TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Will Tesla let you cancel if delivery is delayed beyond tax credit?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SoCalGuy, Jun 26, 2018.

1. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

So my configurator is fully unlocked and I'm trying to decide which configuration I want to order. Here's my question: if I decide to go for AWD or P, with their estimated delivery windows of 3-5 months and 2-4 months respectively, AND Tesla delays delivery to say 6 months (eg into January 2019) when the tax credit is halved, do you think they will let me cancel or downgrade my spec (since effectively the car would have become $3750 more expensive)?

• Funny x 2
  2. dethman

dethman Member

Tesla makes no guarantees at all about delivery times or whether you will get the tax credit. Everything is an 'estimate.'

You will be locked into your order but can always cancel if you are willing to forfeit your deposit.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  3. BOBEDIGITL

BOBEDIGITL Member

I highly doubt it...the cost for them doesn’t change. If you’re counting on the tax credit, I might consider going for something within your budget. As we all know, delays can and will happen, tonight is another example. Good luck to you!

4. EricUSC

EricUSC Member

If I order a fully loaded AWD w/ 3-5 months delivery estimate by June 30 (to get free data), and Tesla ends up delivering their 200,000th car in June rather than July, do you guys think Tesla would let me switch to a no-option Performance Model 3 w/ 2-4 months delivery estimate as a courtesy w/o charging the change fee?

I think there will be lots of unhappy people if Tesla doesn't push out the 200,000th US delivery to early July.

5. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

All signs point to them delaying that 200K car to July but you'll know for sure when they have the Q2 financial call.