Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plenty of banks of four and six around, plus they are often in clusters. I use them ahead of superchargers if convenient. The general point though is that lots of hubs are appearing. There are 62 hubs of four or more ultra rapid chargepoints outside the Tesla network (which has 98). There are at least as many in construction or known to be at the planning stage. Only this week a 30-plus hub off the M40 at the NEC gained planning permission. There are so many in the offing it's hard to keep up.
This ☝️
We are on the cusp of the tipping point to BEV adoption. We 'should' start to see charge point access accelerate beyond anything we've seen in the past decade 🤞

Reactions: Derek25
Maybe they should open the chargers in the states

Maidstone has that configuration
Been to a few in recent memory with side-on stalls...Camborne (v3), Darts Farm (v2), Westfield (v2) and Canary Wharf (v3).

Edit: oops forget about the new stalls at Heathrow T5 Hilton, which have around 10 or so side-on v3 tombstones, that were installed/upgraded over the pandemic. That place was like a ghost town.

They're moving to CCS connectors in the States (announced last week).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Adopado
Been to a few in recent memory with side-on stalls...Camborne (v3), Darts Farm (v2), Westfield (v2) and Canary Wharf (v3).

Edit: oops forget about the new stalls at Heathrow T5 Hilton, which have around 10 or so side-on v3 tombstones, that were installed/upgraded over the pandemic. That place was like a ghost town.

They're moving to CCS connectors in the States (announced last week).
A layout similar to a petrol station with side access both sides is the answer but would take up more space than the end-on stalls that are most common. Major hubs like the big Gridserves are doing this.

A layout similar to a petrol station with side access both sides is the answer but would take up more space than the end-on stalls that are most common. Major hubs like the big Gridserves are doing this.
Looks OK space wise to me...I've not noticed that side-on tombstone arrangement is any less space efficient than the original V2 end-of-bay / lateral layout.

I've not noticed that side-on tombstone arrangement is any less space efficient than the original V2 end-of-bay / lateral layout.

Have to allow space to park either side of each tombstone?

EDIT: Actually that isn't that great, pull into a bay and then find person on other side is using the cable ...

At petrol forecourt the arrangement has two nozzles, one for each side, and assumption? that cars that arrive are 50:50 ... and hoses long enough to reach far side if needed

Long-reach petrol nozzles are retractable, wouldn't that work for end-places tombstones? Why do Ionity et al have such long cables which get left trailing on the ground?

The key for eTron and Taycan is SuC with side-on tombstones, parked front-end in on a Taycan should be OK and not block the bay...as per vid above.

Original style end-on / lateral facing tombstones are definitely not a goer, unless one is in deliberate 'prick-mode' and parks across three bays 😈. I don't think deletion of bump stops would help, the cable would probably still be too short for this port position.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-21 at 12.10.42.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-21 at 12.10.42.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 73
Looks OK space wise to me...I've not noticed that side-on tombstone arrangement is any less space efficient than the original V2 end-of-bay / lateral layout.

The space issue is related to the petrol station model not the individual stall model which still suffers from one car inadvertently "claiming" 2 stalls in some circumstances.

Going into a petrol station you can choose which side you drive into depending on which side your filler is on. (Yes, you can go either side in a fuel car because they have extra long fuel hoses.) Also with a line of side access double stalls anyone can potentially access any stall on either side and only take up one space if you allow people to point in different directions (unlike the normal flow direction used in petrol stations.) ... but it requires plenty of space and many groups of stalls to date have been squeezed into quite a small area ... efficient for one-make charging of Teslas but not so good when the whole world is looking for charging options.

Last edited:

Petrol station approach could work if each ‘charger’ was dual cabled so could serve left and right handed cars at the same time (like a petrol station is). Assuming the distribution of location is roughly 50/50 that should work ok for capacity planning too so not wasting a lot of tarmac relative to cars served.

Petrol station approach could work if each ‘charger’ was dual cabled so could serve left and right handed cars at the same time (like a petrol station is). Assuming the distribution of location is roughly 50/50 that should work ok for capacity planning too so not wasting a lot of tarmac relative to cars served.
Just 2 stalls back to back would do it ... as per diagram in my previous post.

There's no other way for a Taycan as far as I can see. The charging port is still too far away for the short cables if parked nose in. Some Tesla stalls have a side-on position and that would be possible but they are presently a rarity less common in the UK.
Taycan always can charge at another location.

No one forces other EV drivers to charge at SUC...
It's like coming to petrol station, hose does not really reach.. what do you do then? You go to next one.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangespoon
It's like coming to petrol station, hose does not really reach.. what do you do then? You go to next one.
... but I have never known that happen ...

If we are to believe that Tesla actually want other makes to be able to access the Superchargers then they have to ultimately make them easily and straightforwardly accessible without disadvantaging other drivers. I would guess that nothing much will be done with existing stalls but that a revised design for future installations may well be in the pipeline.