TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Will Tesla/Solar City Eventually Offer Community Solar?

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by GOTMEEV, Dec 18, 2016.

1. GOTMEEV

GOTMEEV Member

It's exciting to see advances in solar, including the new solar tiles from Solar City. My wife and I will certainly explore those solar tiles for our home. However, I wonder how others will benefit from such advancements if they face barriers such as lack of ownership, shade bearing objects, limited roof space, or wrong facing roof lines.

One company that seems to be addressing this issue is Clean Energy Company (no affiliation). There seem to be benefits to community solar relative to roof top solar as outlined here. The concept appears straight forward. Offer individuals the opportunity to host their panels at a nearby location.

Longer term, I wonder if this concept will progress to the point where consumers will have the opportunity to purchase part of an array of panels located in an entirely different state. Perhaps they will be able to sell their energy on the grid and apply the proceeds to their utility bill for their home or business. Tesla already offers utilities energy storage products that are used at solar farms. Perhaps these storage products can be used to make this option feasible. Which brings me to this question. Will Tesla/Solar City eventually offer community solar? Perhaps they should take a look at companies like Clean Energy Company.