.jpg
    screen-shot-2017-09-28-at-7-13-56-am.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 133
I haven't but I will install mine if the cost is reasonable.
What referral program did you earn your Powerwall in? Installation was included in the earlier referral program with the signed edition. Additional ones would probably only cost $100 or so extra.
Emails about the Powerwall from the referral program have started to go out. This was posted on the Facebook forum I think last week.
We got ours months ago. They are sent out once you have 4 deliveries (in the current program).
Is this the autographed version?
No.

It looks like installation is not included with the Founders Powerwall 2. I'm prepping a new post with my experience today

They called me today and said it includes a $1000 "install credit" which should cover most installs, unless you need to dig a trench or add a sub panel, then that's extra.

They are only allowing Solarcity crews to do the install. They told me I can't just get it delivered without the install.

Hank,

I can't find the post now, but I remember you writing that you had tentatively sold your PW2s and were waiting to hear from Tesla about transferability. What happened there? We were notified of winning one but my house already has a backup generator, and I really have no interest in solar because the roof is cedar shake, so I'd really want to sell mine on ebay if Tesla would allow the transfer.

After going back and forth on this with Tesla Energy, the PW2 referral awards are definitely NOT transferrable. Since they are treating this like any other solar/energy install, you will need to have a site survey done and sign documents for permits and such, so they'll only move forward with that if you are the owner of the property. They also are making sure that people are properly taxed (by sending out 1099s) for these awards.

Yes, I did sell three PW2 awards, and have had to refund those deposits sent to me to hold their places. I am now working with Tesla on options for me w/r/t the PW2 installs.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Yes, I did sell three PW2 awards, and have had to refund those deposits sent to me to hold their places. I am now working with Tesla on options for me w/r/t the PW2 installs.
Thanks for sharing this. There will be plenty of cases where someone earns a referral award but has already had Powerwalls installed or can't accommodate them (apartment living, etc.). Then again, if one owns multiple properties, it might not be too hard to use up multiple awards!

For some homeowners, perhaps Tesla might be willing to install solar panels as an alternative, or if you save up enough awards, maybe even a solar roof.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
After going back and forth on this with Tesla Energy, the PW2 referral awards are definitely NOT transferrable. Since they are treating this like any other solar/energy install, you will need to have a site survey done and sign documents for permits and such, so they'll only move forward with that if you are the owner of the property. They also are making sure that people are properly taxed (by sending out 1099s) for these awards.

Thanks for the info, Hank. It will be interesting to see if they come up with some referrer-friendly alternative here, as opposed to making the referrer just forgo the prize if they can't use it. I'd like to see them offer the dollar value, or a large fraction thereof, as a credit towards a future purchase from Tesla.