Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla punish their supporters, or refund $3,000?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did they email you out of the blue or in response to something?

Sorry I should have said they emailed me back. I emailed asking if I can return FSD or get a partial refund. Phone support had indicated they would, but said I should email them to get it on the record.

I’d be happy getting a 2k refund and paying 3k for it, but right now it feels like I preordered something for 5k when it is 2-3k at release.

I'm a EAP/FSD Aug 2018 LR RWD buyer and I'm upset. I have gone from an avid Tesla lover to someone who feels cheated, lied too, and taken advantage of by Tesla.

FSD has NEVER been delivered, its essentially a "pre-order" and Tesla thinks they can now offer this "pre-order" price lower to others while not reducing my price? Really? I've never dealt with a company in my life who doesn't adjust pre-order pricing whether its a digital or physical product.

I had full intentions to buy a model Y on day 1, but there is no way I will be doing that now. Tesla has burnt my loyalty and trust and quite frankly I will likely swing to other EV companies for my 2nd EV.

Tesla still has a chance to correct their mistakes and at a MINIMUM I expect 1K refunded to me. Then I will feel that it is fair, yet still have wounds. Refunding me 3K will resolve the issue completely since that's what new buyers are getting it for.

Regardless, I'm fully expecting to get nothing except a big FU. And as such I've already mentally started shifting my thoughts away from Tesla for the future, as well as steering others away from the company. I've already had 3 referrals, and I will go from being a positive fanboy to someone who tells others to stay away because Tesla cannot be trusted, and will lie to you just to get extra money up front.

In the end this entire thing is going to hurt Tesla because I'm just one of many who feels this way.

You sound like me. The money isn’t s stretch for me, but I could have spent that $3k on something else. Since I got my Model S in 2016 I missed out on referrral by 5 days $1,000, integrated console by 2 weeks, and bought my own $1,800 difference, new wheels, and two months later the refresh.

I didn’t bitch and moan about that. Prices change.

My Model 3 I paid $56k for is the same price I could have gotten every wheel option, EAP/FSD and white interior. Tesla than started giving away free supercharging and doing referrals again. I missed out again, but still don’t bother me much.

This one has completely disintegrated my love for Tesla. I would go to events, give people rides, refer others to buy Tesla and that is over and my relationship with the company is likely over. I kind of want to go back to buying a car that is just that, a car. Owning a Tesla is like watching sports. Too many ups and downs during ownership. This down takes the cake for me, and they lost someone who has given them $150k.

FSD don’t exists so they should refund the money if customers want their money back. If it does exists then no refund. Just like any other car company , some things come free after the next model year. But since fsd is blank, nothing. Then I think Tesla should pay it back if you want your money back.
Right? Any preorder I have ever bought doesn’t even get charged until the item ships. How is this legal?

Reactions: C141medic
The price you bought at is what it is.
There is always a premium to be an early adopter.
If Tesla started giving money back they wouldn't be around for long.
I always buy my new trucks in the fall. One full year after the launch. I usually save 10-12K.

Its ok to pay a price to be an early adopter if the product was already here and delivered. But now everyone is pre-ordering FSD at all kinds of different prices. I don't see how that is ok.

This one has completely disintegrated my love for Tesla. I would go to events, give people rides, refer others to buy Tesla and that is over and my relationship with the company is likely over. I kind of want to go back to buying a car that is just that, a car. Owning a Tesla is like watching sports. Too many ups and downs during ownership. This down takes the cake for me, and they lost someone who has given them $150k.

I have a friend who asked me today if I can give them a test ride this Friday, and I always love to show people how amazing the car is (and always will be) But internally It just felt so different talking positive about tesla today. I wasn't in the mood to explain to my friend that Tesla is doing a disservice to those who pre-ordered FSD already. Tesla is all word of mouth, and that excitement is just gone when you know that you are paying thousands more for the same thing we are all in line for. Just zapped my overall enthusiasm with Tesla lately.

