Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla offer suspension upgrade ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our March 2021 LR7 has IMO too stiff and too short suspension movements over sharp bumps but the car still bounces up and down pretty good after any bump. My interpretation is that the dampers are soft and the springs too stiff. Or maybe the dampers are borderline rock hard and it is only the mounts and bushings that are springing and bouncing? Does anybody know?

If it is in fact just the springs that are too stiff I was thinking of just ordering the newest revision springs. Here is the list from the parts catalogue:
1672776282414.png

1672776058714.png

Not sure, depends on when your MY22 LR was built. After mid October it has a softer suspension. If before that date, hands down yes. And in either case, the Ohlins handles a lot better too (e.g. can feel the exact limit of the tires, on the stock suspension, the car was just bouncing around and handled truly horribly)
Thanks for the valuable input. Mine was built in August 1st week from Fremont.

Finally got to ride on the new "comfort" suspension and it felt worse than my 21 MYLR. It cut down the harshness a bit; however, it was so bouncy/floaty. There's a disconnect between the car and the road.

I would not upgrade to the new suspension even it was free.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Noflash
Finally got to ride on the new "comfort" suspension and it felt worse than my 21 MYLR. It cut down the harshness a bit; however, it was so bouncy/floaty. There's a disconnect between the car and the road.

I would not upgrade to the new suspension even it was free.
Tesla OEM suspension on the MY is really quite horrible. The Ohlins DFV GT make the MY a decent car to drive. Not like my SQ5 or Macan, but definitely livable and handles fine, and with 10x improved comfort.

Tesla OEM suspension on the MY is really quite horrible. The Ohlins DFV GT make the MY a decent car to drive. Not like my SQ5 or Macan, but definitely livable and handles fine, and with 10x improved comfort.
The 21 suspension is horrible but the new "comfort" suspension is even worse! I don't think most folks have compared them side-to-side.

Here in Australia we have the Shanghai built MYs - I've driven both July22 and Dec22 registered demo cars and noticed a difference in suspension just between those 5 months; the latter being less bumpy (noting that the MY only launched here in July 2022)

Can't wait to try out the Jan23 onward models with the 'comfort suspension'

Did you stay at stock height? One of the Honda guys I follow has the Ohlins loves them but is quite a bit lower than stock. I can't go lower or it won't clear my driveway!

Did you stay at stock height? One of the Honda guys I follow has the Ohlins loves them but is quite a bit lower than stock. I can't go lower or it won't clear my driveway!
According to Redwoods Motorsports when I asked how low I could go while preserving the comfort they said they would not go lower than 20mm if I wanted to keep all of the travel in the suspension to work best.

how much would it cost get Redwood's installed?
Cost shipped is 4k... install ??

Or just get 18" from tsportline? I have 20" inductions with stock goodyear and ride sucks coming from Audi/BMW EV's
an 18" setup buys you extra sidewall for a slightly cushier experience. But it doesn't solve anything. It may not be money well spent for just every day driving.
I'd suggest first getting a ride in a MY with 18" wheels to aid your decision making.
Then a ride in a MY with the Redwood setup.

Be aware that the chassis stiffness and wheelbase length are fundamental characteristics and will not change.
I have done an extensive ride in a Redwood setup and it definitely takes the bobblehead behavior and edge off, including rough pavement and railroad tracks.
I also have a set of 18" wheels with BFG Trail-Terrain tires (used once a month), and it's marginally cushier but still has the bobblehead behavior.

If stock ride height is important to you, the Redwood Ohlins setup is the only one I'm aware of right now that is good for stock ride height.
All the rest presume, and are designed around, lowering the ride height.
That will have an impact on tire selection, as reduced space in the wheel wells, especially the front, will result.

Of course, install on any aftermarket suspension is going to run you some $150-200 a corner.

an 18" setup buys you extra sidewall for a slightly cushier experience. But it doesn't solve anything. It may not be money well spent for just every day driving.
I'd suggest first getting a ride in a MY with 18" wheels to aid your decision making.
Then a ride in a MY with the Redwood setup.

Be aware that the chassis stiffness and wheelbase length are fundamental characteristics and will not change.
I have done an extensive ride in a Redwood setup and it definitely takes the bobblehead behavior and edge off, including rough pavement and railroad tracks.
I also have a set of 18" wheels with BFG Trail-Terrain tires (used once a month), and it's marginally cushier but still has the bobblehead behavior.

If stock ride height is important to you, the Redwood Ohlins setup is the only one I'm aware of right now that is good for stock ride height.
All the rest presume, and are designed around, lowering the ride height.
That will have an impact on tire selection, as reduced space in the wheel wells, especially the front, will result.

Of course, install on any aftermarket suspension is going to run you some $150-200 a corner.

Thank you.. I definitely don't like the ride right now...I was considering (in the order of cost) only one of them..
1. Change tires to 275/40/20 Continental DWS06 - $1500
2. get 18" wheels with cushion - $3500
3. Redwood suspension - $5000

Don't want to do all of them...
Going by your experience suck up and do (3)?? would i be able to sell old stock suspension? may be i get only $100 for it .. lol..

Thank you.. I definitely don't like the ride right now...I was considering (in the order of cost) only one of them..
1. Change tires to 275/40/20 Continental DWS06 - $1500
2. get 18" wheels with cushion - $3500
3. Redwood suspension - $5000

Don't want to do all of them...
Going by your experience suck up and do (3)?? would i be able to sell old stock suspension? may be i get only $100 for it .. lol..
1. no. not gonna improve anything.
2. you can do it much cheaper - just get Model 3 Aero takeoff wheels, forget the aftermarket-too expensive. My M3 aeros were $400.
Tires then 800-1000, plus sensors unless you just take them off current wheelset.
3. It'll be more like 5500, but then....you're done messing around.