Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kelvin 660

White SR+ with LFP battery
Aug 21, 2020
Stonehouse

What's your thinking about this?

I heard that Tesla are working on an App that will allow others EV owners to use the super charger network. It makes sense long term as we don't have petrol stations that can only be used by Ford...

Reactions: gangzoom
...What's your thinking about this?...
Incompatible charging in the name of the competition is very bad for EV drivers.

Imagine that only certain brands of cars can only get gasoline at certain gas stations? Gasoline drivers would be up in arms!

Tesla has always said that it's willing to share Tesla Superchargers as long as the infrastructure and operating cost are shared too.

At last, someone is taking up Tesla's offer so I think that's very good news for EV drivers.

Tesla’s SuC network is worth more to it as a brand differentiator than it is whatever they’d get in usage charges.

There will be people for whom the network was swung them towards a Tesla over another car, even when that other car is “better” in every other respect.

I can imagine, for example, a lot of Model S owners who would pull the trigger on a Taycan instead if they could use the supercharger network. Likewise there would be people who would’ve bought a Model 3 competitor if they could use superchargers.

As things stand the public third party rapid charging network is still not something you can rely on working, and it is still a faff with different providers having different cards, prices, etc.

I can’t see any upside besides a comparatively inconsequential revenue stream for Tesla to open up the supercharger network, yet I can see many downsides.

As a business decision, I'm all for this, especially if they continue to rollout new supercharging sites as they have been doing recently.

Why would Tesla want to restrict sales if they can can meet demand? I'd never have bought an ICE car based on having its own exclusive brand of petrol station because the fuelling options were abundant. If Tesla are also pushing to make their superchargers abundant then why remain exclusive? I've never had to queue to use a supercharger and often arrive with the pick of the bunch, appreciate it's not the same everywhere so more sites in key locations should be the focus before opening these up.

Charge extra for other brands to use the chargers, use the mark up to subsidise the price of Tesla's own cars

More customers will be using your app, will be on your mailing list, will think "hmm... if I had a Tesla this charging session would have cost me half as much/would have been twice as quick...."

This move really needs to be considered with the how the charging network could be in the near future, not what it is right now in some locations.

Edit: Chart showing the the yearly growth of SuC sites:

1624792946603.png

I enjoy my Model 3 but would definitely consider other EVs if I could use the Tesla supercharger network. I think it’s a massive and important differentiator for Tesla. Overall though, I‘d be in favour as it would massively increase the choice of EVs for me to consider next time I’m in buying mode.

It isn't just the Tesla SuC network that gives them the edge, it is their battery and motor technology, range, power delivery, efficiency and reliability. Managing power into a battery pack and power out is, in my opinion, their key USP.
The new Plaid is reported to be capable of accepting charge at 1000 miles/hour. So enough for 300 miles in 20 mins.... and a 0-60 of 2 seconds.
But it still uses the old 18650 batteries, not the 4860s.
My take is that opening up the SuC to others is likely to do more to sell the brand than harm their sales.

I’m against the idea. There’s enough silliness going on with other rapid and fast chargers. EV drivers hogging the chargers, not parking in bays correctly and thereby taking up 2 spaces, more wear and tear on the chargers so perhaps more faults when a Tesla driver wants to use them, charger cables and guns not returned back to the cradle correctly.

Knowing that you can pitch up at a supercharger and know that it's almost certainly going to work, isn't going to be full, etc (and you can see that on the map anyway) is worth a lot in peace of mind terms if you rely on them.

From running a BMW i3 exclusively using rapids for a year, before I got a home charger installed, I can say that there were enough times when the equipment was either out of order, in use for a significant amount of time before I could get on, etc.. that I honestly did not know from one time to the next whether I would get home in ~1.5 hours or several.

All it's going to achieve by Tesla opening the SuC network up to other manufacturers is driving potential customers to other brands, as well as irritating those who already have them (as they will get a lot busier). And for what? A bit of extra cash from charging? Brand cachet they already have?

...EV drivers hogging the chargers, not parking in bays correctly and thereby taking up 2 spaces...
That's behavioral problems in general and not specific to any brands.

Tesla did not have an idle fee until there was so much outcry that it finally implemented it.

If additional behavioral problems are still vocally complained about, maybe Tesla can hire a station security guard or start placing cameras for ticketings.

...more wear and tear on the chargers so perhaps more faults when a Tesla driver wants to use them...
Tesla is no longer a small private company. It's so big and has so much money now. It can handle the repairs as needed.
...charger cables and guns not returned back to the cradle correctly...
Again, it's a behavioral problem. Tesla can find ways to ticket them or can deploy robotic charging cables.

The big question is whether SuC installations will keep pace with the number of new Teslas being put on the road. We haven’t even had the arrival of the MY yet, which has now overtaken sales of M3s in the US.

It’s notable how much busier SuC are now. The future certainly looks interesting, but personally can’t see any plus sides on opening up the Tesla network unless the investment in expanding it is substantial. It’s hard to see any profit motivated OEM being interested in meeting that level of commitment, which is why no one has taken up Elon’s offer to this point.

...The big question is whether SuC installations will keep pace with the number of new Teslas being put on the road. We haven’t even had the arrival of the MY yet, which has now overtaken sales of M3s in the US...

That was a concern when people heard that after the S and X, the cheaper Model 3 would come out and would cause Tesla Supercharger traffic jam.

Tesla Supercharger traffic jam has been improved when there was Model S only, then S and X, then S, X, 3, and Y.

That's because when there was only S, it built 1 or 2-bays for each station. Now, each station has many more than 2 bays and Tesla has scaled up worldwide: 72 bays in Shanghai, 56 bays in Firebaugh, CA, more than 100 bays planned for Harris Ranch, CA...

Reactions: marcopolomt
Knowing that you can pitch up at a supercharger and know that it's almost certainly going to work, isn't going to be full, etc (and you can see that on the map anyway) is worth a lot in peace of mind terms if you rely on them.

From running a BMW i3 exclusively using rapids for a year, before I got a home charger installed, I can say that there were enough times when the equipment was either out of order, in use for a significant amount of time before I could get on, etc.. that I honestly did not know from one time to the next whether I would get home in ~1.5 hours or several.

All it's going to achieve by Tesla opening the SuC network up to other manufacturers is driving potential customers to other brands, as well as irritating those who already have them (as they will get a lot busier). And for what? A bit of extra cash from charging? Brand cachet they already have?
This resonates with me. Recently moved to SR+ after 4 years with an i3. Found the i3 to be a lovely car but didn’t do much long distance and when I did was glad I had the Rex version. Didn’t do many miles on Rex but worth it for piece of mind. SuC network was a key motivation for me spending slightly more than I was intending and getting the M3.