Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it's 2 bays unavailable. the one where BMW is parked at and the left one, which charger cable is being used.

right but we know that. It is inevitable with any car that has the charge port on the rear right or front left. Telsa know this, they havne't said those users aren't allowed to charge, so that is an anticipated and accepted byproduct of Tesla opening up

Reactions: MarkThisDay
Can't wait for the first person to report battery flat while waiting for a charger
Renders the "Stalls Free" in ABRP, Tesla App and On-Screen competely redundant. I've found this to a useful factor to decide whether to stop and charge (and possibly wait) or press on to the next SC with more availability and arrive with a lower state of charge. When more sites start to open things could get quite interesting.

Reactions: M1tch
Inappropriate should mean like that 'kerb' tweet - a car parked entirely sideways blocking multiple bays.

A car with the charge point positioned on the 'wrong' side so they use up two bays is not inappropriate - by definition of Tesla opening them up to non-Teslas, not just 'non teslas with the charge port on the rear left/front right'

exception to this would be if they're spacing themselves in such a way as to amplify the issue. Eg

if the bays are like this with the | line being the charger:
1|2|3|4|5

BMW rocks up in bay 2:
1|B|3|4|5

Now Tesla can't charge in bay 1 but it can in 3/4/5.

Now an ID3 turns up and parks in bay 4:
1|B|3|V|5

Now no Tesla can charge but there are three bays technically empty. The ID3 is parking incorrectly (or at least impolitely). It if parked in bays 3 or 5, it would leave slots available for Telsa (or any other car with a left sided charge port)

1|B|V|4|5 (here tesla can charge in 4)
1|B|3|4|V (here tesla can charge in 3)

It'll definitely lead to occasional head scratching and checking as you arrive to see which free bay is actually free or not really
or you be complete ass and disconnect their charger :D

First rule of super charging unplug all none Tesla's 🍿🍿🍿
my-man-my-man-denzel.gif

Can't really blame the drivers, Tesla opened up the network to all and they are paying for their charge. Tesla were well aware of this before they started the trials, to me it would of made sense to fit longer cables to all trial locations before opening them, they're going to have to do something eventually anyway they cant leave the chargers open like this long term, they have to put in a solution so all cars can charge from the correct charger for their parking bay.
Yup, I don't blame the people who pitch up and connect however they can. That includes Taycans parked sideways. Tesla chose those sites, told those drivers they could use the chargers.

The outcome was eminently forseeable when the first countries opened up. Hell, it was obvious before the trial, because the location of charge ports on non-Tesla is not some industry secret. Basically any car that doesn't have it in the same place as a Tesla is going to cause problems, some more than others. This didn't and hasn't stopped Tesla pushing forwards with opening up more countries, and throwing their customers to the wolves in terms of dealing with this.

I just pointed out that 2 bays unavailable, not 1

we'll descend into arguing about semantics which I know is fun on forums but will just be circular. The BMW is charging. Its unavailable for you as a tesla owner but no more than if a tesla was there. I didnt' count that as unavailable because it was at least being actively used for charging.

Two unavailable slots for Telsa owners - one unavailable slot for Tesla as a supercharger service. Maybe that works?

Reactions: Cantonalegod
Tesla want to open up their chargers and will know about the issues involved, what I expect is that new installs will be more like the ones in Norway where there are multiple lanes of chargers to cater for many different placements of cars.

In the meantime here I hope they only open the less busier chargers to avoid mayhem.

I just pointed out that 2 bays unavailable, not 1
You are right, but what I saw in the photo was that at that point there were at least 5 bays that were not being used by Tesla's, and a BMW was paying for the service.

As I posted a long way back in this thread I have used the 8 stall Dundee SC which is a test site a few times. I have only ever seen no more than two Teslas there at the same time as me. If the site with the BMW is similarly used then it is just cash to Tesla.

I regularly use Scotch Corner. That one is not opening to the masses anytime soon. The v3 bases have been sitting there for over a year and that upgrade has yet to occur. As there is to be a new EV charging facility built across the road it may never be a problem for Tesla owners in any event.

There’s an independent guide to doing which has come out. Someone on Pistonheads was surprised the guide said the type 2 wouldn’t work, which it won’t, that’s the type of issue we’ll be dealing with from the “it looks like it should fit so why doesn’t it work?” users.

I’m also mulling over the advice that if you need to block a second bay, then block a matched pair if using a V2 supercharger. It seems good advice, I think, but are any of the ones opened up actually V2 ones?

• Informative
Reactions: Sean.
You are right, but what I saw in the photo was that at that point there were at least 5 bays that were not being used by Tesla's, and a BMW was paying for the service.

As I posted a long way back in this thread I have used the 8 stall Dundee SC which is a test site a few times. I have only ever seen no more than two Teslas there at the same time as me. If the site with the BMW is similarly used then it is just cash to Tesla.

I regularly use Scotch Corner. That one is not opening to the masses anytime soon. The v3 bases have been sitting there for over a year and that upgrade has yet to occur. As there is to be a new EV charging facility built across the road it may never be a problem for Tesla owners in any event.

There's no disagreement surely? We are all recognising the fact that in various scenarios instead of 1 car requiring 1 stall there will now be situations where 1 car will make 2 stalls unavailable. At the present time, in lightly used locations, this is neither here nor there ... we all also agree on that. We are all now watching how Supercharger usage evolves and hopefully there will be very few problems. We don't yet know how rapidly Tesla will choose to increase the number of "shared" Supercharger sites ... we already know that it was expanded quite quickly in some other countries so it's not surprising that people are concerned and keeping a close eye on how this develops. So far Photos of inappropriate UK Supercharger usage is not being flooded with images that suggest problems ... instead it's already full of chat that should be taking place on this thread!