Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla offer the facelift bumper as a retrofit?

Will Tesla offer to upgrade a classic Model S to the new front bumper?

• No. Sell your classic Tesla and buy a new one.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • Yes. The retrofit is rather easy and doable by Tesla.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • No, but the aftermarket will offer a bumper kit that will do the trick.

Votes: 89 49.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see that, but the gap there is much wider (taller) on that car than real facelift cars which has a very narrow gap.

This photo really shows the difference I'm talking about.
View attachment 211064

Sorry Hank your eyes are playing tricks on you.

First you'll note that my Frunk is open because the latch mechanism is not installed. Second you'll see that the older version is making you believe that there is more of a gap because your eyes are drawn to the line at the upper part of the grill. If you look closely you'll see that line begins much lower than the front of the hood line.

I don't claim that it's an easy swap there are some structural issues that need to be addressed however the issue that you see is simply not there.

Skilly, thank you for tackling this facelift ... please keep us updated on your progress.
I agree that upgrading the HID lights is the way to go ... the LED lights are a waste :cool:

Happy to help! There is so much back and forth on this subject but no examples good or bad of someone trying it! I was at the shop today and confirm - the hoodline fits perfectly - that picture example has all sorts of things playing with your eyes to make you think its different. The line in the old school grill certainly makes you believe there is a difference - but even the pitch of those two car photos are different - neither is a flat horizon pic; the next gen is pointing downward and the original is pointing slightly upward....so it also makes you think the hood is different. Definitively I can tell you its NOT.

Here is what is different so far (aside from the general mounting points that I discussed earlier):

1 the front lower grill (of course the upper too but I feel like thats stating the obvious).
2. the side grill flaps - they open and close on instructions from the car - the hope is that its an identical motor with the facelift version
3. the inner front facia for the frunk - it will all have to be replaced.
4. Some of the duct work - not sure yet if it can be cut to fit, or needs to be replaced.
5. the inner bumper mounting - it sticks out approximately 1/4 inch beyond what the new cone area will accommodate - none if it is safety based so it can be cut back to accommodate.
6. the access to battery terminals will need to be rethought or done the same way as the facelift car.

Thats it so far...but we aren't done yet.

Something to note - I have the luxury of a shop in my area that has the capability and capacity to do this kind of thing. And their thought is that if they can crack the code in a repeatable way, they can start offering the service to the Bay Area. They are good - so when this is all done, I will be sharing the results and giving the folks here contact points - just seems like the right thing to do!

I would say if you don't have a shop capable and has examples of work "outside of the box" I don't know if I would take this one on. I can say that a regular body shop wouldn't (and more likely can't) do this job. This is where the Unplugged Performance option starts to make sense - comparing their option to replacing the front with factory facelift parts seems to be close in terms of costs but, with complete OEM replacement by the book you might save about 1500.00 doing it the Unplugged Performance way. Without a shop like mine, they are simpler - same grills; mounting points etc, and a 2 to 3 hr install...complete piece of mind BUT its not cheap - $3000 for the part; $300 to ship; $500 labour and at least $1000 for paint (could easily be more). Call it - $5500 installed.

Last edited:
Something to note - I have the luxury of a shop in my area that has the capability and capacity to do this kind of thing. And their thought is that if they can crack the code in a repeatable way, they can start offering the service to the Bay Area. They are good - so when this is all done, I will be sharing the results and giving the folks here contact points - just seems like the right thing to do!
I would say if you don't have a shop capable and has examples of work "outside of the box" I don't know if I would take this one on. I can say that a regular body shop wouldn't (and more likely can't) do this job. This is where the Unplugged Performance option starts to make sense - comparing their option to replacing the front with factory facelift parts seems to be close in terms of costs but, with complete OEM replacement by the book you might save about 1500.00 doing it the Unplugged Performance way. Without a shop like mine, they are simpler - same grills; mounting points etc, and a 2 to 3 hr install...complete piece of mind BUT its not cheap - $3000 for the part; $300 to ship; $500 labour and at least $1000 for paint (could easily be more). Call it - $5500 installed.

I am local in the Bay Area and interested in a repeatable process for the front bumper fascia upgrade.
Let me know if you need a guinea pig :cool:

The aftermarket kit needed painting and moving around sensors too so I bet the pricing is about the same. With OEM parts you don't need to call the switch aftermarket. I always hated the nose cone so maybe this will make it go away. ;)

This thread has it backwards... assuming Classics want the new look.

The tide will shift the other way around when 3's hit and all Teslas (big money ones and cheap ones) will be looking similar from the front. Only the Classic will have a very distinctive appearance. Model S owners of the day will be scrambling to get that Classic nose cone look back onto their cars. Grasping at those design cues from the past, nostalgia setting in... weepy eyed. I love the old look!! It is the original and defining look of the emerging Tesla company and has a place in history. Just like the Roadsters love their cars and looks. Hangin' on..

