Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla remove FSD from used inventory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had any luck getting Tesla to remove FSD and lower the price on their used inventory? The used car prices are finally getting down to were I feel they should be, if they could be reduced a little more after the removal of FSD.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
Has anyone had any luck getting Tesla to remove FSD and lower the price on their used inventory? The used car prices are finally getting down to were I feel they should be, if they could be reduced a little more after the removal of FSD.

It's a confusing area of software enable features.

Tesla says FSD cannot be removed from a car because it's attached to a VIN.

However, in the long past, owners were able to change their minds about their new cars by canceling FSD at the delivery session. I don't know any recent cases.

It's more confusing that Tesla has a history of removing FSD from a used car after it left Tesla's ownership.

One reason they could do that is to sell me a car.

They might, or might not, but tesla has not had any issues moving cars so "selling XXX a car" isnt a specific issue they have. You are looking at this from a "car dealer" selling you a car mindset, and tesla doesnt particularly care one way or another at this time because someone else will quickly buy it if you dont.

Not exactly the same question, but I asked a Tesla chat rep a few months ago if they could *add* FSD to a new inventory vehicle that didn’t have it (so it could go on my loan and be covered by insurance.) They said that was indeed possible.

I didn’t end with an inventory car though so I didn’t see that actually happen.

Not exactly the same question, but I asked a Tesla chat rep a few months ago if they could *add* FSD to a new inventory vehicle that didn’t have it (so it could go on my loan and be covered by insurance.) They said that was indeed possible.

I didn’t end with an inventory car though so I didn’t see that actually happen.

Oh yeah, they will add it to any vehicle, no problem. Thats never been an issue. Its subtracting it from an inventory vehicle. They will subtract it from a NEW vehicle, unless something has changed, even if that new vehicle is in stock. Whether they will take it off a used vehicle or not... well there isnt a global answer to that. Some people report yes, some report no, so as mentioned it doesnt hurt to ask.

Its just, if they say no, and someone says "well I guess you are not selling me a car, then", they likely say ok, thanks for your time, and move on. There isnt any of the verbal "get up and walk to leave the dealership to get them to throw in XXX" that some people may be used to.

Tesla really doesn't have much motivation to remove FSD from used vehicles. If they did the buyer would expect a price drop of at least $6K, maybe more based on today's $10K selling price. If they can't sell the car at their current ask they could just try dropping the price by $1K-$2K and it would likely sell pretty quickly. There is no cost to Tesla to offer FSD so they will maximize their profit by selling every used car with FSD at whatever price they can get.

Tesla will remove FSD from a new/demo inventory car but I don't think they typically do so on used. As others have suggested, it doesn't hurt to at least ask.

Tesla's method to move used inventory is generally through price reductions. If a car sits long enough, the price may eventually be reduced close to or equal to the cost of FSD. Of course, if you wait too long it may sell before you can grab it.

My SA offered to remove FSD from a demo P3D I was interested in and he acted like it was no big deal, but YMMV with other dealer. In the end I elected to order a new model without FSD instead due to the small price differential and the new features in the 2021 model.

Likely a good choice as there are some technological advances with the 2021 models, some of which may matter to you (such as the heat pump if you live in a cold climate).

Also, just a reminder: Tesla doesn't have "Dealers," just galleries. (Other brands have dealers.)

However, you may wish to reconsider and just get a car with FSD after all. Not only will this be an incredible feature in the years ahead, it will allow you to earn significant money when your car is a year or two old (when you'll be less OCD about your "new" car's minor wear and tear from being used in the Tesla Network). And, Tesla just announced Free Supercharging for the first year if you take delivery within a certain window:

Tesla offers one year of free Supercharging to incentivize deliveries in record quarter attempt - Electrek

All just FYI . . . .

I’ve talked to multiple Tesla employees and they don’t have a way to remove FSD from used inventory. They can only remove it from new inventory cars.

It’s unfortunate, since it would be a no-brainer for me to buy one without FSD if it was in the $20k’s. I also find it hard to believe that all used cars they have listed had FSD purchased by the original owner (I assume Tesla is including it and charging $10k above the non-FSD price). Great for business (and shareholders like me), but not for someone looking for a Model 3 in the $20k’s. ;) Guess I’ll wait a little longer until Model 3’s drop into the $20k range. :(

I’ve talked to multiple Tesla employees and they don’t have a way to remove FSD from used inventory.
They might not be able to remove the FSD hardware, but sure as hell could disable FSD, like they've done in several cases. Didn't follow them, to see if there were lawsuits involved, and what happened. No way I'd buy a used Tesla with FSD, or at least I wouldn't pay for it. I would assume Tesla removing any leftover premium connectivity too, but at least that is not a big deal, as the yearly cost is $100 or so. But paying thousands more for FSD, and end up not having it, would really suck.

They might not be able to remove the FSD hardware, but sure as hell could disable FSD, like they've done in several cases. Didn't follow them, to see if there were lawsuits involved, and what happened. No way I'd buy a used Tesla with FSD, or at least I wouldn't pay for it. I would assume Tesla removing any leftover premium connectivity too, but at least that is not a big deal, as the yearly cost is $100 or so. But paying thousands more for FSD, and end up not having it, would really suck.

They definitely have the capability to disable the FSD software, but from multiple Tesla contacts, they are indicating they won’t disable it to lower the used inventory pricing.

Reactions: cdswm3
That's exactly what happened to those folks, and then Tesla removed it after the sale. I'd treat all of that extra software crap as original owner only, like Kia/Hyundai do with the 10yr/100K powertrain warranty. Better safe than sorry. If you want FSD, I'd go new.

And my other question is how to add a used VIN to your Tesla account, to be able to use superchargers. Otherwise you'd be screwed if you want to travel. I didn't see any way to do that, but maybe I'm wrong. Or maybe Tesla needs to add it. Just curious, since I might buy a pristine 2021 M3 LR (Vroom, etc) in a few months, if my deal goes south, which is likely at this point. It's ridiculous how Tesla does business, at least where I live (TX).

Last edited:
I’ve talked to multiple Tesla employees and they don’t have a way to remove FSD from used inventory. They can only remove it from new inventory cars.

It’s unfortunate, since it would be a no-brainer for me to buy one without FSD if it was in the $20k’s. I also find it hard to believe that all used cars they have listed had FSD purchased by the original owner (I assume Tesla is including it and charging $10k above the non-FSD price). Great for business (and shareholders like me), but not for someone looking for a Model 3 in the $20k’s. ;) Guess I’ll wait a little longer until Model 3’s drop into the $20k range. :(
I think you're right and I've been thinking the same thing lately. All of their used Model 3's have FSD. I highly doubt it was actually that popular of an add on for their new cars. They are definitely adding it to their used inventory as a way to force more FSD computers onto the road. They have a lot of money invested in this technology and they are trying everything they can to increase the number of users on the road so they can improve it's capabilities as fast as possible. There's a lot of used inventory to move, but it appears they don't plan on removing FSD even if asked. I personally have zero interest in FSD, no matter how good it gets. Therefore I didn't even consider a used Tesla when I was shopping.
Interestingly, the only used cars you can find without FSD are the high mileage, really old Model S inventory. They must be getting more desperate to get rid of those cars now.