Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla Stop Using 12 Volt Lead Acid Battery as the Warranty Replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, getting a replacement battery from Tesla within 24 hours just won't happen anymore. How long ago was yours replaced?
Another data point--About 3 weeks ago I got a 12v battery warning when I was repositioning my car in my driveway on a Sunday around noon. Car is 4 yrs old, 95k mi. I submitted a service request via the app and was able to schedule a mobile service appointment for 7:30-1200 the next day on Monday. I'm an hour away from the nearest service center. They arrived by 9:00 and left by 9:30am, so completed within ~21 hrs of the car throwing the code. Total cost: $112; $85 parts, $19.50 labor, $7 tax.

Tesla service made the battery replacement a total non-event for me. It was dirt cheap and simple compared to the multitude of other battery replacements I've done to my ICE vehicles.

Last edited:
That's good to know, but wish I could call and talk to someone at my nearest service center to actually find out if they have them. I have no problem installing the battery myself but not sure mobile service would just deliver me a battery.

Worth noting there are multiple reports that it is a good idea to disconnect the negative battery terminal from the 12V battery when performing the jump (I don’t think this is covered in the manual?). If your battery has failed, with the various checks Tesla has in place to prevent shutdown, the failure is likely to be quite catastrophic. They just keep catching more and more failure modes and escaping failure, so the ones they don’t, which require jumping, are likely the most severe (things like shorts that result in thermal runaway and battery destruction in a short time period). So good to disconnect the negative terminal and take the battery out of the picture in those cases, since it is probably in very bad shape.

The manual does have this somewhat ambiguous note which covers this case, but it may be tried only after you have exhausted your emergency jump, which is why this should be (arguably) done first…hence the need for a 10mm wrench:

View attachment 850014

Agreed on the need for the disconnect. I think it is just good to be aware of because if you have battery troubles and you recover your car to a working state, you’ll need it when you go to replace the battery.

I already have a 12V lithium battery tucked into the tow-hook port so that I can open the frunk when the 12V lead-acid battery fails. Now, thanks to your excellent point, I now have a 10mm driver in the frunk.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

Just because nobody had mentioned it in this thread yet, I will -- you can buy a replacement lead acid battery for Model 3 at any auto parts store and many big box stores. It's a group size 51R battery (you have to get it by the size since none of the computer or paper catalogs will list a compatible battery for Model 3). They will cost more than the $85 Tesla charges though.

I'm personally not worried about my lead acid battery on my Model 3 (4.5 years old and 89,200 miles) because I know exactly how the car works, how to jump start it, and can buy a replacement battery anywhere. I have a tiny A23 battery stashed behind the tow hook cover that I can use to pop open my frunk in case my lead acid dies. And I always keep a lithium ion jump starter in my frunk in case I need it (I've used it 6 times on other cars, haven't had to use it on mine yet). I also keep a small 10mm wrench in the case with my junk starter in case I have to disconnect the lead acid battery if it's in too bad of a condition and jump start the car directly. If one doesn't want to carry anything extra then they just need to ask a kind stranger for a jump or for a ride to and from the nearest auto parts store, where one can buy a replacement group size 51R battery and a 10mm wrench to replace it.

• Love
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
That's good to know, but wish I could call and talk to someone at my nearest service center to actually find out if they have them. I have no problem installing the battery myself but not sure mobile service would just deliver me a battery.

Just open a case in the app, select "Something Else" and tell them you want to order a 12V battery. Would like to have Mobile Service deliver it if possible, since you are 2+ hours from the service center.

In the time you took to write this post about a "wish I could" -- you could've opened the case in the app.

Forget the phone, once you embrace the app as your communication method, life gets oh so much easier with Tesla.

Forget the phone, once you embrace the app as your communication method, life gets oh so much easier with Tesla.
I will never embrace the app as the only way of communication, unless an actual person can respond via a text. The automated thing is not the way to go, for instance, Tesla now charges $100 if you need to reschedule an appointment. Well, if I get a flat tire on the way there and the service center is still over an hour away. The automated system won't care and I'll get charged. People are there, so someone can answer a freaking phone!

I will never embrace the app as the only way of communication, unless an actual person can respond via a text. The automated thing is not the way to go, for instance, Tesla now charges $100 if you need to reschedule an appointment. Well, if I get a flat tire on the way there and the service center is still over an hour away. The automated system won't care and I'll get charged. People are there, so someone can answer a freaking phone!

They do answer via text, in the app. I just took my car to the service center today. I opened my app last friday, made an appointment (first available, which was actually this monday or less than 1 business day later).

I made the appointment for 2 things, but when I got there I talked to the SA in person about 2 more things I wanted them to look at, and he added it to the request. They updated the app in real time while they were working on it, I could see when each of the 4 separate items was getting done as well as the notes from the tech.

All the above was warranty stuff, but I remembered (while the car was there) that I wanted them to do the cabin air filter as it had been a couple years since I last got it done. I messaged them in the app to see if they had time to add it. The tech I was working with responded (in the app) that they could do it, and the cost would be XXX. I asked them to add it (via the app), he replied (in the app) that he would send me a new estimate since this item had a cost.

