Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla support CarPlay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to incorporate as a software update. Some of the features the Model S already has, but some such as hands-free texting would definitely be nice. I hope they decide to do this.

The hands free texting was also a feature touted by Elon early on. Offhand I don't see much more offered by this than Tesla already does.

I hope they don't integrate this system. Apple is notorious for not working with other systems. Without getting into any debates about technology I would say this is a bad idea. I would prefer something open than something closed.

It not that the feature set isn't duplicated in the Tesla, but the convenience of having your familiar iphone content accessible in a safer way than holding it in and glancing down to your lap. T needs a solution everyone can use but some iphone users may prefer to use Apple's. Why does Bjorn still use TomTom? If I could put my iphone up on half the T screen I'd would.

It's sad to not see Tesla on the the list of car companies supporting it:

Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz, Volvo,
BMW Group, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai Motor Company, Jaguar Land Rover, Kia Motors, Mitsubishi Motors, Nissan Motor Company, PSA Peugeot Citroën, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota Motor Corp.

This is just an ala mode initiative. I am skeptical of carplay having staying power. Orphaned devices litter every manufacturer's history, Apple is no exception. They tend to think in 2 or 3 year horizons. For what it's worth, android devices are there too. At least the auto manufacturer is motivated to keep to 4, 6, 8 year old (or older) cars working. Apple doesn't show even a hint of backward compatibility with older iPhones.

An additional concern is that this is closed to other phone makers so there is no documented public interface.

It not that the feature set isn't duplicated in the Tesla, but the convenience of having your familiar iphone content accessible in a safer way than holding it in and glancing down to your lap.

I don't see what's so hard about doing that right now. My last car, a 2009, had full iPod/iPhone integration, and it's infotainment system was powered by Windows Embedded Automotive.

I drove a rental car a few weeks ago, and it's Bluetooth integration worked pretty much the same as my Tesla, but as soon as I plugged in the USB cable I had full iPod controls there too.

What's the big deal?

I think Elon alluded to having a mirror mode on the Tesla in future updates where essentially the screen/touch response/function of your phone shows up on the central display. I have that on my Boxster using Pioneer AppRadio and ARliberator software for android and it is awesome. Your entire phone on the center screen with voice commands. Would be nice of they could integrate this for both iOS and Android users but android may come first given the preexisting relationship. Just my 2 cents.....

I don't see what's so hard about doing that right now. My last car, a 2009, had full iPod/iPhone integration, and it's infotainment system was powered by Windows Embedded Automotive.

I drove a rental car a few weeks ago, and it's Bluetooth integration worked pretty much the same as my Tesla, but as soon as I plugged in the USB cable I had full iPod controls there too.

What's the big deal?

Standard "iPod Integration" is just for music playing. CarPlay, also incluse Siri integration, navigation, messaging (read incoming messages eyes free, etc).

Even if Tesla Does not support CarPlay, I would expect them to at some point at least include the level of iPod/iPhone integration of the cheapest import car...

Model S touchscreen has two halves where apps live - top half and bottom half. I don't see why they couldn't add another icon at the top for CarPlay, and then stream the CarPlay interface into either the top or bottom half of the screen. You can then swap the location, take it full screen, etc. Do as little or as much with CarPlay as you wish. It doesn't have to take over the car or be integrated into the car's controls, just sandbox it and let it live in its own space.

Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to incorporate as a software update. Some of the features the Model S already has, but some such as hands-free texting would definitely be nice. I hope they decide to do this.

The hands free texting was also a feature touted by Elon early on. Offhand I don't see much more offered by this than Tesla already does.

My Windows phone (with the 5.8.X update) cuts in and reads texts to me, and allows me to hands-free text reply.

If I want to initiate a text I do have to press a button on my phone.

So it could be done with iPhone without whatever software Apple is introducing.

I would like to see Tesla support CarPlay. It looks like there is a hardware component as well. Especially since the overlap between Model S/X buyers and iphone users is probably heavily skewed vs. other lux car brands.

Model S touchscreen has two halves where apps live - top half and bottom half. I don't see why they couldn't add another icon at the top for CarPlay, and then stream the CarPlay interface into either the top or bottom half of the screen. You can then swap the location, take it full screen, etc. Do as little or as much with CarPlay as you wish. It doesn't have to take over the car or be integrated into the car's controls, just sandbox it and let it live in its own space.

Agree with this. I think CarPlay, if implemented, would just be another 'app' in the Tesla UI. It would be selectable on the display and take up the half of the screen you wanted it to.

And it would have a settings configuration to allow its functions to be available if not on the screen.

At least that's how I would see it, if implemented.

CarPlay does not appear to be an app built on top of another OS. It appears to actually be the OS of the infotainment system. To implement in Model S would require Tesla moving away from Linux or IOS 7.1 SDK to support an app model for CarPlay API's which I highly doubt. But I'm happy to be wrong.