I have a friend who asked me today if I can give them a test ride this Friday, and I always love to show people how amazing the car is (and always will be) But internally It just felt so different talking positive about tesla today. I wasn't in the mood to explain to my friend that Tesla is doing a disservice to those who pre-ordered FSD already. Tesla is all word of mouth, and that excitement is just gone when you know that you are paying thousands more for the same thing we are all in line for. Just zapped my overall enthusiasm with Tesla lately.

Tell them you don’t recommend it anymore. I say that now. Don’t give out test drives. It’s not worth supporting Tesla

You sound like me. The money isn’t s stretch for me, but I could have spent that $3k on something else. Since I got my Model S in 2016 I missed out on referrral by 5 days $1,000, integrated console by 2 weeks, and bought my own $1,800 difference, new wheels, and two months later the refresh.

I didn’t bitch and moan about that. Prices change.

My Model 3 I paid $56k for is the same price I could have gotten every wheel option, EAP/FSD and white interior. Tesla than started giving away free supercharging and doing referrals again. I missed out again, but still don’t bother me much.

I thought I typed this at first... 100% in the same boat. I cannot believe that this is how they are treating their customers. I also do not see how this is not fraud and how they are not going to get class action against them. They clearly published the lock in your savings now and now don't even offer a refund when they didn't even deliver the product? Get the **** out of here.

I thought I typed this at first... 100% in the same boat. I cannot believe that this is how they are treating their customers. I also do not see how this is not fraud and how they are not going to get class action against them. They clearly published the lock in your savings now and now don't even offer a refund when they didn't even deliver the product? Get the **** out of here.

But everything was true. You got a car without the features, and up until the a couple of days ago it would have cost you more to upgrade. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't understand how something that is true at the time you make agreement that later changes is fraud unless it was agreed that the conditions of the agreement would not change for some period of time.

But everything was true. You got a car without the features, and up until the a couple of days ago it would have cost you more to upgrade. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't understand how something that is true at the time you make agreement that later changes is fraud unless it was agreed that the conditions of the agreement would not change for some period of time.

I think the potential fraud part is taking money for a service, not delivering it, and also not allowing refunds on that non-delivered service.

I think the potential fraud part is taking money for a service, not delivering it, and also not allowing refunds on that non-delivered service.

...so what service did we sign up for. Now, NoA, summon are FSD. If they deliver advanced summon, did they deliver a service to us? ...maybe it wasn't what we where expecting, but it sounds more like a "buyer beware" situation.

I'm not saying this was a good decision on Tesla's part. I'm a Marriott lifetime platinum, having spends may tens of thousands of dollars with Marriott. Tomorrow they could discontinue the lifetime program. Yes, a lot of customer would be upset, but it wouldn't be fraud.

I'm not expecting anything, but it would be nice if Tesla made it right with their early supporters. Moving NoA to FSD is a dirty trick. Here is what I bought (screenshots from 01/13/2017):
EA:
tesla-model-x-06-enhanced-autopilot-4500-jpg.383560

And FSD:
tesla-model-x-07-full-self-driving-capability-3000-jpg.383561

Attachments

• Tesla-Model-X-06-Enhanced-Autopilot-4500.jpg
    Tesla-Model-X-06-Enhanced-Autopilot-4500.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Tesla-Model-X-07-Full-Self-Driving-Capability-3000.JPG
    Tesla-Model-X-07-Full-Self-Driving-Capability-3000.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Love
See above... That is the FSD that I pre-paid for in 2018. I still do not have that service and now it's being changed include features that I already paid for (EAP) and I still don't have FSD capabilities. How is this NOT bait and switch? Again, Tesla is not making a good decision that is creating so much chatter and clearly upsetting quite a few owners. The continued damage to their own brand over something so stupid like this is crazy to me. Any objective person would be draw the conclusion of 'yeah, we need to make sure we refund the folks that pre-paid because of all these changes'.

Do you feel the same way when the fridge you purchased goes on sale for $400 dollars off the two weeks after you bought it?
Do you feel the same way when the phone you purchased last year goes on sale 6 months later at 40% off?
You must feel the same when the tires you bought last week just went on sale with buy three and get on free with 100 dollar Visa card included.

No, because I will just cancel that fridge/phone/tires purchase (I'm still waiting for them to be delivered, right?) and will reorder them with the discount.

