Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla punish their supporters, or refund $3,000?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I’ve been wondering if HW2/2.5 has reached it’s limit in terms of ability to even handle Navigate on Autopilot. Is that why NoA was moved from the autopilot package to the FSD package for new cars? Current Enhanced Autopilot owners will be very pissed if NoA performs significantly better on HW3.

I've been wondering about HW2 AP limits as well. Unfortunately I've been unsuccessful in terms of getting a straight answer from Tesla. I'm hoping other owners have better luck with this, so we could have some clarity of what to expect. I hate to repeatedly refer to that demo video, but many of us pulled the purchase/lease trigger based on that demo. The self-driving behavior illustrated in that video, right or wrong, has been (and should continue to be) the yard stick by which to measure AP hardware v.2 performance. To make clear my stance, while I don't expect my AP2 X to drive exactly how it was portrayed in the video (because I didn't pay for FSD), I don't think it's unreasonable that, after 2 years of having paid for ($5K) for EAP, I am disappointed that my car hasn't reached AP1 parity.

Reactions: C141medic
I've been wondering about HW2 AP limits as well. Unfortunately I've been unsuccessful in terms of getting a straight answer from Tesla. I'm hoping other owners have better luck with this, so we could have some clarity of what to expect. I hate to repeatedly refer to that demo video, but many of us pulled the purchase/lease trigger based on that demo. The self-driving behavior illustrated in that video, right or wrong, has been (and should continue to be) the yard stick by which to measure AP hardware v.2 performance. To make clear my stance, while I don't expect my AP2 X to drive exactly how it was portrayed in the video (because I didn't pay for FSD), I don't think it's unreasonable that, after 2 years of having paid for ($5K) for EAP, I am disappointed that my car hasn't reached AP1 parity.

I think we’ll know the answer soon. I think Tesla is gonna have to bite the bullet and upgrade all EAP cars to HW3. Right now they’re offering it for $2k, but at some point the development of NoA (which has a long way to go) will reach a point that it won’t work very well on HW2/2.5 and Tesla will be forced to do the HW3 upgrade for free. Taking NoA out of the new base Autopilot package ensures they don’t have to upgrade everyone to HW3, just those that got EAP.

Depends on how much you supercharge. Here in MA, it costs 28 cents per KWH. Assuming 75 KWH batter and 310 miles per charge, that's 45K miles to break even. In the winter, you need even more juice so it'll be less miles than that.
Like any sane person, I do not use supercharging as my primary power source.

I agree that early adopters usually take the risk of cost reduction however fsd has never been an available option to use and we were told it would cost more in the future. I think the fairest way for tesla to handle it is simple. The obvious choice of refunding $1000 is simply not an option for understandable reasons but offering a $1000 credit for either service or purchase of something from the tesla store should be an easy solution to keep your loyalist of customers happy or at least not mad. You could even set an expiation date on the credit. I don't have a twitter account but if someone would forward that to Elon you never know?

To me...the struggle on choosing sides in this discussion and many other discussions at some point requires a heart.

Did Tesla do something illegal? Was it scientifically wrong? NO. And most people don't do things blatantly wrong that lands them in jail or whatever. That appears to me to be how most people are raised - to know the different actions categorized as blatant / illegal actions and those of the opposite nature.

Did Tesla do something questionable that teeters on unethical that is NOT illegal? Yes. This is where many people from the above group drop off. I don't know why, but trying to try a case of unethical practices in a court of the general public opinion can be at the very least a massive struggle to those with a purely legal thought process.

I do thank Tesla first of all for recognizing that they didn't do anything illegal, however went a step further to compensate pre-FSD purchasers with something. Even they recognized the ethical imbalance and offered "something". Their choice was albeit futile....but it was something IMO.

I am one of those who bought an early Model 3 (VIN 20xx) with EAP + FSD for $8000. I recognized when I bought in that the FSD scenario was likely to change dramatically in the future, one way or the other. A large part of my purchase decision was simply to support the cause, and to demonstrate support for FSD. At the time, I thought there was a significant probability that the cost would go up; e.g. Tesla might find that true FSD requires more expensive hardware than expected, and that I would be locking in a good deal for that reason. (This might still prove to be the case, if e.g. "HW4" turns out to be required, which means that current FSD buyers are locking in an even better deal.)

I've been able to use EAP for the past year, so if I had bought nothing up front I would have missed out on a year of EAP. That has significant value to me, though maybe not $2k. (Call it $1k.) The main complaint is that I paid $3k for vaporware FSD when I could have waited a year and paid $2k. So my total early-adopter penalty in my mind is closer to $1-2k.

I'm not furious, but somewhat disgruntled, and certainly would appreciate Tesla taking some steps to make early FSD purchasers whole. I don't expect literal cash back, but some amount of service/merchandise credits and/or a year or two of free Supercharging would go a long way. Getting early access to software is also a meaningful perk (to me, because I'm a nerd). An invite to a Tesla event (e.g. demonstration of FSD, or Roadster with SpaceX package) would also be nice.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the heck out of my Model 3. (And 2012 Model S, and 2008 Roadster to boot.) Tesla's success makes me happy, and this is worth some bumps along the way.

2008 Roadster
Not to derail this thread with unrelated stuff but that is exactly my plan.
Your Roadster may have been my first Tesla sighting in Santa Barbara back in 08' or 09' and started my lust for owning one.
I had first read about them in a magazine and thought "what a great idea" and "how cool is that car" and "look honey there's no exhaust" then one day while traveling north through Santa Barbara on my way home I had actually seen "THE" car, I was in traffic behind you maybe! and ever since that time I really wanted one.

A Roadster was not practical and too expensive I told myself
The S is practical but still too expensive I said
3/31/16 I stand in line and reserve
Feb of 18 I order a 3
4/26/18 and I finally get to drive/own a Tesla

So if that was you then thank you for the inspiration!

• Love
Reactions: Ben W
I don't expect literal cash back, but some amount of service/merchandise credits and/or a year or two of free Supercharging would go a long way. Getting early access to software is also a meaningful perk (to me, because I'm a nerd). An invite to a Tesla event (e.g. demonstration of FSD, or Roadster with SpaceX package) would also be nice.

Exactly my feeling. If early access program means getting HW3 and city driving features a few months before everyone else, then will be happy to consider the $3000 I paid/overpaid for FSD as a donation to a good cause. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Hitman007 and Ben W
So got an email from Tesla that hey are just are just going to give me early access program, instead of partial refund of FSD. Man, kinda feel burned pre-ordering FSD for 5k, I don't know what I was thinking. I am probably going to call and see if I can get a 2k refund.

Called and phone support can't really do anything, going to email back and explain situation again, going to be pretty lame if I pre-ordered it for double the price...

So got an email from Tesla that hey are just are just going to give me early access program, instead of partial refund of FSD. Man, kinda feel burned pre-ordering FSD for 5k, I don't know what I was thinking. I am probably going to call and see if I can get a 2k refund.

Called and phone support can't really do anything, going to email back and explain situation again, going to be pretty lame if I pre-ordered it for double the price...

Did they email you out of the blue or in response to something?

Thanks, Elon! 2 months in could have saved at least $2.3k, which does not include the EAP pricing disaster. How about throwing in free supercharging? Lesson learned... should have waited. No wonder they were so aggressive and wanted me to take delivery ASAP.