TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Will Tesla inhibit remarketing of Powerwall 2 referral prizes?

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by MajorCuddles, Sep 28, 2017.

?

Will Tesla inhibit remarketing of referral Powerwall 2 prizes?

1. No. Tesla will let me sell my referral prize to a third party and have it installed at their address

45.5%
  2. Partially. Tesla will send me the Founders Edition Powerwall 2 and Gateway. I'll ship it elsewhere

36.4%
  3. Yes. Tesla will inhibit this practice as a "Good Faith" violation of the terms and conditions

18.2%
  1. MajorCuddles

MajorCuddles Member

So, here's my lead: Will Tesla permit remarketing of referral Powerall 2 prizes?

So, hear me out here... I think that there's several valid reasons why Tesla might have controls which would inhibit or prevent Powerwall 2 referral prize winners from remarketing or transferring ownership of the Powerwall 2.

Here's the factors which make me think Tesla might inhibit the Founders Edition Powerwall 2 gray market:
    -To date, Tesla is only distributing the Powerwalls through their authorized/trained installer network. I dont see them being available through retailers so that an 'off the street' electrician could install it. Given that, how would a third party recipient of a prize Powerwall be able to install the Powerwall?
    -Given that the Powerwall functionality is closely tied to your My Tesla account and the Tesla app, how would a third party recipient complete the 'setup' of the Powerwall?
    -Given that there's a pretty hefty accessorial cost (materials, Gateway), labor, shipping, and inspections that Tesla will probably subsidize with this prize, I dont see Tesla incentivized heavily to facilitate a gray market which would only serve to attrit their actual retail sales.
    -This prize is fundamentally different from most of the prior prizes in that this prize directly competes with multiple Tesla / Solar City profit centers.

2. Ormond

Ormond Member

Has anyone received a referral Powerwall? Any clue when they will be distributed?

3. MajorCuddles

MajorCuddles Member

I haven’t yet :-/

4. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

I haven't but I will install mine if the cost is reasonable.

5. zanary

zanary Member

Emails about the Powerwall from the referral program have started to go out. This was posted on the Facebook forum I think last week.

Attached Files:

6. Ormond

Ormond Member

Is this the autographed version?

7. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.34 2448cfc

What referral program did you earn your Powerwall in? Installation was included in the earlier referral program with the signed edition. Additional ones would probably only cost $100 or so extra.
    We got ours months ago. They are sent out once you have 4 deliveries (in the current program).
    No.

8. Ormond

Ormond Member

I never received my autographed Founder Series Powerwall from the program ending Jan. 15, 2017. I wonder if anyone has. I don't recall seeing any photos of them.

9. zanary

zanary Member

Can you post a picture of it please?

10. DÆrik

DÆrik Member

No signatures on this one, but that's what it will look like.

tesla-red-founders-series-powerwall-2.jpg

11. dailo

dailo Member

Is installation included with the powerwall prize? I assume not since it would vary per customer.

12. MajorCuddles

MajorCuddles Member

It looks like installation is not included with the Founders Powerwall 2. I'm prepping a new post with my experience today

13. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

They called me today and said it includes a $1000 "install credit" which should cover most installs, unless you need to dig a trench or add a sub panel, then that's extra.

They are only allowing Solarcity crews to do the install. They told me I can't just get it delivered without the install.

• Informative x 2
  14. MajorCuddles

MajorCuddles Member

Great insight! Thanks for the heads up @HankLloydRight !