...so what service did we sign up for. Now, NoA, summon are FSD. If they deliver advanced summon, did they deliver a service to us? ...maybe it wasn't what we where expecting, but it sounds more like a "buyer beware" situation.

I'm not saying this was a good decision on Tesla's part. I'm a Marriott lifetime platinum, having spends may tens of thousands of dollars with Marriott. Tomorrow they could discontinue the lifetime program. Yes, a lot of customer would be upset, but it wouldn't be fraud.

Well, when I bought the FSD option said “In the future the Model 3 will be able to conduct trips with no action from the person in the drivers seat. The functionality is dependent on software validation and regulatory approval. It is not possible to know exactly when it will be available as this is highly dependent on local regulatory approval which may vary widely by jurisdiction. “

If they had withheld NoA from EAP buyers and made that the first feature you had to buy FSD for, I would have been happy as a clam. But they didn’t.

Tough to be positive on the Tesla brand right now...

To be clear, this is just about the preorder of the FSD.

I have been a major supporter of Tesla...

I own stock..
I volunteered to help out at Service Centers during their major push to assist in car delivery.
I purchased the Model 3 sight unseen and no test drive even without any referral options (at the time of purchase, referral got you nothing on Model 3).

I even went as far as grabbing the EAP (services delivered) and the FSD (pre-ordered @ 3k).

Still very disappointed that Tesla is showing no effort to in some way in making it right as they have in the past with others on the Model 3.

I don't care about the drop in car price.... That is more than acceptable in my eyes... But to not offer something to a purchaser of a pre-ordered item and hasn't been delivered, just doesn't feel right...

I'm a Marriott lifetime platinum, having spends may tens of thousands of dollars with Marriott. Tomorrow they could discontinue the lifetime program. Yes, a lot of customer would be upset, but it wouldn't be fraud.
I’m lifetime Platinum as well. To my recollection I paid zero to become a Marriott rewards member. This is a loyalty “perk or program” and points and status are awarded based on how many stays you have and how much you spend. Not a good comparison in my opinion.

Reactions: HostileHarry
So, to the people that think they got overcharged.

Do you feel the same way when the fridge you purchased goes on sale for $400 dollars off the two weeks after you bought it?
Do you feel the same way when the phone you purchased last year goes on sale 6 months later at 40% off?
You must feel the same when the tires you bought last week just went on sale with buy three and get on free with 100 dollar Visa card included.

I say to you "Get over it, accept that life is unfair and stop your sniveling." Find something important to worry about. Go for a run or maybe a walk on the beach. If you don't like the car sell it. If you do like it, be happy that you do. A valid rant might be against gas tax, or maybe the way your city is run and wasting your money. Perhaps the state of the interstate system? Fight for something that will make a difference in the long run. Ponder what is important.

It's posts like this that make me realize that some just don't get it....

If I PRE-ORDERED a fridge at $400 and before they delivered it, reduced the price, I would cancel the order and buy at the new price or ask for a refund in the difference.

If I PRE-ORDERED a phone and before they delivered it, reduced the price by 40%, I would cancel the order and buy at the new price.

If I PRE-ORDERED a set of tires and before they delivered them, they went on sale, I would cancel the order and purchase at the SALE and get my 100 dollar VISA card.

I PRE-ORDERED FSD...... It has NOT been delivered.... I can NOT cancel the order and purchase it at the new price...

I am more than willing to work with Tesla to find a solution that works in the favor of both parties... I would be more than happy with SC credit... or lifetime free SC credit..... or maybe an extended warranty.... Anything.... But to just ignore those who PRE-ORDERED FSD and ignore them is not right.

Last edited:

The agreement was to pre-order FSD at a certain price.... which we did.... we PRE-ORDERED it.... It has not been given to us yet... Tesla hasn't given one the option to cancel it and reorder at the lower price nor have they come up with a plan to take care of those who pre-ordered..

Now, if they had done this after they rollouted HW3 and people with FSD got their retrofitted computer, then Tesla would have delivered something to FSD pre-ordered customers and no one could really complain.