I got the estimate in the app, approved it, and about 3 hours later got a text that it was done. I paid (in the app, using apple pay so my credit card was not trasmitted) and texted them back and told them I would be down to pick it up in a couple hours. Had wife take me down to get it.

Walked in, talked to the SA, thanked them for handling all the things for me that I requested, thanked the Tech I saw walking by (one of the things they fixed for me, I think was likely discretionary). Picked up key, drove home.

There's humans on the other side of the chat function -- it's not a fully automated system. A good friend is a service manager, so I can guarantee they are humans answering in real time. There are AI functions that try to route appropriately, but humans do see every ticket.

Not all service centers are as responsive as the one I use, for sure. But there are absolutely humans that review every service ticket submitted.

If you choose to not embrace their preferred form of communication, it's going to be a difficult row to hoe. That's not an indictment of you at all - I prefer to use the phone too - but just the reality of the situation. Like I said above, "not always better, not always worse, but almost always different!"

Reactions: Rocky_H and ucmndd
I made the appointment for 2 things, but when I got there I talked to the SA in person about 2 more things I wanted them to look at, and he added it to the request. They updated the app in real time while they were working on it, I could see when each of the 4 separate items was getting done as well as the notes from the tech.

That is excellent - most (if not all) of our nearby service centers use a 24 or 48 hour cutoff for adding items to an appointment. I understand why -- each additional item extends the time needed for service, and they schedule work based on how long each job should take, approximately. Glad they took great care of you!

That is excellent - most (if not all) of our nearby service centers use a 24 or 48 hour cutoff for adding items to an appointment. I understand why -- each additional item extends the time needed for service, and they schedule work based on how long each job should take, approximately. Glad they took great care of you!

Yeah I expected to be told "no, sorry" when I asked if they had time to add the other two items. This SC opened up in the past year, close to me, to take pressure off the next SC. The one I used to go to was about 45 miles away, this one is 1.5 miles away. I have been here three times now, once to pick up my wifes model Y, and two times for service. They have been great each time.

I fully realize thats not everyones experience, and even saying it, i sort of cringe because I half expect a bunch of people to post I either must be lying, or own tesla stock (I dont) or have some other ulterior motive, but I dont.

Reactions: dmurphy
Yeah I expected to be told "no, sorry" when I asked if they had time to add the other two items. This SC opened up in the past year, close to me, to take pressure off the next SC. The one I used to go to was about 45 miles away, this one is 1.5 miles away. I have been here three times now, once to pick up my wifes model Y, and two times for service. They have been great each time.

I fully realize thats not everyones experience, and even saying it, i sort of cringe because I half expect a bunch of people to post I either must be lying, or own tesla stock (I dont) or have some other ulterior motive, but I dont.
YMMV, I have SC called me to call back to discuss the ticket and I am able to call Tesla and eventually someone from SC picks up the phone. Of course, I have also experienced being routed to voice mail and nonresponsive.

I have added items to the service ticket but also got a message they won't be able to add additional service before I even asked. I guess it depends on SC and their schedules. The app definitely has human responses - I have experienced helpful (or at least honest) answers stating "this may be ...", "I don't know until the tech has looked into the issue", to plainly rude when I simply ask if I can schedule the frunk recall since there is an existing ticket and cannot schedule through the app (not asking to be done the same day) .. "Sir, we are not only serving you!".

Auxiliary battery failed at 4 1/2 years, 28k miles.

Tried to buy replacement battery over the counter, but they won't sell one that way.
Service call scheduled for next business day, total cost $118. Fine, as Service Center is 60 miles away.

Walmart had 51R (right size) in stock for $149, but NO VENT TUBE, which is important, IMHO.

Auxiliary battery failed at 4 1/2 years, 28k miles.

Tried to buy replacement battery over the counter, but they won't sell one that way.
Service call scheduled for next business day, total cost $118. Fine, as Service Center is 60 miles away.

Walmart had 51R (right size) in stock for $149, but NO VENT TUBE, which is important, IMHO.

What goes on down there in FL?! We have no problem at all buying parts over the counter, including the 12V battery. I mean, $118 installed by mobile service is very very fair but that’s not my point …. They still should be able to sell one OTC.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Isn't it obvious? Tesla has had known issues with this battery. I don't want to be stranded someplace without cell coverage in the middle of the night. Or end up missing an appointment because the 12volt battery died and I never got a warning that it was going bad. Worse yet, packed up and ready to go on a trip and it dies, then being told by Tesla that they are out of 12volt batteries and it could be a couple weeks or they have them but they can't get someone to me for a few weeks either.
Yep. I recently returned from vacation. Had my car parked at the airport. ( full charge ) Not under cover. So hot sun beating down on car for about ten days. Upon entering car it was very very low on battery to even drive car. Then warnings popping up on battery issue ( related to 12 volt ) and other misc warnings, such as inside camera. I had to have my 12 volt aux battery replaced. On a car with less then 6000 total miles.

Reactions: Resist