This refresh and the next one are just passing fads... getting everyone caught in the changing style vortex, just to sell a car.

I got in on the ground floor. Pride stripe that nose cone is. I'm a grand daddy of EV. Listen to me all you kids with no noses!! In my day, we made do with 85 kW (sorta) batteries. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Andyw2100
This thread has it backwards... assuming Classics want the new look.

The tide will shift the other way around when 3's hit and all Teslas (big money ones and cheap ones) will be looking similar from the front. Only the Classic will have a very distinctive appearance. Model S owners of the day will be scrambling to get that Classic nose cone look back onto their cars. Grasping at those design cues from the past, nostalgia setting in... weepy eyed. I love the old look!! It is the original and defining look of the emerging Tesla company and has a place in history. Just like the Roadsters love their cars and looks. Hangin' on..

This refresh and the next one are just passing fads... getting everyone caught in the changing style vortex, just to sell a car.

I got in on the ground floor. Pride stripe that nose cone is. I'm a grand daddy of EV. Listen to me all you kids with no noses!! In my day, we made do with 85 kW (sorta) batteries. :p

Love the tongue and cheek feedback Grampa! "classic" is a stretch, but who knows...maybe.

I believe that Tesla got it right on the clean up of the front bumper cover. Im doing this because its a design improvement from the original. The cone is kind of a pain to keep clean; bugs and road debris get caught in it etc.

The only reason I would consider going back is to sell my car to a guy like you whose really a purist...in the end, any updates to a car, just kind of make it stand out to the right buyer; sometimes they will even pay a premium, but this shouldn't be done with an expectation of an investment!

At the moment, you'd have to fight me just to get me to part with it...Love this car! So this is for me, and given the noise on this subject, my guess is that there are more out there looking to do the same thing. :)

I have an update...but its not going to be what everyone on this thread will want to hear...the good news if anything, is that I have some definitive answers on what it takes to facelift your Model S to the 2017 front end.

On the surface it seems doable...and it is, but there are easier less costly paths. Here is a summary of what i know:

The parts list:
- bumper cover ($500)
- lower grills ($270.00 *2 = $540.00)
- lower middle grill (and custom mount for radar if you have an AP car) ($100)
- radiator mount ($375)
- air ducts ($80,00* 2 = $160)
- inner bumper ($380)
- inner plastic trip (inside frunk) ($275)
- grill with "T" (approx $100)
- hood (yes folks - CONFIRMED - the facelift hood is 1' longer end to end) ($600)
- lower bumper cover shroud ($280)
Its about $3,300 (some of those prices are estimates but most are known) and then factor in $2000 for paint and another 15 hours for labor - depending on your shop that could be anywhere from $750 to $1,500.

The OEM way (not supported by Tesla OEM :) ):
parts - $3300.00
labor - $1000.00
paint - $2000.00
Total - $6300.00 (doesn't include tax on parts)

The UP way
parts - $3000.00
shipping - $300.00
paint - $1000.00 (just bumper not hood)
labour $300.00
Total - $4600.00
hassle factor - $priceless

I tried. I failed...but I learned. Hopefully I this helps with those who were wondering!!!

I have an update...but its not going to be what everyone on this thread will want to hear...the good news if anything, is that I have some definitive answers on what it takes to facelift your Model S to the 2017 front end. On the surface it seems doable...and it is, but there are easier less costly paths. Here is a summary of what i know:
The OEM way (not supported by Tesla OEM :) ):
Total - $6300.00 (doesn't include tax on parts)
The UP way
Total - $4600.00 hassle factor - $priceless
I tried. I failed...but I learned. Hopefully I this helps with those who were wondering!!!

Thank you for testing the available options :cool:
Surprised to hear the new hood is longer ...

Unfortunate results, but really appreciate the work on this to get exact information. A few years back, my wife scarred up the bumper on her 2001 BMW 530i, so I decided to replace it with the more aggressive looking BMW M5 bumper (to match my own M5). The aftermarket bumper was cheap (like $200 cheap), but it needed about $300-$400 in additional factory parts to do it "right". Still, since I did all the work myself it was worth it.

In this case, even the UP and other options are pricey enough that as the car's age (and depreciate) it starts to become a big enough percentage of the car's value that you have to really just consider selling your existing car and putting that money towards a newer one with the new look and any number of other new features...of course, mods are rarely based on ROI so...ignore everything I just said!!!

Fyi
My friend/business partner was able to install an oem refresh nose on his 14. I will post up all the pics when I get them. He said all lined up no issues.

Not a chance, unless you mean by no issues that he was ready with the parts to support it that includes a new hood, rad support, inner bumper/supports, inner rad vents, front air vents, grills, frunk plastic trim, bottom lip, and other miscellaneous nuts and bolts. Outside of that, its no issue at all.

He has a 14 and just finished it here is a preliminary pic.No new hood either. Looks like the edge of the very side has a larger gap but does not look bad but needs 16 bracket.
received_10208775530571220.jpeg

Last edited: